T. Boone Pickens ex-wife wanted "black people food" at her ranch

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Around my family, black-eyed peas are a New Year's Tradition.
Black eyed peas, turnip greens and cornbread on New Years Day means good luck for the new year. My dear old dad would also include souse meat and head cheese as well. But not me.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Black/Southern same thing. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
That's my thought as well. I think a lot of the association of Southern cooking as black comes from, 1) northerners who moved south and had black people cooking for them and 2} northerners who see the food in the largely black populated areas of big cities where blacks from the South moved into the cities up north and brought their southern cooking with them. A lot whites and blacks with southern roots grew up eating the same foods; some recipes originating from Europe and some originating from African and getting tweaked in southern kitchens.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Don't forget the jar of lard/bacon grease next to the stove. Add some to just about anything. mmmm... good. Unhealthy but back then people worked really hard and mostly negated the effects of a fried high fat diet.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Man, I miss my grandma even more now. Lemon pie and Orange cake to go along with everything else...damn those were good times and I didn't realize how good I had it then.
i had one grandmother (dad's side) who was out of this world as a cook. rarely used recipes so unfortunately we can't recreate any of it. she could bake like the devil too.

That's my thought as well. I think a lot of the association of Southern cooking as black comes from, 1) northerners who moved south and had black people cooking for them and 2} northerners who see the food in the largely black populated areas of big cities where blacks from the South moved into the cities up north and brought their southern cooking with them. A lot whites and blacks with southern roots grew up eating the same foods; some recipes originating from Europe and some originating from African and getting tweaked in southern kitchens.
Yep, exactly. It really isn't a thing. It's just funny.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Don't forget the jar of lard/bacon grease next to the stove. Add some to just about anything. mmmm... good. Unhealthy but back then people worked really hard and mostly negated the effects of a fried high fat diet.
Yep...and mine also kept leftover biscuits (drop biscuits that is; my grandmother didn't cut biscuits) and cornbread on a plate covered with a paper towel.

And don't forget the slop bucket on the back porch.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Yep. My great grandmother weighed about 100 lbs soaking wet and lived to be 94. She deep fried everything and smoked two packs of cigarettes a day, but she sweated working in the textile mills and her garden and farm. I think there's something to be said for sweating out the toxins...as well as some good genes. My cholesterol level is ridiculously low and think some of it's genetic. Thanks Mama Barker!

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
We still eat food like that @ the exiled ranch too. I'm one generation away from "If we don't kill, catch, or grow something, we'll go hungry." mrs. exiled grew up fetching the eggs from the chicken house and picking peas & turnips & such from the garden.

Related funny: One of my grandmas was an amazing cook. The other one was most definitely not (long sad story centering on her Mother being committed to Bryce for life when Grandma was 11 or 12.) Thus, Grandma never really learned how to cook since she was tossed into the deep end of the pool & had to teach herself to swim (in terms of cooking).
With that as the back story, my Mom says she was the only Southern Bride in all of history whose husband was glad to get away from his Mother's cooking. :biggrin2:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Yep, exactly. It really isn't a thing. It's just funny.

Kind of like the fried chicken and watermelon stereotype. I mean, who the heck doesn't like fried chicken? I can see more people not liking watermelon - it can be a bit stringy - but I'd venture to say most Americans like watermelon, too.

It's not like a certain segment of the population is wrapping the fried chicken in the watermelon, battering it all up, and then frying it.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Kind of like the fried chicken and watermelon stereotype. I mean, who the heck doesn't like fried chicken? I can see more people not liking watermelon - it can be a bit stringy - but I'd venture to say most Americans like watermelon, too.

It's not like a certain segment of the population is wrapping the fried chicken in the watermelon, battering it all up, and then frying it.
Sounds like a new treat at the Texas State Fair.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I have found that what most of the country calls "black" is really just a Southern thing. Black and white Southerners are much more similar culturally than white Southerners and white Yankees. I am grateful for that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.