How good is Clemson's defensive line, relative to opponents Bama has faced this year?

MobileBama84

Scout Team
Aug 30, 2016
Daphne, AL
Can anyone give some good facts and comparisons between Clemson's defensive line and one we have already faced this year that may be similar (or not)? I know it is a bit of a vague question, but I am wondering how well our OL protects our backfield and opens holes against Clemson.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
While there is no transitive property in college football, LSU's front seven performed much better against Louisville than Clemson's.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Can anyone give some good facts and comparisons between Clemson's defensive line and one we have already faced this year that may be similar (or not)? I know it is a bit of a vague question, but I am wondering how well our OL protects our backfield and opens holes against Clemson.
They are like Washington and LSU, but the big difference is that they don't have the playmakers behind them like Washington and LSU. Them losing Alexander and Green to the draft hurt them. I think Bo,Dieter ,and Stewart are going to have over 100 yards if they are put in the right position.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Former Ohio State Heisman Candidate and running back Robert Smith has said numerous times on Sirius radio that his alma mater, this season, has a very weak offense because they have no downfield passing threat from either the Quarterback or the wide receivers. Basically Clemson just stacked the box and stopped the quarterback. That was all they had to do to beat Ohio State. They'll have a bit more to defend against Bama. Clemson is by no means a great defense. When they've faced good offenses this season(Pittsburgh-FSU-Louisville-Va Tach) they've given up quite a few points.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The d-line gets great pressure right up the middle. Roll out Jalen and let him take their secondary apart. Your receivers are going to have room in this game. Jalen will have a chance to light it up. It really is his chance to shine.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Clemson is comparable to LSU up front...secondary is down compared to the unit we played last year. They love their cross fire zone blitz, so their interior pressure is usually elite.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
It is not really productive breaking down the individual units without considering the team as a whole. Last night in the Peach Bowl was an example. Our D saw that our O was struggling and decided to take matters into their own hands and score points. Clemson has a great team and they will be ready and hungry to win a, gulp, "natty." It will take our best performance of the year but I believe that our team is superior.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Clemson is comparable to LSU up front...secondary is down compared to the unit we played last year. They love their cross fire zone blitz, so their interior pressure is usually elite.
Good thing RG was a stone wall last night.

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
One thing I saw in the osu line was Clemson would cross their dlineman at the snap and it would totally confuse osu's line. I don't think Clemson will be able to confuse Bama's line.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Former Ohio State Heisman Candidate and running back Robert Smith has said numerous times on Sirius radio that his alma mater, this season, has a very weak offense because they have no downfield passing threat from either the Quarterback or the wide receivers. Basically Clemson just stacked the box and stopped the quarterback. That was all they had to do to beat Ohio State. They'll have a bit more to defend against Bama. Clemson is by no means a great defense. When they've faced good offenses this season(Pittsburgh-FSU-Louisville-Va Tach) they've given up quite a few points.
I've been saying that a lot on this very forum myself. Buckeyes lacked offensive weapons this season. Their WR's were below average and couldn't get consistent separation. They have below average RB's. TJ Barrett is a below average QB. In short, their offense sucked this season. It sucked.

And I feel like UW and LSU are the two DL's that compare with Clemson.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
When the pairings were announced I thought Clemson-OSU would be a dogfight. I came around to the line of thinking that Clemson would win by 3 scores or more within the last week. I looked at some of OSU's stats and just didn't think they could keep pace with Clemson's offense without non-offensive scores.

I'm concerned about our passing game because over most of the last 6 games we've had a problem with surprising predictability in playcalling w/r/t what and when we're going to pass plus Hurts has missed open guys more than I figured he would be this point in his first campaign. If we can't establish our playmakers on the perimeter in the pass game, it could be an ugly night where we've got to hope that our elite defense can make one of the best college quarterbacks over the last decade look average. I'm betting we're gonna need to score a whole bunch...ideally early and often so we can get Clemson into bad balance. You stop teams with elite quarterbacks with your own offense. You put them in a scenario where they have to throw it constantly and take away some of his supporting cast as runners that keep you honest.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We won't really know how good Clemson's OL is until they play us. They struggled against weaker teams earlier in the season and we don't really know quite yet how weak OSU's defense is because it's not fully evident how strong/weak the B1G was. So far, they're underwhelming...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
OSU's DL was not that great this year in my opinion. They were really inconsistent with their ability to generate pressure throughout the season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.