Question: How Does Pruitt's Two Games Against Clemson Help for This Game? Or Do They?

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
I believe Pruit is a better DC than Kirby. I didn't think that initially, but the proof is in the pudding this year.

I love how Pruit is more agressive and I think we'll use a more attacking style against Watson. Can't attack them like we did Washington (because of DW's scrambling ability), but Pruit will figure out a way to pressure their OL and Watson like they probably haven't seen all year by anybody else!
Before we start anointing Pruitt as better than Kirby, let's step back a minute. We won 4 national Championships with Kirby as our DC. Defense had always led the way in most of those years. Our defense and Kirby get a bad wrap from last year's game and mainly due to the 4th quarter that Clemson had and mainly their last three drives. It was tied at 24-24 with a little over 10 minutes to go and then it became a track meet. Our defense went to a somewhat prevent type defense after we took the 31-24 lead and played Clemson that way the rest of the game. We had allowed basically 300 yards and 24 points through 3-1/2 quarters and then on their last three possessions they went 61 yards for a FG, 75 yards for a TD, and 68 yards for a TD (204 yards and 16 points). Also remember that our defense was a little gassed in the 4th as we had to go back out there when Kenyan ran the kick back. However, our defense limited the big TD plays and made Clemson drive the ball for their points. Ole Miss had a similar run late in the game this year to make the score closer than it felt and racked up a lot of yards in the late 4th quarter. It happens.

I am happy with Coach Pruitt and I think he has had a fantastic year as our DC but it is not like he was left with nothing to work with. Our defense has evolved over the last 10 years and even though Smart and Pruitt are great DC's, as long as Saban is here, we are never going to have a bad defense.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
To put it in military terms...

Kirby is more like the Roman army in that he believes size and complexity rule the day

Pruitt is like a Viking raiding party in that it's an unrelenting onslaught that keeps you off balance.

Both have tremendous success, but against Clemson I rather have Deshaun running than passing. Keeping the ball out of Williams and runfrow's hands is the biggest key to the ballgame on defense. Plus I don't think we tested Watson's limits last year, and every man has his limits.
Deshaun running is what extended drives last year, I think you attack him and force him to throw, which could disrupt the timing of the WRs if there is pressure. And we couldn't get pressure on him for most of the game

"Roll Tide"

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Deshaun running is what extended drives last year, I think you attack him and force him to throw, which could disrupt the timing of the WRs if there is pressure. And we couldn't get pressure on him for most of the game

"Roll Tide"
Agreed. Teams that have done that this year has caused him to throw a bunch of INT's. We are fair to middling at making INT's count. ;)

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
I think Jeremy Pruitt is the x factor in this game. Kirby was more conservative than Pruitt. Pruitt is very agressive and that is what we are going to need in this game. We have to be aggressive and come after Watson. We have to make him uncomfortable. He's a tough kid. He got knocked around in the national championship game last year. It's imperative that we have someone in his face and knock him around.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.