How kiffins departure will benefit Alabama in the championship game

Status
Not open for further replies.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Please combine with the Kiffin leaving thread if necessary. I think this is solid, stand alone topic for discussion though. I'd like to see not just "I'm glad he's gone, etc." but logical statements on how, if at all, you think this helps the team.

1. The enemy you thought you knew.
Yup, we're all surprised that this is happening, especially now. And y'know what....that means Clemson is too. You've got a ton of great footage and playcalling and ideas on what Kiffin will do vs your team. Now what do you have? Years old video from a coach on other teams? Saban said himself, the coaches confer this week on plays they'll use, and come gameday, the OC makes the calls on what's used when. As such, the fundamentals will be there, it'll just be a different personality calling plays when he thinks is right.

2. Goodbye distractions
Ok, I'll say it. I loved Kiffin (kinda). I was very excited when he came to bama. I thought this was the odd-couple match made in heaven. When a guys at the bottom, he'll generally fight that much harder to get back to the top. I think we saw that the first two seasons from Kiffin, between his QB development (which no one here can say isn't pretty damn impressive) to him finally opening up the offense the way Saban says he's wanted for a while now.

But then came year three of his time here, which quite frankly surprised many board members who are "in the know." I have no idea what goes on behind the curtain, but I take heed when certain members sway to or fro. As such, I watched the dynamic on the sidelines and in the pressers etc this year, and have to say that it looked like the relationship was deteriorating faster than would have been expected. Add that to what no one can argue is the worst play calling of the year for our team in the Peach bowl. Heck, here's some quotes from major media regarding the peach bowl....

CBS - "Lane Kiffin got too cute for too long"
ESPN - "We may never know why Lane quit running the ball"
- "The offensive play callling left many scratching their heads"
BR - "Defense wins championships, especially when your offensive play calling appears to be based on what will benefit the other team"

I don't know what happened, but if there were ever a moment when it appears that someone said, "it's my time to go" without saying it out loud, Kiffins peach bowl coaching was it. Maybe Lane legitimately can't handle the pressure of the FSU and OC job at the same time. I don't feel there's any shame in that. In any event, hopefully the drama and tension on the sideline have been removed and the team can jive.

3. In Saban we Trust = ISWT (I'd trademark this but the University would sue me)
Saban picked Kiffin. That only led to 3 SEC championships with 3 first year starting Qbs and a shot at a second national title. Despite all the history/baggage of Kiffin. ISWT
Saban picked Sark. A friend, a man he personally made a phone call for regarding the Washington head coach job back in the day, and how, like Kiffin did, fell from grace, and had nothing but baggage and problems. Here's a guy with a fresh opportunity, on the biggest stage he's been on this far in his life. The spotlight will be on him, and lesser men have crumbled. ISWT. Would Saban, with everything being where it is right now, choose to put his team in a worse position or a better position?

After Greg McElroy, Kirk Herbstreith, Paul Finebaum, and 15 other talking heads went back and forth on the breaking news, Lee Corso spoke up with possibly the definitive line that encapsulated my feelings on all this.

Coach Lee Corso - "Hey, is Coach Saban still there? Did he say he's leaving?"
Reece Davis, Desomond Howard, David Pollack, Kirk Herbstreit - "No, why."
Coach Lee Corso - "Ok then. I'm good"

Last edited:

dooger

Suspended
Dec 4, 2016
Please combine with the Kiffin leaving thread if necessary. I think this is solid, stand alone topic for discussion though. I'd like to see not just "I'm glad he's gone, etc." but logical statements on how, if at all, you think this helps the team.

1. The enemy you thought you knew.
Yup, we're all surprised that this is happening, especially now. And y'know what....that means Clemson is too. You've got a ton of great footage and playcalling and ideas on what Kiffin will do vs your team. Now what do you have? Years old video from a coach on other teams? Saban said himself, the coaches confer this week on plays they'll use, and come gameday, the OC makes the calls on what's used when. As such, the fundamentals will be there, it'll just be a different personality calling plays when he thinks is right.

2. Goodbye distractions
Ok, I'll say it. I loved Kiffin (kinda). I was very excited when he came to bama. I thought this was the odd-couple match made in heaven. When a guys at the bottom, he'll generally fight that much harder to get back to the top. I think we saw that the first two seasons from Kiffin, between his QB development (which no one here can say isn't pretty damn impressive) to him finally opening up the offense the way Saban says he's wanted for a while now.

But then came year three of his time here, which quite frankly surprised many board members who are "in the know." I have no idea what goes on behind the curtain, but I take heed when certain members sway to or fro. As such, I watched the dynamic on the sidelines and in the pressers etc this year, and have to say that it looked like the relationship was deteriorating faster than would have been expected. Add that to what no one can argue is the worst play calling of the year for our team in the Peach bowl. Heck, here's some quotes from major media regarding the peach bowl....

