Disrespect and no "hand shake" coin flips.....

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I came away with two head-scratchers from the game.

1. Why intentionally not shake hands after flip?
2. Did Anderson personally feel disrespected? Or did he mean that the defense felt disrespected?

I do agree that it appears Ryan gets less love than Allen, Foster, Minkah, Williams....but I don't think that's what he meant. Anyone have any further insight?

10Bama54

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006
I was wondering about the handshake myself. That was not like Alabama at all. Had something happened during warm-ups?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I noticed the "no hand shake" after the coin flip. The ref told them to shake hands but everybody just left. mmmm...?

Don't know what Anderson meant. Seems to be no love lost between the two teams.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think the ref forgot he told them to shake hands before the flip, and the players weren't expecting him to tell them to do it after the flip, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think the ref forgot he told them to shake hands before the flip, and the players weren't expecting him to tell them to do it after the flip, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yeah, i saw them shaking hands so i was confused when i saw this clip after the game.

I think Ryan feels disrespected because he doesn't get the same attention as the other guys, Allen, Rueb, and Tim. That's what I feel about that. As for the coin flip, everyone is trying to drum up something. Good for our guys. It's what the doctor ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
The ref asked Washington if they wanted to receive the ball AFTER Alabama deferred and then announced that Washington elected to receive so maybe our player's eyes were twitching from the stupidity like mine were and they missed the request for the second handshake.

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
The ref asked Washington if they wanted to receive the ball AFTER Alabama deferred and then announced that Washington elected to receive so maybe our player's eyes were twitching from the stupidity like mine were and they missed the request for the second handshake.
I heard the ref say that and I asked my dad if they normally did that as I've never heard it. Ha. Guess not.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Ryan does not get the credit he deserves. One of the best players we have ever had at that position. Probably plays the run better than Tim and pretty similar as a pass rusher. Amazing he got no nods for any post season awards and totally disrespected for All SEC teams and All American teams.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I thought that the handshakes before the toss were warmer than usual. I must have glanced away because I missed the post-toss action completely, so I was also confused when I started hearing about the so-called "snub." Do we normally have double handshakes in the SEC? Someone save me from having to dig back through my DVR. It was hard to read #22's remarks as anything but personal, although he wasn't articulate enough to explain it. The reporter was trying to ask him why he felt disrespected, but he kept thinking that she was was asking why he was disrespected, not about his feelings. There must be some talk about the others getting more press, because a couple of the others, when interviewed, have gone out of their ways to give credit to him...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think Ryan feels disrespected because he doesn't get the same attention as the other guys, Allen, Rueb, and Tim. That's what I feel about that. As for the coin flip, everyone is trying to drum up something. Good for our guys. It's what the doctor ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
i get the feeling that everyone is pretty tired of us being on top.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

yeah, the ref's couldn't even get the coin toss right. it was nice to hear the loud chants of "eddie" during the toss.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Normally, I think they only ask that as a formality and then turn back to the team which opted to defer and ask them which goal they want to defend. Of course, this hardly matters in a dome, anyway...

GA_Tide

1st Team
Aug 24, 2006
Canton, Ga
I heard the ref say that and I asked my dad if they normally did that as I've never heard it. Ha. Guess not.
Technically Washington could choose a side instead of taking the ball. Then Alabama would get to choose to receive in the 2nd half too. I've seen it happen. The only unusual part was the ref announcing the deferment before asking Washington.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I
Technically Washington could choose a side instead of taking the ball. Then Alabama would get to choose to receive in the 2nd half too. I've seen it happen. The only unusual part was the ref announcing the deferment before asking Washington.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Thanks.

Alabama has done it. Under Stallings against Vandy I believe (but my memory may be failing me on which coaching staff and which game).

The deferral is a deferral of choice, not a deferral of receiving the ball, so it's not unusual to ask the toss-losing team what it wants to do in my opinion.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.