Why Lane Kiffin played it safe, Jalen Hurts struggled against Washington

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Regarding the run/pass ratio on 1st down I'm looking at an interesting NFL chart right now that shows pass plays on first down are successful 52% of the time and run plays only successful 46% of the time with "successful" being described as a gain of 4+ yards. If our coaching staff studies charts like these then it might explain why they do some of the things they do.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He's not really a RB...
Which begs the question, why have him running the ball in that particular situation. He's great on the jet sweeps, but that was just a weird series of events, especially following a time out when we could have had the perfect personal in for that play. First time I recall AS lining up a running back all year.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Regarding the run/pass ratio on 1st down I'm looking at an interesting NFL chart right now that shows pass plays on first down are successful 52% of the time and run plays only successful 46% of the time with "successful" being described as a gain of 4+ yards. If our coaching staff studies charts like these then it might explain why they do some of the things they do.
I don't think the NFL experience can really be ported over CFB in many instances...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Which begs the question, why have him running the ball in that particular situation. He's great on the jet sweeps, but that was just a weird series of events, especially following a time out when we could have had the perfect personal in for that play. First time I recall AS lining up a running back all year.
Why on earth even do it with the RBs we have?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't think the NFL experience can really be ported over CFB in many instances...
The difference is NFL qbs and receivers aren't as green as college players. Running typically works better in college because it's more about imposing will, the NFL is about showcasing talent.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The difference is NFL qbs and receivers aren't as green as college players. Running typically works better in college because it's more about imposing will, the NFL is about showcasing talent.
Also, in the NFL, the talent's closing speed is so great that the YPC is generally lower than in CFB...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Why on earth even do it with the RBs we have?
Would have been a big gain if he had followed his blocking instead of cutting up field.

But more importantly I suspect it's planting seeds. I wonder if we don't we see that play again in the NCG, used to set up a pass from AS.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.