Question: Question for contractors and others. Help mounting security cameras.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
So I have lucked into a Lorex 4 camera DVR home camera system and I'm dead set on wiring it up myself. My house is two stories and the plan is to have one under the eaves on each corner with one covering the driveway, one covering the back door, one covering the front door and one covering the garage doors. All of the cameras will be out of reach.

The problem is the wiring. What I would have preferred was to drill through the soffit, have them meet centrally in a small unfinished space upstairs along the AC lines or some such and run them down to the man cave in the basement where my DVR is located, but there's no way to get them down there without running them through the wet wall on two of the corners. No attic access. Wires exposed isn't an option, so what I'm planning to do instead is run conduit up each corner beside the downspouts, drilling through the wall just above the foundation and entering the house that way. These will unfortunately be within reach on three of the four corners.

So, for any contractors and anyone else with experience doing this: how difficult is it to run wires up through the wet wall of a house? Is my thinking with the conduit a better option? Aesthetics aren't an issue as they'll be by downspouts and match my paint anyway.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
How about running the wiring inside the downspouts....covert fashion?
For 3 reasons:

1. This is Siamese cable (Coax with BNC connectors and DC power) and it's not recommended you get it wet.

2. Obstructing the downspouts, you run the risk of clogging and having the gutters overflow. Big problem at my house as I'm surrounded by trees and must get up on a ladder and clean the stupid things at least twice per year. I swear if I win the lottery, first thing I do is cut down anything that doesn't keep sun off the house in the summer.

3. I prefer to meet code as closely as possible with my install.

Thinking I'm going to stick with the conduit option, but it's not too late to change it. I want to get at least one of the cameras up before I go back to work on Tuesday. Making a project of it, so as may as well document photographically. :)

So, here's where we started. Putting it on my 40 inch in the basement until I find a better option. The DVR is hard to see, but it's that black box on the shelf right below the TV. The computer is a Linux server currently sharing its internet connection. I'm going to make it play nice with the DVR. Maybe have it shoot me texts on movement detection on the door cams during scheduled hours.

First things first, I drilled a 1 inch hole through the drywall, cut out the paneling behind the TV with my saws all and installed that wall plate, then fished the cables through.

And now I'm just stapling it into place as I route it.

Up over some vent.

And roughly centered in the basement.

I'll star it out to the corners from there, and I want to drill at least one hole, get some conduit mounted and a camera up tomorrow morning. Gotta run back to a Home Depot though. Forgot to get a block of duct seal.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Looks good so far. But makes me think about doing something wireless if I ever do it at my place. Then again...if the gear landed in my lap...I may go with what I had!

Thanks for the update, keep us posted, and good luck!

Hey and don't forget there are 2 more bowl games (of interest) today! :)

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Looks good so far. But makes me think about doing something wireless if I ever do it at my place. Then again...if the gear landed in my lap...I may go with what I had!

Hey and don't forget there are 2 more bowl games (of interest) today! :)
Good luck against Iowa today, Bazza. Big 6 gotta keep the SEC afloat for bowl season. :cheers2:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
No attic access?
This house was sold unfinished 1992. The original owners completed the second level after having triplets. They completed two very large bedrooms, complete with washer dryer connections and such. They unfortunately closed everything off except for one small unfinished area on the east side of the second level. I brainstormed every option I could think of to get in the corners on the west side - push/pull poles, fish tape, conduit, everything - but it's obstructed and short of cutting drywall there's no way.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

They call it wireless, but you still have to get power up there somehow. I'll probably get a wireless FOSCAM or something as a baby monitor in the near future, but I wouldn't put anything like that on my house.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
If you have a soffit on your house you could (possibly) fish wire up inside the soffit from corner to corner to an accessible part of the attic. Not easy though.

Of course I know just about everything about everything but I wouldn't hazard advice WO seeing your house. Plastic conduit is cheap and easy to use.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
If you have a soffit on your house you could (possibly) fish wire up inside the soffit from corner to corner to an accessible part of the attic. Not easy though.

Of course I know just about everything about everything but I wouldn't hazard advice WO seeing your house. Plastic conduit is cheap and easy to use.
Yeah. The thought had occurred to me, which is why mentioned the push pull rod. I was going to try with thirty feet or so but when I managed to get down along the soffit on the east side and have a look I realized it wasn't happening. Simply too obstructed to get anything through there without drilling through some lumber.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.