Good, Bad Ugly

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I would like to see a breakdown of Bama opponent penalties and see whether the opponent's game against ALabama was a season low for penalties and yards.
I'd bet that for several of Bama's opponents, the Bama game was a season low and for the rest, the Bama game was the 2nd lowest.
I do not believe in a conspiracy, I just think it is human nature. The refs look at Bama, then at the opponents, and decide, even subconsciously, to help the underdog a bit. A little tug on the jersey that would get called if a Bama o-lineman does it, won't get called if the defensive player being held is wearing a crimson jersey. There are a thousand judgment calls each game and a thousand shades of grey.
Alabama's opponents averaged 5.92 penalties in all other games while averaging 3.93 penalties against Alabama.

TeamPenalties Against AlabamaPenalty Yards Against Alabama
USC (13 games)T-34
Western Kentucky (14 games)12
Ole Miss (12 games)T-7T-9
Kent State (12 games)11
Kentucky (13 games)T-11
Arkansas (13 games)T-6T-9
Tennessee (13 games)11
Texas A&M (13 games)T-1213
LSU (13 games)2T-1
Mississippi State (13 games)T-44
UT-Chattanooga (12 games)T-11
Auburn (13 games)T-43
Florida (13 games)76
Washington (14 games)T-2T-1

So teams were penalized the least when facing Alabama five times in 2016. Six times opponents saw their least amount of penalty yards on the season.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
While the number of penalties surprises me a bit (I thought the gap would be wider too) it's still 33% drop in overall calls. My main question is specifically about holding though. We all watch these games closely. There's holding on every play...and that goes both ways, no tinfoil hat here, so why so few called against our opponents?
While that's rhetorical, I'd love to hear opinions.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
While the number of penalties surprises me a bit (I thought the gap would be wider too) it's still 33% drop in overall calls. My main question is specifically about holding though. We all watch these games closely. There's holding on every play...and that goes both ways, no tinfoil hat here, so why so few called against our opponents?
While that's rhetorical, I'd love to hear opinions.
I have no answer for this. No speculation. Nothing. I have nothing.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Considering the rankings, I'd be willing to bet almost anything that Bama is lowest for virtually every team - dead last in all of FBS...
What I was saying was, let's examine how many penalties say, Western Kentucky had against Alabama, and then how many penalties Western Kentucky has against the other 12 teams they played. This would give you an idea of how "clean" Western Kentucky's play was against Alabama and how prone they were to penalties on other fields.
Then, look at how many penalties Ole Miss had against Bama, and how many penalties they had against the other 11 teams they played, etc.
I would anticipate that the penalty totals against Alabama was the lowest for the season. Two explanations, either (a) teams realize they have to play mistake-free against Alabama and then go do it (easier said than done) or (b) the refs are (consciously or subconsciously) turning a bit of a blind eye to the errors of the underdogs. Everybody loves an underdog, right?

Thanks and a hat tip to Brad and RTR91. That was what I was looking for. So, except for Tex A&M, most teams played their cleanest game of the year, or nearly so, against Alabama.

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
"So, except for Tex A&M, most teams played their cleanest game of the year, or nearly so, against Alabama."
Not conspiring, just curious timing... F
orristall being "downfield illegally" costing us a first down at a key time? Go back and look, he's literally 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

dooger

Suspended
Dec 4, 2016
"So, except for Tex A&M, most teams played their cleanest game of the year, or nearly so, against Alabama."
Not conspiring, just curious timing... F
orristall being "downfield illegally" costing us a first down at a key time? Go back and look, he's literally 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage.
I think this horse is deceased. We just disagree that there is a conspiracy directed at Bama by the officials? What would be the point? I don't think Bama is being victimized by paid officials.

Roll Tide and I hope the next good, bad, ugly is heavy on the good and light on the bad and ugly. Clemson is really good and our offense is questionable...that is the potential ugly part of this game.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Easy explanation, teams play their best game against Alabama. They are focused because it would make their season to beat the Tide. I will say I saw a lot of uncalled and VERY obvious holding penalties this season. I know because I screamed it at the TV so loudly that I think Al Ford may have heard me in Birmingham.

dooger

Suspended
Dec 4, 2016
Easy explanation, teams play their best game against Alabama. They are focused because it would make their season to beat the Tide. I will say I saw a lot of uncalled and VERY obvious holding penalties this season. I know because I screamed it at the TV so loudly that I think Al Ford may have heard me in Birmingham.
If you watch games on TV with opposing fans, they make the same comments about Bama getting away with holding penalties and are convinced that "if" Bama were penalized Bama would not be the vest team in the country. My point is that we "all" see our teams with some degree of prejudice...good or bad. We are fans and that is what we do. We look at things from the perspective of supporting a team that can do little wrong. In the end, it probably comes out to be as fair as possible and the results are what they should be. Just my opinion. BTW, who is Al Ford?? Does he own a Ford Dealership in Birmingham? I don't live in Alabama.

dooger

Suspended
Dec 4, 2016
it was intended for you senor ;)
I got it. Intiendo(sp?) Now, let's all pull for The team we care about...U Of Alabama!! It is incredible when you imagine what Bama can accomplish by winning on Monday night. There is no program in history that comes close to the records for BAMA.. # of National Championships (12 or 17, does not matter, it's unmatched), 5 of the last 10, twice the number of SEC Championships to the closest competitor in conference,.. and still we want to get better. Is there another program in the country where these records could be consummated. Could you do this at USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, others? What is it about Bama that makes this possible? Is it tradition, support or many factors? Why has Saban stayed for 10 years and likely more? What is the difference and where else can/could this be done?

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I got it. Intiendo(sp?) Now, let's all pull for The team we care about...U Of Alabama!! It is incredible when you imagine what Bama can accomplish by winning on Monday night. There is no program in history that comes close to the records for BAMA.. # of National Championships (12 or 17, does not matter, it's unmatched), 5 of the last 10, twice the number of SEC Championships to the closest competitor in conference,.. and still we want to get better. Is there another program in the country where these records could be consummated. Could you do this at USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, others? What is it about Bama that makes this possible? Is it tradition, support or many factors? Why has Saban stayed for 10 years and likely more? What is the difference and where else can/could this be done?
When you make your 50th post, don't forget to comment on the fact that it's your 50th. It's kind a of a thing around here...

dooger

Suspended
Dec 4, 2016
When you make your 50th post, don't forget to comment on the fact that it's your 50th. It's kind a of a thing around here...
I am not familiar with the protocol. I am just trying to express an opinion. I'm really not trying to ruffle any feathers, although, it appears I have. I may have a different perspective on things because I am exposed to different fan bases all over the country. But, I find myself defending Bama because I grew up with Bear and have been a big fan. Things have changed and we, as a fan base, need to stay current with what is going on outside our own bias.
ROLL TIDE!! Let's celebrate another championship on Monday!! Now, is there another place where the record(s) Bama has achieved can be compared? This is truly incredible and so much in which to take great pride. Tide Pride!

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I am not familiar with the protocol. I am just trying to express an opinion. I'm really not trying to ruffle any feathers, although, it appears I have. I may have a different perspective on things because I am exposed to different fan bases all over the country. But, I find myself defending Bama because I grew up with Bear and have been a big fan. Things have changed and we, as a fan base, need to stay current with what is going on outside our own bias.
ROLL TIDE!! Let's celebrate another championship on Monday!! Now, is there another place where the record(s) Bama has achieved can be compared? This is truly incredible and so much in which to take great pride. Tide Pride!
It is like a birthday - 50th - 100th and every 100 until you hit 1000 ...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.