Game Thread: Sugar Bowl: Auburn vs. Oklahoma

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
So it turns out Sean broke his arm. Man some depth at the position can't get here fast enough.
We were always 1 play away from being in a similar position since Blake bolted. While Bateman was a much better option for us than what you guys had - there still would have been a big change in the offensive game plan from Hurts to Bateman.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So it turns out Sean broke his arm. Man some depth at the position can't get here fast enough.
Gus better hope Stidham learns the playbook fast. He can't rely on Sean staying healthy for an entire month of football it seems.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
That was a tough break ... no pun intended. I'm thinking you all would have played it closer with a healthy SW. Some of the passes JJ threw were just head scratchers ... it was like he was just fixated on throwing to the first option no matter what the cost.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Interesting numbers following last night's game:

Chizik: 33–19 overall (.635), 15–17 vs SEC, 3-0 in bowl games
Malzahn: 35–18 overall (.660), 18-14 vs SEC, 1-3 in bowl games

Last edited:

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
What's funny is that it came from Nick "Can't talk" Marshall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, I don't know how anybody fell for that fake tweet. If you have ever heard Nick Marshall talk, you'd know there's no way he would even type anything that coherent...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I went to bed when it was 35 to 13. I thought I'd wake up to find that Stoops had put at least 50+ on the scoreboard.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He practiced in the weeks leading up to this game and will be here for the spring. No reason he shouldn't.
Great... He practiced, and as a QB that doesn't mean much. He couldn't take hits. I'm talking about actual games.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So the barners are pinning all their hopes on Stidham, the Baylor transfer.

I honestly know very little about him. Is he the difference in them being 7-6 or 8-5 OR 10-3 or 11-2?

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I find it hard to respect any coach or team who feels like they have to resort to handing the ball off to a player hiding behind the guard in a crouching position. That's pretty much sandlot football tactics when you know you can't man up and beat someone.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Auburn hasn't developed a QB in quite some time. Cam doesn't count as he is superhuman and was already developed. First, Jeremy Johnson, a kid who was a top prospect comes in and crashes after being a Heisman hopeful (in Auburn, anyway), the JF3 is a bust and Sean White is OK. The problem here IMO, is the lack of a coach who can develop these kids. AU just thinks because they are good in HS or JUCO that they can just show up and be the next Cam. Clearly, that isn't going to happen.

I actually feel sorry for Jeremy Johnson and JF3. The whole Barner nation makes fun of them, sends them both nasty tweets, wishes them ill-will and wishes they would be gone. I hate that kids get treated so poorly by their fan base. For a school that is all about FAMBLY, you would think they wouldn't turn on their own so quickly. The look on JF3's face last night when he had to enter the game was something I won't soon forget. He looked terrified. I don't blame him. Unprepared and facing the biggest arm chair critics in the country. Can't be easy or fun.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Auburn hasn't developed a QB in quite some time. Cam doesn't count as he is superhuman and was already developed. First, Jeremy Johnson, a kid who was a top prospect comes in and crashes after being a Heisman hopeful (in Auburn, anyway), the JF3 is a bust and Sean White is OK. The problem here IMO, is the lack of a coach who can develop these kids. AU just thinks because they are good in HS or JUCO that they can just show up and be the next Cam. Clearly, that isn't going to happen.
Let's look at Gus's recruits since he took over:

Nick Marshall was Gus's only real success story. Improved as a passer as his career went on.

Jeremy looked fine for 2 years until he was handed the reins. Even the media was on the JJ train going into 2015. All the physical tools one would ever need, can't read a defense when the heat is on.

JF3 doesn't have the skillset to be a QB.

Queen came in hurt and will likely never contribute.

Sean is a serviceable QB but is unfortunately made of glass.

Woody Barrett too early to tell.

Stidham remains to be seen, but expectations are high.

I think the jury is still out from a development standpoint, but I'll gladly concede that we don't evaluate talent (JF3 over Jerod Evans? Tyler Queen over Lamar Jackson?) or recruit well at the position (missed on Brandon Harris, Deshaun Watson, David Cornwell etc).

I actually feel sorry for Jeremy Johnson and JF3. The whole Barner nation makes fun of them, sends them both nasty tweets, wishes them ill-will and wishes they would be gone. I hate that kids get treated so poorly by their fan base. For a school that is all about FAMBLY, you would think they wouldn't turn on their own so quickly. The look on JF3's face last night when he had to enter the game was something I won't soon forget. He looked terrified. I don't blame him. Unprepared and facing the biggest arm chair critics in the country. Can't be easy or fun.
Glass houses, Belle. The whole barner nation? Nope. We have some idiots in our fan base, just like every other fan base. The majority of us recognize that these are kids that might simply be in over their heads.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.