The top teams in the Big 10 all lost in Bowl games.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
So much for the dominance of the Big 10. The flag bearers all lost. Wisconsin won but I thought they would dominate that team. The Big 10 is now 3 wins to 7 losses. The ACC is better than most people want to give them credit for they are 8-3. I think the media may have been to quick to crown a new king.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
At least my Buckeyes helped you by pumping up the egos of the Clemson players. :biggrin:

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I am sorry but I belong to the University of Alabama and not some alphabet soup conference. I could care less if the sec went 0-11 and Bama won out. I was at the game Saturday and only heard one sec chant, it lasted for 10 seconds.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I still think the committee got the wrong Big 10 team. Penn State lost but they did score 49 points. Ohio State STILL hasn't scored.
After watching the bowl games one could certainly argue that Penn State would have scored at least some points against Clemson if they put up 49 against USC. The flip side of the debate was that PSU beat OSU in sort of a fluke fashion while OSU won the statistical battle. It will be interesting to see whether or not the committee changes the way they evaluate teams for future playoffs.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I still think the committee got the wrong Big 10 team. Penn State lost but they did score 49 points. Ohio State STILL hasn't scored.
I'm not sure scoring 49 points and LOSING is a playoff asset. Fortunately, we will never have to hear about how Penn St got "robbed" and had a great team. Had they made it, they would have played Alabama...who scored as many points on USC as PSU gave up to USC.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm not sure scoring 49 points and LOSING is a playoff asset. Fortunately, we will never have to hear about how Penn St got "robbed" and had a great team. Had they made it, they would have played Alabama...who scored as many points on USC as PSU gave up to USC.
Had Wisconsin won I would've been all for switching them and tOSU, but I think how PSU lost their games was too much.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
3-7 as a Conference this year...yeah I'll say that's overrated!!
Their top 5 teams were 0-4 against P5 teams and 1-0 vs the MAC. The SEC's top 5 were 4-1 vs the P5. The bottom rung, some of whom did not belong in a bowl, were 2-5. If Bama beats Clemson, the record for the top 5 teams would be 5-1, ACC 3-3, Big10 1-4, PAC12 2-3, Big12 3-2. The SEC has done a nice job in the more important games.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
We came close to scoring 45 and losing to Clemson last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, here's the catch...I don't think you can automatically go off the bowl games because there are too many factors in the exhibitions. I've said that for years. But on the flip side - given a lot of the Big Ten yap I heard two years ago when the SEC really took it on the chin in the bowl games (the West got smoked after looking like the best division all year long)....well, they either count or they don't.

What happened was an exposure here. I really, honestly thought Ohio State was a good all-around team....a little young, but it's hard to bet against Urban Meyer, too. And btw - we don't get to view these things anachronistically. You don't get to say AFTER Ohio State was blown out by Clemson, "well, they shouldn't have been there."

Seriously....who SHOULD have been there based on the regular season other than the Buckeyes?

If you argue Penn State then you have to have some decent explanation why I'm supposed to overlook their 39-point loss to Michigan AND their loss to Pitt merely "because they beat Ohio State head to head." (Do any of you seriously believe that 2006 Auburn or 2008 Ole Miss should have played in the national title game?)

So the Buckeyes still should have been there.

By the same token, however, it is now clear that the conference as a whole was overrated. This goes back to that circular argument. They had 'four really good teams' we were told. Two of them went 0-2 against the ACC, one beat a team that was only in the Cotton Bowl because of an impressive record against a mediocre schedule, and the other blew a two touchdown lead in the Rose Bowl. (Btw - is Penn State going to blame their loss like so many Big Ten fans want to impugn other conferences......on the weather? It was 52 degrees at kickoff, probably a heat wave for some Midwesterners.

So I don't mind saying the conference was unquestionably overrated this year. The SEC IS down from their glory years several years back BUT.....none of the other conferences have really stepped forward, either.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
While I don't place a whole lot of stock in rating conference strength based on bowl game records (remember the many, many posts on this forum that have said that bowl games just don't matter anymore?), I think that the 3-7 record makes it clear that we were not as good as we thought we were.

Still, the only B1G team that I care about got steam-rolled. We have a lot of work to do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.