CBS - "Lane Kiffin got too cute for too long"
ESPN - "We may never know why Lane quit running the ball"
- "The offensive play callling left many scratching their heads"
BR - "Defense wins championships, especially when your offensive play calling appears to be based on what will benefit the other team"

I don't know what happened, but if there were ever a moment when it appears that someone said, "it's my time to go" without saying it out loud, Kiffins peach bowl coaching was it. Maybe Lane legitimately can't handle the pressure of the FSU and OC job at the same time. I don't feel there's any shame in that. In any event, hopefully the drama and tension on the sideline have been removed and the team can jive.

3. In Saban we Trust = ISWT (I'd trademark this but the University would sue me)
Saban picked Kiffin. That only led to 3 SEC championships with 3 first year starting Qbs and a shot at a second national title. Despite all the history/baggage of Kiffin. ISWT
Saban picked Sark. A friend, a man he personally made a phone call for regarding the Washington head coach job back in the day, and how, like Kiffin did, fell from grace, and had nothing but baggage and problems. Here's a guy with a fresh opportunity, on the biggest stage he's been on this far in his life. The spotlight will be on him, and lesser men have crumbled. ISWT. Would Saban, with everything being where it is right now, choose to put his team in a worse position or a better position?

After Greg McElroy, Kirk Herbstreith, Paul Finebaum, and 15 other talking heads went back and forth on the breaking news, Lee Corso spoke up with possibly the definitive line that encapsulated my feelings on all this.

Coach Lee Corso - "Hey, is Coach Saban still there? Did he say he's leaving?"
Reece Davis, Desomond Howard, David Pollack, Kirk Herbstreit - "No, why."
Coach Lee Corso - "Ok then. I'm good"
Bama will not win or lose because Kiffin is not involved. He was less than engaged over past few weeks. This change gives us a better chance to win.
I also think we should have learned from last years defensive performance against Clem(p)son. Kirby Smart's departure was not handled well and almost got us a loss. He should have been given his walking papers and encouraged to leave for UGA immediately after accepting HC job at UGA. Kirby is not our friend and has screwed UA on several occasions, including Smith transfer.
We are better off with Sark at the OC helm and Kiffin and family in Boca Raton. I am excited and looking forward to game with adults in charge!

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Bama will not win or lose because Kiffin is not involved. He was less than engaged over past few weeks. This change gives us a better chance to win.
I also think we should have learned from last years defensive performance against Clem(p)son. Kirby Smart's departure was not handled well and almost got us a loss. He should have been given his walking papers and encouraged to leave for UGA immediately after accepting HC job at UGA. Kirby is not our friend and has screwed UA on several occasions, including Smith transfer.
We are better off with Sark at the OC helm and Kiffin and family in Boca Raton. I am excited and looking forward to game with adults in charge!
I like what you said and I like how you said it. The only challenge I have is the "bama will not .....lose because Kiffin is not involved." Because a few times this season, it felt very much like Bama was losing specifically because of Kiffin and his play calling.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Would Saban, with everything being where it is right now, choose to put his team in a worse position or a better position?
This is what I've settled on. I don't think CNS took a "risk" on the switch. He believes it helps us or CLK would still be in T-town and planning to call the NC game.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
Well Ed Cunningham just accused Saban of violating the rules with Sark as an analyst. He stated the move from analyst to play caller is too big of a jump, intimating that rules were broken.

He and Mike Patrick deserve to work with each other.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I get the impression that if one of the player's effort and focus was the same as CLK these past few weeks, that player would be benched or sent home. Saban will not tolerate poor effort by anyone and today he shows once again the program is bigger then any one individual. Saban has prepared for the day CLK would be leaving and he was ready for this contingency. Overall, I think we are in better shape today.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
At this point, he's just going to call plays, right? Is there any other responsibility he will have?
I really see that as a positive. He's not bringing in any new plays, implementing a new offense, or changing personnel groupings. He's just taking the playbook - which he should be familiar with - and calling in the plays.
He's experienced as a playcaller, he's familiar with our team, and the gameplan will be a team effort amongst the coaches.
I trying to figure out how this could hurt us. If he was inexperienced, or he had not watched the team play a lot this year, or he was known for having a stubborn approach to offense, I'd be worried. As it is, I expect our offensive gameplan to be fresh, utilizing our playmakers.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Well Ed Cunningham just accused Saban of violating the rules with Sark as an analyst. He stated the move from analyst to play caller is too big of a jump, intimating that rules were broken.

He and Mike Patrick deserve to work with each other.
I guarantee we picked up the phone, called the NCAA, and asked those questions before any decisions were made.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I guarantee we picked up the phone, called the NCAA, and asked those questions before any decisions were made.
He was insinuating that Sark has had direct contact coaching players. A big accusation for someone that doesn't know anything. Maybe he is upset that Washington lost to Bama.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
From reading Kiffin's comments more carefully, it seems that he will be sticking around and helping prepare the game plan for the game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
From reading Kiffin's comments more carefully, it seems that he will be sticking around and helping prepare the game plan for the game.
What???

So he and Sark basically switching seats and he's an analyst to help with this gameplan???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.