The Roles Are Reversed For 2016 The Championship Game

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Clemson also has a rugby kicker and Diggs isn't going to sniff a return in this game.
One thought that crossed my mind during the UW game was use Diggs as another rusher and go for a block since he's not going to be able to field a punt. I guess he is also playing a safety role though in case of a fake.

Bama went for a block at least once (when called for running into the kicker). It always seems like a rugby style punt takes time and may be susceptible to getting block but I don't think I've seen it happen much; maybe because they can get the foot on the ball quickly if they see pressure.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Also, the absence of Eddie on special teams has reduced our scoring potency as well. Last year we had Drake, and this year we have pretty much no one who is much of a scoring threat on a kickoff or punt return.
And man, I'd be lying if I said that some of those wonky but effective by Washington, and Trevon Diggs' struggles w them, didn't cause me more than a little angst...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
One thought that crossed my mind during the UW game was use Diggs as another rusher and go for a block since he's not going to be able to field a punt. I guess he is also playing a safety role though in case of a fake.

Bama went for a block at least once (when called for running into the kicker). It always seems like a rugby style punt takes time and may be susceptible to getting block but I don't think I've seen it happen much; maybe because they can get the foot on the ball quickly if they see pressure.
there were 2 or 3 that he completely shanked giving us great field position. each time we went 3 and out. i think in some part those were shanked because he was getting chased/pressured.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It usually is overlooked how many chess moves are made on special teams compared to how much offense and defense are dissected. There were a few things going on that made it hard for Alabama's special teams to get them off the rugby punt and/or field the punt cleanly:

1. Washington likes using the shield punt formation with wide splits. This makes it harder to get a defender around the corner to pressure the punter into an abbreviated roll out or block it outright.

2. Washington did a great deal of motions pre snap with the punt formation which I think affected our blocking schemes at times.

3. Washington and Chris Petersen are known for having inventive trick plays and great fakes in special teams formations.

There was a confluence of many factors that made it hard for us to get clean blocks and good pressure on the punter to force a quicker kick. We wanted to stay safe against them for the most part, but we probably had to concede having returnable punts in the process. To be honest, Diggs had one or two that he'd like to have back but several times the blocking wasn't there so several UDub players were around the bouncing ball. Diggs would've been foolish to get in the fray.

Washington didn't want to give up any non-offensive scores on returns. It feels like they spent a great deal of their prep time on taking our punt returner out of the game.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It usually is overlooked how many chess moves are made on special teams compared to how much offense and defense are dissected. There were a few things going on that made it hard for Alabama's special teams to get them off the rugby punt and/or field the punt cleanly:

1. Washington likes using the shield punt formation with wide splits. This makes it harder to get a defender around the corner to pressure the punter into an abbreviated roll out or block it outright.

2. Washington did a great deal of motions pre snap with the punt formation which I think affected our blocking schemes at times.

3. Washington and Chris Petersen are known for having inventive trick plays and great fakes in special teams formations.

There was a confluence of many factors that made it hard for us to get clean blocks and good pressure on the punter to force a quicker kick. We wanted to stay safe against them for the most part, but we probably had to concede having returnable punts in the process. To be honest, Diggs had one or two that he'd like to have back but several times the blocking wasn't there so several UDub players were around the bouncing ball. Diggs would've been foolish to get in the fray.

Washington didn't want to give up any non-offensive scores on returns. It feels like they spent a great deal of their prep time on taking our punt returner out of the game.
yeah, we gave up some field position on those punts, but there were several that i didn't want him anywhere near. i would rather have bad field position than to give them the ball on our side of the field.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

we noticed that saban was directing diggs where to stand on punt returns. he was usually motioning to him as they were doing their pre-snap motions.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Why do you think easy? Clemson was firing on all cylinders yesterday and are peaking at a good time.
Because if you roll the pocket with Jalen the defense will have to play run safe and Jalen can take advantage of their weaker secondary while totally avoiding their best pass rushers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.