Bengals QB AJ McCarron ready for offseason trade

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Ian Rapport reported today AJ might become the main target for the Browns. Link

Rapoport added that if the price becomes too high, Cleveland could explore other options, most notably Cincinnati's AJ McCarron, who showed promise under Hue Jackson's tutelage when the Browns head coach was the offensive coordinator along the Ohio River. The sticker number for McCarron would undoubtedly be less, and Jackson will know what he's getting. Rapoport said he wouldn't be surprised to see the Browns look at McCarron instead. Considering everything covered above, that might make the most sense for Cleveland, even after needing time to wash off the grime of an in-division trade.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If Cleveland is smart they won't deal with the Patriots and just go after McCarron. As shrewd as the Patriots are on the field they may be even more off the field. I would imagine the Browns would have to come off a lot for the Pats to trade Garoppolo. You can bet any deal with the Pats involved, for it to go through, the Pats will have to come out the clear cut winners.

Last edited:

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Been having this argument on another site but anybody dumb enough to talk trade with NE about the backup QB deserves to be fleeced. A team with a 40 year old QB who is willing to trade JimmyG is a big red flag to me.

Just trade A_J. because he would be cheaper to acquire and give you similiar production.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
NE back up Qbs hasn't had much success and if I was NE I would hold on their QB.... AJ makes sense for Browns because of Hue. I hope it happens.
I think anyone really wanting AJ to succeed should hope the Browns get Jimmy G. Being the Browns qb is a career death sentence.

As far as NE backups you have to look at them. Aside from Cassel, none of them have been given real opportunities. Hoyer went 3 years behind TB then 2 years behind set in stone starters before fizzling out with the Browns. Mallet was with the Texans for 2 years always looking behind his back. Garapolo had more time being prepared as a starter than both hoyer and mallet with the pats

The Texans make more sense because our QB situation sux and we have weapons and a great D. He should be accustomed that. ;)
You got to the divisional round with osweiller. Texans back office is happy and ain't going to change as long as they are better than the colts. So it's unlikely.

AJ's best options are NE, Pit, and NO in that order. All have qbs with less than 4 years left before retirement, and all 3 are very unlikely to take a 1st round qb.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think anyone really wanting AJ to succeed should hope the Browns get Jimmy G. Being the Browns qb is a career death sentence.

As far as NE backups you have to look at them. Aside from Cassel, none of them have been given real opportunities. Hoyer went 3 years behind TB then 2 years behind set in stone starters before fizzling out with the Browns. Mallet was with the Texans for 2 years always looking behind his back. Garapolo had more time being prepared as a starter than both hoyer and mallet with the pats

You got to the divisional round with osweiller. Texans back office is happy and ain't going to change as long as they are better than the colts. So it's unlikely.

AJ's best options are NE, Pit, and NO in that order. All have qbs with less than 4 years left before retirement, and all 3 are very unlikely to take a 1st round qb.
I think with how the NFL works, someone like AJ better be very, very careful turning down opportunities to be a starter. Regardless of the team. Granted, I'm not saying take it no matter what. But waiting on a bird in the bush when you've got a bird in hand can leave you empty handed if you don't watch it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think with how the NFL works, someone like AJ better be very, very careful turning down opportunities to be a starter. Regardless of the team. Granted, I'm not saying take it no matter what. But waiting on a bird in the bush when you've got a bird in hand can leave you empty handed if you don't watch it.
That's why I stated "successful " career. The problem with the Browns is that they don't have patience like the other 3 teams in their division do. It'***** the reset button every 2 years. They are kinda like the Royals equivalent for the NFL in that they can find successful players but the $$$ always is the 1st 2nd and 3rd priority for the team. So I think AJ should avoid the Browns like the plague unless 2-3 years as on to the SECN is his plan. Which isn't a bad thing, but I think he could have a better gig.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Been having this argument on another site but anybody dumb enough to talk trade with NE about the backup QB deserves to be fleeced. A team with a 40 year old QB who is willing to trade JimmyG is a big red flag to me.

Just trade A_J. because he would be cheaper to acquire and give you similiar production.
Brady will be gone probably in 2018 with BB. So it's a hit the reset button no matter what. Jimmy G is probably not the best qb for their system and they are just sending out feelers to get another draft pick in the first 2 rounds.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Brady will be gone probably in 2018 with BB.
I'm not a Pro guy but have heard the passing game for the patriots is complicated with different receiver routs that change with coverage. Now that may be common but I still seem to remember New England's was harder to learn than most.

That could be good for AJ.

I think we'd all trade our jobs to be a career backup QB in the NFL, but players want to play. It's one of the competitive characteristics that make them excel. I hope it works out for AJ. I think he's our best bet at producing a very good NFL QB. If he could come on strong it'd help with recruiting.
I think Dan Mullen has a very good eye for QB talent that fits his system, and is in a position that allows him to develop a QB over time. If he does well with the one he's got now you'd have to think he can spot a QB as well as any College Coach, especially as he can't go head to head with very many top schools for recruits.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

They are not happy with Osweiller. He has this year to figure it out and if not, they'll cut him, the coach and gm as they should.

AJ would compete and beat out Brock from day 1.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm not a Pro guy but have heard the passing game for the patriots is complicated with different receiver routs that change with coverage. Now that may be common but I still seem to remember New England's was harder to learn than most.

That could be good for AJ.

I think we'd all trade our jobs to be a career backup QB in the NFL, but players want to play. It's one of the competitive characteristics that make them excel. I hope it works out for AJ. I think he's our best bet at producing a very good NFL QB. If he could come on strong it'd help with recruiting.
I think Dan Mullen has a very good eye for QB talent that fits his system, and is in a position that allows him to develop a QB over time. If he does well with the one he's got now you'd have to think he can spot a QB as well as any College Coach, especially as he can't go head to head with very many top schools for recruits.
The Patriots are comparable to the Spurs in that their game plan revolves around playing the game like it was meant to be instead of how most teams play it. What I'm talking about is that each receiver runs routes like they are drawn up instead of trying to out talent people. That's a huge reason that Brady's career has been filled with no name receivers. The exception is Moss, but moss bought into the strategy. It also helps that Brady is super patient and can read defenses at an incredible rate. To beat Brady a team needs to beat his line. AJ would fit best in this kinda system imo

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
With this being the case, I don't see AJ being traded.

Clearing up McCarron's contract status

For the bulk of the last year, there was a public assumption that Cincinnati Bengals backup quarterback AJ McCarron would be an unrestricted free agent following the 2017 season.

But that is not the case.

Currently, McCarron is set to become a restricted free agent in 2018 because he did not accrue enough active games to count toward free agency.

After being drafted out of the University of Alabama in the fifth round of the 2014 draft, McCarron was placed on the non-football injury (NFI) list in late July due to shoulder issue. He remained on that list once the 53-man roster was finalized in late August, and would have been eligible to come off that list after the sixth week of the season.

The Bengals filed for and received an extension of that NFI designation, and McCarron was eventually added to the active roster on Dec. 9.

He did not play over the final three games of the 2014 campaign.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.