Does Tua play the role of Watson this time around?

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Or do we bring in Blake Sims again. Obviously we have no QB's on staff to simulate Watson like Jalen did last year at this time.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Umm. Jalen's still on the team. You don't think practicing against him all year helps the D out?

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
While Bama has nobody that can simulate what Watson can do, though I think Hurts does a pretty solid imitation, the same can be said about Clemson and having to face this Bama's defense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He's in San Antonio for the Army All American game, which is played next Sunday, so no, he won't play the role of Watson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Or do we bring in Blake Sims again. Obviously we have no QB's on staff to simulate Watson like Jalen did last year at this time.
I don't think we can bring in Blake Sims again since he is now on the scout team as a RB for Tampa Bay (at least last week he was). Can you bring him in anyway, or not, since he is active on NFL? I am not sure but we need him or Tua to help us out.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'll be honest - I'm not sure Hurts really helped the team get a feel for Watson last year. They're just really different in style. Sims would probably be a closer match wrt scrambling style.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think we can bring in Blake Sims again since he is now on the scout team as a RB for Tampa Bay (at least last week he was). Can you bring him in anyway, or not, since he is active on NFL? I am not sure but we need him or Tua to help us out.
Well, their season is now over.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'll be honest - I'm not sure Hurts really helped the team get a feel for Watson last year. They're just really different in style. Sims would probably be a closer match wrt scrambling style.
With his down field passing, I agree.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Blake is signed to the practice squad. I don't think he can help us at this time. I wouldn't be shocked if we brought someone in from outside to help us.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I know he practiced at the position for the scout team, I'm simply saying Im not sure Hurts can even begin to emulate Watson. Sims would probably be a batter simulation. 40 points makes me think Hurts didn't help as much as we would have hoped...
Few things you probably didn't factor into:
1. Kirby was calling the game last year. This year it's Pruitt's defense.
2. The two touchdown by Clemson was accurate on throw. That was 14-7 at that time. Clemson never scored a touchdown in second quarter. Second half.. we gave up 26 points, and that was at the point where we were putting Rabbit package on the field.

So Do I feel like Hurts helped them 100 percent ? Not really, but he definitely played a role in helping a team preparing for Watson. Per ESPN:"He was on the scout team breaking our defense off," Alabama center Bradley Bozeman said. "It was pretty impressive."

I just think Defense kinda was somewhat exposed with Kirby Smart. This year will be lot different. So yes, it helps to have a player simlar to Watson, but I don't think it would be necessary because we already know what he can do.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I disagree. I remember reading several of the team defense saying that his elusive helped them get a feel for when to plant to prepare for a spin or sidestep vs charging in and wiffing air.

While it may have just of been lip service, I like to believe it made the little bit of difference that allowed a few more sacks that otherwise would have been huge gains.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Blake is signed to the practice squad. I don't think he can help us at this time. I wouldn't be shocked if we brought someone in from outside to help us.
We're not free to bring in just anyone, anyway. Among the available former players, JPW is certainly not going to help. If Blake is active, even on a practice squad, he's unavailable...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.