Who is peaking when......

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
Cutting Kiffin loose is either a massive blunder or a genius move.

Given Saban's track record, I'm betting on genius.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Anyone who is questioning Jalen Hurts needs to go into a senior English class in High School and take a look around at the guys in that class. Once you do that, start thinking that some of these guys are older than Hurts. It has been simply amazing what he has been able to do at only 18 yrs. of age. He will be o.k. on Monday because he is a student of the game and has been around the game for so long he will be able to make the adjustments to a new playcaller.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I/m not worried about play calling. It's all about execution and being mistake free re: TO's and penalties. Execute and stay clean and the D will take care of the rest. The team, including Jalen, is more than capable of that.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I heard Bill Oliver say that it is extremely rare for a team to bring their "A" game more than once, or twice a season. The thing about this Bama squad (on offense) is, I don't think they've played their "A" game yet. The Mississippi State game was as close they've come, and the MSU "D", or lack thereof, probably had a lot to do with that.

I happen to believe that this Bama offense is overrated. The reasons are: (a) The Bama defense takes other teams out of their game plan, on both sides of the ball, (b) like it, or not, the SEC is not a premier league this season, and (c) the offensive line has really struggled against the two best DLs they've played (LSU and Washington). I thought the coaching staff took a big gamble by naming Hurts as the starting QB. Blake Barnett had a bigger upside (IMO), and is a much more polished passer. Although Jalen Hurts has had a fantastic season, he is still only seeing half the field on passing plays. The better defenses have been able to exploit that weakness, and Bama has struggled to move the chains. Also if he is injured, there really is no Plan "B".

For those reasons, I'm pretty pessimistic about Monday. To beat this Clemson team, the defense will have to play lights-out (again), and the offense will have to surprise everyone, and bring their "A" game.
SEC is not a premier league this season, yet it has five teams ranked in the top 25 (ACC 4, B1G 5, PAC 12 5, Big 12 3), it has the second most bowl wins of any conference this season, six teams ranked in the top 50 offenses and five in the top 50 defenses. Go figure.

Bama averaged 4.2 yds/rush against LSU and 5.4 yds per rush against UW. If that's struggling, I'll take it every day.

At 14-0 and Hurts being named Offensive MVP of the league, I'd say the gamble paid off. The "better defenses" (LSU, FL and UW are the three best we've faced) have exploited Hurts' weaknesses to the tune of holding us to 22 pts per game (17 below our average). Only problem is those three teams scored a total of 13 points.

We beat the #4 team in the country by 17 while having most assuredly one of our worst called offensive games in a long, long time. Even call it struggling on offense if you want (although when you have a RB go for 180, it's hard to consider your offense struggling).

By contrast, we've seen what happens when Clemson struggles on offense . . . Auburn, Troy, NC State, Pitt . . . I'd be more concerned that Clemson doesn't struggle on offense. If they do . . .

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I have a major problem with people saying this because Blake Barnett's first two series were better than Jalen's. The difference is Blake only had 2 to settle down while Jalen had as many as he needed. First of all, the play calling did nothing to show what a qb could do for either of the two's first 2 drives. But here's the stats compared to each other. Blake's first drive- one dropped pass behind the LOS that was catchable. 1 slow-developing running play up the middle for 1 yard. 1 sack in which two USC defenders got into the back field untouched. Punt. Jalen's first drive- First play:Jalen runs for a loss of two yards and fumbles. Blake's second drive- one complete pass for no gain, one running play for 2 yards, 1 short completion, Punt. Jalen's second drive- complete pass for loss of 1 yard, running play for 2 yards, Jalen runs for no gain, Punt. Jalen's 3rd drive- Jalen moves ball a little, almost throws interception. Has 2nd and 3rd down incompletions to end drive. Punt. Jalen's 4th drive- Jalen scores on a 39-yard TD pass. Finally.

Compare just the first 2 drives and I don't see how anyone can say Jalen looked better. From what I saw, Blake didn't have a single passing play past the line of scrimmage that could show off his arm. He also had 0 blocking on some plays. 0. And as for Blake looking like it was his first time ever on a football field, how do you explain Jalen fumbling his first-ever snap as a QB at Alabama?

I understand it takes time to settle into the game, especially when it's the first game of the year and against a historical powerhouse like USC. And Jalen DID eventually settle down. But he had 4 drives to do it where Blake got 2 and then never saw the field in the first half again. I feel we didn't see enough of Blake to make any judgements on his abilities. But we did see enough to see that he could at least protect the ball when he got hit, and Jalen couldn't.

