Bengals QB AJ McCarron ready for offseason trade

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He should've been pushing for it earlier.

The problem is the Bengals have no intentions of handing him the reigns over Dalton. I think he will still be a backup next year unless a team doesn't have a franchise tag qb, a mid round pick or worse, and is in extreme need of a qb with some experience. I see his best option is to ride out his contract and become a merc qb. I think other than dalton getting hurt early in the year his chances at Cincinnati are slim, but it's still possible.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
That story has him going to Cleveland, which aside from the Browns being the Browns, is a great fit for him. Cleveland doesn't need to be in the Romo sweepstakes; it's possible they could go after Garoppolo given his age and that would work just as well as McCarron.

Given the choice, I think Jackson would prefer McCarron. The question really becomes how likely is it to get the two Ohio teams to work together on a deal that might create an in-division competitor for the Bengals.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
AJ is a proven winner & will win if given the opportunity to do so..The Bengals needs to elevate AJ to starter & trade Dalton..

Dalton will never be the QB they're betting all their money on as their "Franchise QB"..

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That story has him going to Cleveland, which aside from the Browns being the Browns, is a great fit for him. Cleveland doesn't need to be in the Romo sweepstakes; it's possible they could go after Garoppolo given his age and that would work just as well as McCarron.

Given the choice, I think Jackson would prefer McCarron. The question really becomes how likely is it to get the two Ohio teams to work together on a deal that might create an in-division competitor for the Bengals.
It's fun everytime the Browns get a new coach with the #1 draft pick at his disposal. The optimism is always ridiculously high every time, but you know what Einstein's definition of insanity is... doing the same thing over expecting a different result. I think this article is more wishful thinking, and the reality is the Browns will do what they always do and pick another qb. AJ is probably the next Matt Flynn unless someone gets hurt and their team is in a serious bind.

AJ is a proven winner & will win if given the opportunity to do so..The Bengals needs to elevate AJ to starter & trade Dalton..

Dalton will never be the QB they're betting all their money on as their "Franchise QB"..
The problem is AJ didn't force them to make that decision. By that I mean make it impossible for a $$$ crunching back office marketing executive to overrule the coaching staff on who should be the face of the team. Probably a playoff win would've done it for AJ

There are two narratives to the Bengals playoff win drought and one truth.

The first narrative is that Andy Dalton is the cause of it, and the second is Marvin Lewis is. The truth is that it is 40% both ways and 20% is the fact that the Bengals are the 3rd best team in the division behind the Steelers and Ravens. AJ needed to prove the first narrative true,but he perhaps made the second 1 more true because in the playoff game he played his worst until Ben Roethlisbeger was injured, and Marvin started calling for downfield passes on the 26th ranked pass defense in the league. It really felt Marvin Lewis lost that game. Had AJ won that game he would be the starter, but he didn't do the Bengals will stick with Dalton for better or worse.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
AJ has played this perfectly. He can get a really good "second" contract without even having been really tested as an NFL starter. This next contract will provide he and his family with financial security for the rest of their lives.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Being a career second string NFL QB isn't a bad gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Since Hue Jackson was his OC in Cincinnati for his first two years, that would be a pretty good deal. AJ already knows the system. Heck, he threw as many TDs in 7 games last year as the Browns' leading QB did this year.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
He should've been pushing for it earlier.

The problem is the Bengals have no intentions of handing him the reigns over Dalton. I think he will still be a backup next year unless a team doesn't have a franchise tag qb, a mid round pick or worse, and is in extreme need of a qb with some experience. I see his best option is to ride out his contract and become a merc qb. I think other than dalton getting hurt early in the year his chances at Cincinnati are slim, but it's still possible.
The Texans could use him. I think they need to cut the cord with Osweiler.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
AJ has played this perfectly. He can get a really good "second" contract without even having been really tested as an NFL starter. This next contract will provide he and his family with financial security for the rest of their lives.
And if not he can always rely on Katherine's talents. He's a winner there already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think it's about time, and Bengals needs to make a trade now. The thing is, They should've done it last year while they had an opportunity and I think AJ would've been in Denver.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The Texans could use him. I think they need to cut the cord with Osweiler.
Texans are in the playoffs and will probably win their first game against the Raiders. Playoff and Divisional championships usually=the qb and HC are still going to be there next year. So I doubt Houston is realistic unless Osweiller gets severely injured.

I think his 2 best ways to get a starting job are either:

A) go to the Browns and put his name on this loyal fan's jersey along aside the numerous "prestigious" Browns qbs since 1999

2) he could be the next Fitzpatrick, matt Flynn, or Vinny Testaverde and be the gun for hire type.

I think out of the two most likely scenarios it really depends on what he really wants to do in which one is the best. If he just wants to start for an NFL team then the Browns route is probably the best, but its almost a for sure death sentence. If he wants to play for a long time then #2 is probably the best. The biggest downside is that hardly any guns for hire stay too long at those teams, and the teams that venture that route usually have franchised starters. There is still that off chance that someone randomly gives him a chance, but the two scenarios I listed are probably the most likely.

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

If I were Romo and valued my health I would stay far, far away from Cleveland.

Titans&Tide

1st Team
Jul 22, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL USA
www.kornegay.us
I think there may be several possibilities. The Bills, Vikings, Bears, 49ers, Redskins, Jets, and Eagles may all be shopping, in addition to the Browns. I've even heard rumblings that the Saints may be ready to start looking beyond Brees. Not sure if they'll go at it via the draft or trades/free agency.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think there may be several possibilities. The Bills, Vikings, Bears, 49ers, Redskins, Jets, and Eagles may all be shopping, in addition to the Browns. I've even heard rumblings that the Saints may be ready to start looking beyond Brees. Not sure if they'll go at it via the draft or trades/free agency.
49ers would be the 2nd pick in the draft unless their new coach is head over heels about McCarron I don't see them going that route.

Vikings it depends on Bridgewater, but you would've thought if they were that interested then they would've gone for him over Bradford this year

Eagles have too much invested in Wentz

All others are maybes, but not as likely as the Browns at this point imo

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
I read somewhere that that the Jaguars should cut ties with Blake Bortles. I don't follow the NFL like I do college, but if the Jaguars are in need of a QB, maybe AJ could go there. Also, backing up Drew Brees in New Orleans for another year or two and taking over wouldn't be a bad deal either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.