Disrespect and no "hand shake" coin flips.....

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
The ref asked Washington if they wanted to receive the ball AFTER Alabama deferred and then announced that Washington elected to receive so maybe our player's eyes were twitching from the stupidity like mine were and they missed the request for the second handshake.
Heard that and was scratching my head, thinking I must be missing something...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
From NCAA Football Rules:

e. The winner of the toss shall choose one of the following options:
1. To designate which team shall kick off
2. To designate which goal line his team shall defend
3. To defer his selection to the second half
f. The opponent shall then choose option 1 or 2 above, as available
g. If the winner of the toss chooses option 3 above, then after the opponent’s choice the winner selects the available option (1 or 2 above)
h. For the second half the loser of the toss, or the winner who chooses option 3 above, shall choose option 1 or 2 above The opponent then chooses the remaining available option

Alabama selected option 3. Washington could have selected which end of the field to defend and then Alabama would have been forced to decide which team kicks off. Instead, as most teams do in this situation, Washington decided that Alabama should kickoff then Alabama chose which end of the field to defend.

Alabama decided prior to the start of 2nd half that Washington would kickoff to start the 2nd half. Alabama could have chosen which end of the field to defend instead.

Sorry, I'm still not clear on this...

If the idea was that we wanted to defer getting the ball until the 2nd half, then why we wouldn't we just choose Option 1?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
We deferred our choice so they got to choose if they wanted to kick or receive. In the second half we got to choose kick or receive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Sorry, I'm still not clear on this...

If the idea was that we wanted to defer getting the ball until the 2nd half, then why we wouldn't we just choose Option 1?
if you defer, there is a chance the other team will dork it up and kick off to you twice.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
We deferred our choice so they got to choose if they wanted to kick or receive. In the second half we got to choose kick or receive.

if you defer, there is a chance the other team will dork it up and kick off to you twice.

K thanks guys...

I now get that by choosing Option 3, we're safeguarding our preference to receive the ball to start the 2nd half, while still leaving our opponent the opportunity to mess up what happens to start the game...

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Being at the game, I was unaware of the coin flip incident. However, after the game, a solid 75-80% of Washington players went straight to the locker room without shaking hands. There are always some players that do this, and perhaps I read too much into it, but it was they way their players made their way to the locker room almost staring down our guys that had me wondering if they had been told to forego post game mingling. I know there were some ill feelings at the end but once the final whistle blows, show some respect for the guys you just battled for 3+ hours. That would also be my message to the Washington reporter that tweeted 'stay classy Alabama' when our fans were chanting 'SEC' at what turned out to be the same time the final two personal fouls were called. Of course I find it better wiser not reply to idiotic butt-hurt reporters as they'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience. Okay, now that the 24 hour rule is nearly over, I'm shifting focus on to the CFP National Championship game.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Jonathan Allen was asked after the game about not shaking hands a second time at the coin toss and he said they were in a hurry since Bama was on Defense first and they needed to huddle and complete the defensive team prayer before the kick off.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Re: Disrespect and no "hand shake" coin flips.....

Alabama has done it. Under Stallings against Vandy I believe (but my memory may be failing me on which coaching staff and which game)
1992 vs. Vandy, was my first game I ever attended in person and we were also wondering why Vandy got the ball first and after the half because the refs never mentioned it and we were fuming.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Back to the original topic, I'm so sick of the manufactured villainy of our team by the media. Sportscenter even posted a video on instagram of us walking away, and there was no clarifying point that we had shaken hands prior. The caption was even something to the effect of; "Bama wasn't feeling pregame handshakes." I expect crap like this from hack media sources desperate for hits, but this is from ESPN. The unquestioned gold standard of sports media.

The other thing that sticks in my craw is the reaction to the Brett McMurphy comments on Jonathan Allen. Last time I checked, there was no video or recorded evidence that he made those comments. Just McMurphy's word against Allen's. Yet the comments were being reported as fact in articles by sites like ESPN, SI, CBS and all other big sources. Most of those articles aren't even bringing up Allen's rebuttal until the end of the article. CBS for example after using his alleged quotes as fact, then go out of their way to discuss Peterson's "classy" postgame comments regarding our defense. (Basically he said we were as good as they expected as to be.)

At this point, the media is virtually trying to turn us into Miami of the 80's. Trying to instigate feelings that our guys are a bunch of mouth running punks. They are trying to vilify us to the intention of making it an even bigger deal if someone knocks us off our throne. It's frustrating to see our team misrepresented, but I guess that's to be expected when you achieve the historic level of dominance that we have.

Here's to hoping everyone has to wait at least one more year to call the dynasty over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
No one cares about any team other than Bama, Clemson, Ohio St or Michigan. And that's it. So, someone has to be the heal. To be honest, I'm surprised it took this long.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Unfortunately ESPN has become agenda driven .....much like political media...msnbc, CNN, Fox etc.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Being at the game, I was unaware of the coin flip incident. However, after the game, a solid 75-80% of Washington players went straight to the locker room without shaking hands. There are always some players that do this, and perhaps I read too much into it, but it was they way their players made their way to the locker room almost staring down our guys that had me wondering if they had been told to forego post game mingling. I know there were some ill feelings at the end but once the final whistle blows, show some respect for the guys you just battled for 3+ hours. That would also be my message to the Washington reporter that tweeted 'stay classy Alabama' when our fans were chanting 'SEC' at what turned out to be the same time the final two personal fouls were called. Of course I find it better wiser not reply to idiotic butt-hurt reporters as they'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience. Okay, now that the 24 hour rule is nearly over, I'm shifting focus on to the CFP National Championship game.
the 22 guys on the field at the end were shaking hands, back-slapping, etc. as the final whistle blew, but uw got off the field pretty quick. i don't blame them. they were setting off fireworks, dropping confetti, etc.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
the 22 guys on the field at the end were shaking hands, back-slapping, etc. as the final whistle blew, but uw got off the field pretty quick. i don't blame them. they were setting off fireworks, dropping confetti, etc.
And a long flight home... :wink:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.