Kiffin gone for Championship Game - new OC Sark will calls plays

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
Re: Kiffin Will Not Call Plays for Championship Game

I did ask if we could leave Kiffin in Atlanta. Haha...got my wish. ;)
One comment I made in the second qtr to my son was "can kiffen go on and leave for fau?". It was two days late but...... you are either all in or all out. Lane wasn't all in and it showed. Didn't Saban say he regretted letting smart stay on and it disrupted the practices?

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan

Sounds like something big went down, otherwise why do this?
I am in no way connected to the program but my guess would be
1. Saban didn't won't Lane there after SECCG
2. Kiffin didn't get any of the upfront jobs (Houston/South Florida/Oregon etc.
3. Saban, did Lane a solid and sold him in press to help him get a job
4. Saban didn't think FAU would be as big as a distraction as UGA was with Kirby
5. Something was critiqued and the response was not what it should have been
6. Lane is gone

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
LOL, you think this was Kiffin's choice to make?
I doubt it. Saban did everything he could to support Smart in the same situation, but I think a lesson was learned then also. Then the UW game confirmed it. This was fast developing. It went from rumor to confirmed while I was trying to run it down...

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
This is brilliant really. If we lose, the refrain will be "It's all Kiffin's fault. He couldn't stay focused and it cost us a title." If we win, it will be "Saban has proved once again just what a genius he really is." CNS can't lose from a PR standpoint (although I know that's not really his concern here).

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
If Sark were new in Tuscaloosa I'd be worried, but since he's been with the team all fall, knows the players, the plays, etc, I'm not worried. In fact, it means there will be a different tendency in play calling - something Clemson simply cannot plan for. Combine that with our defense - we got this!

RTR
But hasn't Sark been in an observing role only? How much direct interaction has he had with the players? Will he be in the booth or on the field Monday night? I don't doubt his play-calling ability, but from a logistical standpoint are we ready for this change? If we pull this off seamlessly and no hiccups at all then that will really be something.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Wow, I go drop the kids off at the pool and come back and this thread has blown up in just a few minutes!!!

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama

I was excited when I first heard that Kiffin would stay for the playoff, because consistency is important. However, after the UW game, I'm not so sure anymore. Sark has been here observing for quite some time now, but he hasn't been able to talk with the players, has he? Will Sark call plays from the sideline, or from the booth? Do the players know him?

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

I'm just so happy right now !

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
So happy with this!!!.....can we revise our picks in the game thread now? Sark is gonna RUN IT!! Bo, Dame, and Joshua are about to get FED!!!
:party:

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007

"...you can just turn in your ring and your tie tack 'cause Coy, heh-heh, you are out of the Shrine!"

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
But hasn't Sark been in an observing role only? How much direct interaction has he had with the players? Will he be in the booth or on the field Monday night? I don't doubt his play-calling ability, but from a logistical standpoint are we ready for this change? If we pull this off seamlessly and no hiccups at all then that will really be something.
While he hasn't been allowed to coach the players, I have little doubt that he's been talking with them, getting to know them since he was hired.

Will it be hiccup-free? Doubtful. But neither was the game against UW. I'd rather try to move forward (trusting in Saban's judgment) than hope that somehow LK would call a fantastic game against Clemson.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.