I like Jalen. I think he's a lot like Tebow. He has leadership abilities and knows how to make something happen at the right time. Kiffin did nothing to develop him as a passer, so I'm hoping Sark will. I do believe he is the kind of guy who is smart enough and determined enough to improve over the years. But he also, like Tebow, is currently a TERRIBLE passer. Blake never got a chance to show off his arm.

While Jalen is good, he wasn't really any better than Blake and people are making him out to be one of the best. He's fumbled the ball SEVERAL times in games where thankfully an offensive player fell on it. He has under thrown receiver after receiver and no one seems to care. I don't understand why so many of his weaknesses are being overlooked in such an obvious way while people are acting like it was Blake who fumbled his first snap. He looked nervous. But he made accurate passes that were droppedand held on to the ball when sacked. Jalen made half-decent throws and fumbled his first snap. It wasn't ok for Blake to look nervous. It was ok for Jalen. Can someone explain to me why?
All you have to do is look at Blake and Jalen before the play. Blake was constantly looking around and it was obvious that he couldn't handle the moment. As soon as he was walking toward the LOS, I said "Oh no, he's not ready." A blind man could see it.

Jalen had one of the most disastrous results imaginable on his first snap but it didn't faze him one bit.

Blake clearly has a better arm but Jalen has intangibles through the roof and leads Blake in pretty much all other categories.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
People are results oriented. No matter what happens in the game, I don't think Sark is gonna flat out "cost us" nor "straight up save us." The last few ball games from Kiffin were increasingly erratic, disjointed, and not mindful of what is going on in the plan or on the field in-game. He got himself fired, he deserved it, this team is too close and bought in for Saban to tolerate a coach near the top undermining the team's confidence. Of course, this move was facilitated by already having Sark on campus 75% of the season...maybe Saban would've just had a Come to Jesus if Kiffin wasn't already halfway out the door.

Kiffin got fired due to ineffectiveness. If we lose it will be because Kiffin didn't progress Hurts enough in the off-period not because we canned him to prevent another SECCG/Peach Bowl playcalling fiasco.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I admit I often wonder about the statement that Jalen was selected as the starter "because he won the team over". I remember Blake doing all he could to bring in recruits, enrolling early, putting in the off season work, and trying to be a leader. I trust the coaches, but I hope this wasn't the case of a close race being turned into a popularity contest.
Cornwell did a better job of that than Barnett ever did.....and you see how many snaps he has taken.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
People are results oriented. No matter what happens in the game, I don't think Sark is gonna flat out "cost us" nor "straight up save us." The last few ball games from Kiffin were increasingly erratic, disjointed, and not mindful of what is going on in the plan or on the field in-game. He got himself fired, he deserved it, this team is too close and bought in for Saban to tolerate a coach near the top undermining the team's confidence. Of course, this move was facilitated by already having Sark on campus 75% of the season...maybe Saban would've just had a Come to Jesus if Kiffin wasn't already halfway out the door.

Kiffin got fired due to ineffectiveness. If we lose it will be because Kiffin didn't progress Hurts enough in the off-period not because we canned him to prevent another SECCG/Peach Bowl playcalling fiasco.
when people understand this, they will understand that Sark was a better option regardless of the outcome. Saturday was terrible.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I am hopeful Hurts can make huge strides in his vision and mechanics with Sark as his new mentor. He is reportedly a far better QB coach than Kiffin. Not to mention - going into the off-season with the confidence of returning as the starter my guess is he will spend a lot of quality time with Ridley, Stewart, et al working on timing.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Jalen Hurts was the SEC Offensive Player of the Year. He had 34 total TDs as a true freshman. He didn't win the job because of a popularity contest. The players thought he was the best guy. The coaches quickly agreed. Then all the other coaches of the conference voted him the best offensive player in the conference for his work.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Cutting Kiffin loose is either a massive blunder or a genius move.

Given Saban's track record, I'm betting on genius.
I don't have any inside information, but just based on what is public, I don't believe it was either a massive blunder or a genius move, but simply what he had to do.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I'm really not sure how this can be a blunder. Our offense is pretty simple. There's not a ton of change that can be made in a week. The team is really mature, and our QB is very level-headed. I'm pretty sure the biggest difference you'll see is timing of play calls, and a couple more screens (which are in the playbook already).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.