Bengals QB AJ McCarron ready for offseason trade

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I wouldn't buy anything what he says... I expect AJ to be traded before season starts.
It increases his trade value since the team would control him for 2 years before he becomes an unrestricted FA. Doesn't mean that they want to trade him, but it does increase what they might get for him since a team would have 2 years to see how he works out before paying him big $$$.

tideindc

2nd Team
Jan 2, 2015
I would love to see AJ traded. But what is in it for the Bengals? I doubt he is viewed as a "sure thing" around the league. I, like most here think he could be a quality NFL starter. But, he's a 5th rd pick with a few solid starts under his belt after three yrs. How much could the Bengals realistically expect to get in a trade...maybe a third rd pick at best? If I were the Bengals, I'd rather to keep him as insurance for Dalton at least in 2017, rather than getting a third or fourth rounder. Hey..hope I'm wrong.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It increases his trade value since the team would control him for 2 years before he becomes an unrestricted FA. Doesn't mean that they want to trade him, but it does increase what they might get for him since a team would have 2 years to see how he works out before paying him big $$$.
Pretty sure him being a restricted FA makes it less likely he gets traded because the Bengals get to keep him until he becomes a FA and still get something (most likely better than what a trade would give them) in return.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing him go to the 49ers, and have Shanahan work with him while he is putting the on-field team back together. It would mean some lean years, but Shanahan would get a guy that has at least played a little bit.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The thing is AJ is 26 years old. Andy is 29 years old. He will be restricted Free Agent in 2018. He will be 27 next year. You have to take age into factors and see what he can do. I feel like Bengals need to go ahead and trade him now, instead of trying and hold on to him for another year. I acknowledge that he could be back for the 2017-2018 season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Pretty sure him being a restricted FA makes it less likely he gets traded because the Bengals get to keep him until he becomes a FA and still get something (most likely better than what a trade would give them) in return.
You are right, but the Bengals have a guy at QB who is both young and capable. Having a very valuable asset (trade bait) sitting on their bench hurts the team, it doesn't help it. You don't keep AJ unless you are considering playing him, and they are not.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
You are right, but the Bengals have a guy at QB who is both young and capable. Having a very valuable asset (trade bait) sitting on their bench hurts the team, it doesn't help it. You don't keep AJ unless you are considering playing him, and they are not.
I think the Bengals can use AJ for two purposes. Of course, trade bait. But if no team ever is willing to fork up the "goods" to get the Bengals to trade AJ then they still have a really good and solid backup. I think they are more than comfortable keeping him as a backup behind Dalton for as long as it takes. I think it is akin to the Patriots and Jimmy G. They are willing to trade him, but it's going to cost "you". They aren't going to give him away.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think the Bengals can use AJ for two purposes. Of course, trade bait. But if no team ever is willing to fork up the "goods" to get the Bengals to trade AJ then they still have a really good and solid backup. I think they are more than comfortable keeping him as a backup behind Dalton for as long as it takes. I think it is akin to the Patriots and Jimmy G. They are willing to trade him, but it's going to cost "you". They aren't going to give him away.
The biggest difference is the age of Brady. NFL teams don't keep young QBs like AJ unless they are considering a move at QB, or they have an aging QB. I could be totally wrong, and the Bengals ownership isn't the brightest group in the league, but if they keep AJ they will not be following a healthy NFL roster model.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The biggest difference is the age of Brady. NFL teams don't keep young QBs like AJ unless they are considering a move at QB, or they have an aging QB. I could be totally wrong, and the Bengals ownership isn't the brightest group in the league, but if they keep AJ they will not be following a healthy NFL roster model.
I hope AJ gets a shot somewhere before he turns 30.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm intrigued by this. Let's look at the pro's and con's of keeping him and then letting him be a restricted FA:

Pro's:
  • AJ's not costing them a chunk of change right now and they probably wouldn't get much back for him because of his limited action.
  • Has some experience to start multiple games in case Dalton goes down or starts really sucking to the point of being benched.
  • By being a restricted free agent, Bengals could get more for him than in a trade depending on what tender they put on him.

Con's:
  • He rides the bench and takes up a roster spot that could be used for a more likely contributor (but he's QB2, so his spot would presumably go to another QB).

Can you think of another con?

It sounds silly to keep him, but him being a restricted free agent makes it seem more likely.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm intrigued by this. Let's look at the pro's and con's of keeping him and then letting him be a restricted FA:

Pro's:
  • AJ's not costing them a chunk of change right now and they probably wouldn't get much back for him because of his limited action.
  • Has some experience to start multiple games in case Dalton goes down or starts really sucking to the point of being benched.
  • By being a restricted free agent, Bengals could get more for him than in a trade depending on what tender they put on him.

Con's:
  • He rides the bench and takes up a roster spot that could be used for a more likely contributor (but he's QB2, so his spot would presumably go to another QB).

Can you think of another con?

It sounds silly to keep him, but him being a restricted free agent makes it seem more likely.
It's not that he is taking up a roster spot - it is that he is a great player sitting on the bench when you could leverage him to get another great player that you could actually put on the field. Career back-up QBs do not have AJ's ability. Now, if you think that I am overestimating AJ's ability, that may be the disconnect.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
It's not that he is taking up a roster spot - it is that he is a great player sitting on the bench when you could leverage him to get another great player that you could actually put on the field. Career back-up QBs do not have AJ's ability. Now, if you think that I am overestimating AJ's ability, that may be the disconnect.
AJ's performance (albeit in limited action) has suggested that he has what it takes to be an NFL starter. A team with a gaping hole on the defense and also needs a quality QB might use their first round pick on defense, then try to trade some lower picks for AJ.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We learn what the Bengals want for AJ....

Patriots will still trade Jimmy Garoppolo if the offer is right, source says

If the Browns can't land Garoppolo, they'll see if Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor becomes a free agent on March 11. If those two options fall through, they'll likely make an offer for Bengals backup AJ McCarron, who wants to be traded and would love to be reunited with Hue Jackson, who coached him in Cincinnati.

The Bengals would likely want at least a second-round pick, one source said, and wouldn't rule out trading within the division.

"We'll listen to whatever anyone is thinking,'' said Bengals director of personnel Duke Tobin. "We're not actively looking to diminish our football team by trading AJ McCarron and that diminishes our football team. It has to be something we feel is valuable enough to warrant doing that. What it is, I don't know. Who it is to, I don't know.

"It's not ideal to trade guys within your division, particularly at that position. But we listen and if something comes up we'll certainly announce it to all you guys.''

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
IMO both the Pats and Bills would be bonkers to trade the QB's listed. I'd actually find it more likely that Garoppolo leaves before Tyrod leaves. I can't fathom why the Bills would get rid of Tyrod - I read an article recently detailing why, from a statistical point of view it would be lunacy to cut him adrift. Even though he's not a world beater like Aaron Rodgers, Manning or Brady he is absolutely a solid 2nd tier QB who brings a dimension of versatility with his feet. That combo of McCoy and Taylor is pretty sweet. If the defense gets into shape they are absolutely a playoff team. I feel like Brady may have 2-3 seasons still in him which means the Pats would have the possibility of finding another QB with enough time for him to acclimate to their system. Don't know how they feel about Jacoby Brisset.
The Browns have gone quite a while with unknown quantities at QB - at least from a HC perspective. Hue Jackson knows McCarron inside and out. If he decided to make a move for him that's a huge vote of confidence. At this point though Jackson may just want someone who is a known quantity to him and who he knows can run his offense as designed. I would hate to see McCarron in a Brown's uniform since many people do not escape that place unscathed, but it would be cool to see him starting somewhere.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.