Bengals QB AJ McCarron ready for offseason trade

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
No. No QBs in NFL wants to back up and retire that way. All wants to be that guy who wins his team games. AJ McCarron does not want to back up for long time. he wants to play.
Oh I know they don't want to - I'm saying I WANT TO. lol. That's precisely why I'm not an NFL QB - that and the fact that I'm 5'10.
I thought we were talking about our personal preferences.
NFL QB's are hyper competitive so not many will enjoy riding pine.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Yep, but I would rather make $5M+ and compete even if I was taking a physical beating. Don't think you can retire after several years on $690K but you can on $5M/year.

1. ) Wait until you are 65 or so, and then say you won't mind taking a physical beating. At that age, you will think twice.

2.) A few years at $700k? Yeah, I could find a way. Unless you live somewhere that takes >50% of it.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
1. ) Wait until you are 65 or so, and then say you won't mind taking a physical beating. At that age, you will think twice.

2.) A few years at $700k? Yeah, I could find a way. Unless you live somewhere that takes >50% of it.
I'm 55 and would be dead or in traction if I took one hit right now but at 25 or less I could go all day and night.

At that salary the govt takes a good bit of those earnings. Add in the 7-10% to your agent you are not real rich with a rookie/back-up contract in most cases.

I don't think working in the league 5 or 6 years on a rookie/back-ups pay are you going to be able to retire on that income with that persons acquired lifestyle. When I say retire it is to do nothing at age 30 with income earnings except for investments.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I'm 55 and would be dead or in traction if I took one hit right now but at 25 or less I could go all day and night.
Get back to us, in about 10 years, and tell us how different you feel. At that point, you'll understand.

I don't think working in the league 5 or 6 years on a rookie/back-ups pay are you going to be able to retire on that income with that persons acquired lifestyle. When I say retire it is to do nothing at age 30 with income earnings except for investments.
There is the rub: acquired lifestyle.

It is possible. I retired (health problems) at close to that age, and I basically do nothing. Of course, that is mainly because I can't, but, as usual, I digress.

Point is that it is possible. Especially for guys with degrees in Finance.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
OK, maybe I should clarify this remark.

Yes, when you are 22, you don't mind all the bumps and bruises that you take.

The problem is they come back to haunt you, 40 years down the road. The problem is no one realizes this, when we are 22. When you are 65, you can not go back in time, and undo that injury. At that point, you would give most anything to stop the recurring pain. When you have trouble getting up out of bed, in the morning, you think twice about why you did all the crazy stuff, of your youth.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
There is life after football. Ten years in the NFL would have you at approx 32-33 when you hang it up. I don't know why anyone would expect a player could retire from working at that age. AJ will have plenty of opportunities open up to him when he decides to hang up his cleats. Four years at Alabama and ten in the NFL leaves him with an extremely attractive resume. Plenty of people will be falling all over themselves trying to hire him.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
It has been said the browns may not plan to keep him. He is probably trade bait or maybe even released.
I think the Browns want more picks, but I do not think anyone will take that trade bait. They are going to be stuck with him and he will be added to the very long list of Browns failed QB. Again as I said the Browns want picks, they would have to give up one to get AJ. They currently have 8 picks in the first 2 rounds over the next 2 years.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think the Browns want more picks, but I do not think anyone will take that trade bait. They are going to be stuck with him and he will be added to the very long list of Browns failed QB. Again as I said the Browns want picks, they would have to give up one to get AJ. They currently have 8 picks in the first 2 rounds over the next 2 years.
Saw some reports yesterday indicating they were trying to trade Osweiler for a 3rd rounder. Look at the number of picks they currently hold for the next two years.

The most logical reason to want another third round pick to go with what they already have would be trade material for Jimmy G in New England.

There was a report early yesterday suggesting the Jets might trade for AJ. I hope that's not true. Not sold on him in that market.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Got a feeling they will somehow manage to off-load him, in some obtuse way, and get a pick in return. (Not saying it will be a good pick. Or the sucker will end up paying or keeping him. This could turn into a real-life soap opera.) The funny thing is they will amass all those draft picks, yet won't be able to develop them. "Cleveland gonna Cleveland."

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Gary Kubiak had the best job in the NFL for 9 years. He came in the league the same year as Elway and spent his entire career holding a clipboard and watching him from the sideline.[/QUO

Years ago Cliff Stoudt sat on the bench behind Terry Bradshaw for nearly 16 years. Cliff was still low mileage when he played for the Birmingham Stallions. Cliff was a good QB. Terry was a great QB who was tough as shoe leather.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.