Kiffin gone for Championship Game - new OC Sark will calls plays

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
This is brilliant really. If we lose, the refrain will be "It's all Kiffin's fault. He couldn't stay focused and it cost us a title." If we win, it will be "Saban has proved once again just what a genius he really is." CNS can't lose from a PR stanpoint (although I know that's not really his concern here).
Disagree. It's all on CNS as it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: Kiffin Will Not Call Plays for Championship Game

Wonder if CNS has the REC put a gag order on LK???

You can bet ESPN is efforting to get Kiffin on the air for his perspective on this. When they do it, it'll be very interesting!!!

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

It seems like a feast or famine move. While we can rightly question Kiffin's play-calling last game, Alabama also didn't just throw the game away either. If Alabama's offense comes out and looks polished, Saban will look like a genius. However, if Alabama's offense goes out there and implodes (which is possible given the inexperience and Clemson's defense)? Then... well I'm not sure how it will be viewed.

I think the concern is understandable. We don't know how Hurts will respond, we don't know how the offense will look. It could be great, but it could be a mess. So, I'm worried but also cautiously optimistic.
it is IMPOSSIBLE for our offense to look worse than it did Saturday. the only thing missing was the dropped INT that should've been a turnover

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I think we may see a little of Sark's offense. I think this could have been in the works during preparation for Washington which would explain why we were so vanilla for UDub. Even if that's not the case, it is enough to make Clemson wonder and to disrupt their game plan a little. I think it is genius and am pretty excited about it! READY TO ROLL!
If you thought switching QB's made it tough to plan for, try changing OC's

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Part of Jalen's regression has been Lane's stubborn insistence in putting him in plays that he's not yet comfortable with.

No the timing isn't great, but this obviously needed to happen. I don't think Kiffin learned a damn thing about running a program these past three years.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Kiffin's and Sark's offense is supposed to be the same, even in terminology. I don't think Clemson will waste much time watching UW and USC film. There's really no point in it as we cannot install new major concepts in seven days. It will be the same offense. The flow of the game might be different, and tendencies in certain circumstances (i.e., not getting "cute" inside the 15- please dear Lord let this change) might be different. Other than that I don't look for a lot of differences. No doubt a college coaching staff knows this well.
I've studied Sark's offense (and tried to implement some of it). He's a genius and much less arrogant. And the idea that what he & Lane does being similar is a little overblown. At this point, though, I doubt there's much we will change for this game. One significant difference is that instead of the bubble screen RPO, Sark's read is the slot receiver on a 5 yd hitch. Richard Mullaney would have looked like Jerry Rice in his offense. As you said, I doubt we'll see that before next season though.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
The last time we had an interim coach, "WE COULDN'T STOP THAT INSIDE TRAP!"

Somehow I think we'll be ok in this one. Everyone knows the Sark words "Winner is coming..."

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

And if Kiffin stayed, would it be any better against Clemson ? Coach Saban didn't think so.
it is IMPOSSIBLE for our offense to look worse than it did Saturday. the only thing missing was the dropped INT that should've been a turnover

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I've studied Sark's offense (and tried to implement some of it). He's a genius and much less arrogant. And the idea that what he & Lane does being similar is a little overblown. At this point, though, I doubt there's much we will change for this game. One significant difference is that instead of the bubble screen RPO, Sark's read is the slot receiver on a 5 yd hitch. Richard Mullaney would have looked like Jerry Rice in his offense. As you said, I doubt we'll see that before next season though.

So Dieter and OJ would have thrived on Monday

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.