What We'll Do Differently Against Clemson

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017
We do nothing differently than what we have done all year. The defense plays its game and I think you will see a hit early on where Watson will realize that he is not playing against a wall of 300lb giants(Reed and Robinson) that he can run around easily. I'd feel completely confident if Eddie and Shaun DH were in the lineup but I think the group dominates anyways.

I know the media narrative has all the pressure on Bama and none on Clemson but I bet Dabo is feeling the heat. After the onsides kick last year...if the D can force a turnover or a NOT then I bet Dabo makes a few mistakes.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
And what the negative nellies keep saying about "changing OCs a week before the championship game" aren't admitting is that Sark has been listening to each call in games, in meetings developing game plans and knows our plays as well as anyone. It's not like he's been brought in off the street and introduced to a brand new job he knows nothing about.

Will it be different for JH and Sark? Sure. Will it be catastrophic? No way.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Against Washington your defensive game plan was simple - push the pocket from one side, forcing Browning to move off of his spot. His passing percentage is amazing if he can drop back to a spot and pass, and it is horrible if he is forced off of that spot. The plan worked to perfection. The lone TD drive came when you attacked the LOS straight up. Once you started the single side blitzes, he became a below average QB and the game was over.

Against Watson, I suspect that you are going to have to attack straight up the middle, or around both edges. But you will not be able to abandon the middle of the field like you did against Washington. Watson will tuck it and run all night if you do that. In other words, your defensive game plan should be similar to what you did against Miss State, not what you did to Washington.

Offensively, you face teams with very different strengths. Washington had a very good D-Line, as does Clemson. Clemson has an NFL LB in Boulware, where Washington was really weak at LB. Boulware will be tasked with containing Jalen and stopping runs up the middle - think Foster.

Running between the tackles is almost impossible against Clemson. They have 2 of the best DTs in the game, and Boulware behind them. But you can have great success attacking the edges because of their weakness - Clemson's best DBs from last year all went to the NFL. So you will have many opportunities down the field in this game if Jalen has the time to get off the passes, and you can have success with bubble screens and sweeps.

I think that Alabama's offense will attack the edges all night long, running off tackle and using Jalen's RPO play book. Last week was Bo's turn to shine. This week will be Jalen's. I look for him to score 3+ times and be the offensive MVP. I also look for a huge game from Stewart.
I think it may be Damien Harris's week. All the runs that DH typically waits on and then breaks weren't there against UW, but may be there against Clemson due to the fact they overpursue. The jet sweep may actually be our friend this week due to their tendencies, and run counter off of it.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think it may be Damien Harris's week. All the runs that DH typically waits on and then breaks weren't there against UW, but may be there against Clemson due to the fact they overpursue. The jet sweep may actually be our friend this week due to their tendencies, and run counter off of it.
DH may start.. but I think Bo takes over the game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
DH may start.. but I think Bo takes over the game.
DH has the best vision of all of our backs. Over-pursuit will provide those cutback lanes that he is so good at seeing.

Throw in the occasional jet sweep that makes 'em run sideline to sideline with AS and CR and then give 'em a heavy dose of BS late in the game.

I hope this game plan will look alot like some of our earlier ones!

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Didn't Ohio State try to run around them? They seem to do a pretty good job on stopping the sweeps. Pitt was one of the few teams that seemed to run the ball up the middle on them and than capitalized on the play action passes. They practice against the QB keeper and jet sweeps all the time. Thats what they do on offense in the running game. I believe we are going to have to mix it up but by no means can we scrap the power run game.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
DH has the best vision of all of our backs. Over-pursuit will provide those cutback lanes that he is so good at seeing.

Throw in the occasional jet sweep that makes 'em run sideline to sideline with AS and CR and then give 'em a heavy dose of BS late in the game.

I hope this game plan will look alot like some of our earlier ones!
Here's why I said that: Washington had 22 missed tackles in the game... You might feel that DH had best vision, but Bo can make the team get tired of trying to tackle him. You see.. in 3rd quarter and 4th.. We want Bo to impose his physicality on Clemson D... wear them out.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Didn't Ohio State try to run around them? They seem to do a pretty good job on stopping the sweeps. Pitt was one of the few teams that seemed to run the ball up the middle on them and than capitalized on the play action passes. They practice against the QB keeper and jet sweeps all the time. Thats what they do on offense in the running game. I believe we are going to have to mix it up but by no means can we scrap the power run game.
yes OHIO did try to do that, but we can't really use Ohio state as en excuse because OHIO did something that most team feared:
1. Lack of executions and too many mistakes... They didn't play like they wanted to be there. They got knocked and quit easily. I feel like If OHIO came to play... the sweep plays would've worked well. I thought OHIO was better than Clemson in some area, but they weren't.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I thought besides a few runs in the first half that Clemson really did a good job of preventing Henry from getting a head of steam. I've wondered if Harris might not be the better back for this game some lately. We need someone who hits the hole quick because they do a lot of slants and twists...take too long and the opportunity disappears.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I thought besides a few runs in the first half that Clemson really did a good job of preventing Henry from getting a head of steam. I've wondered if Harris might not be the better back for this game some lately. We need someone who hits the hole quick because they do a lot of slants and twists...take too long and the opportunity disappears.
Well, they do look similar....

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I just came across some highlights of the 2014 season specifically some of Blake Sims highlights. Boy, I wish we could get Hurts passing game to the level of Sims coupled already with his running skills, he would really be a complete player. Its really ironic at how similar their styles of play are.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.