Some clips from Sarkisian-run offenses

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If this needs to be moved because of the other threads I apologize , I just think people can get a better understanding of Sark's offense by these.

I think these show what type of tendencies that Sark favors over what Kiffin does. I think both can play with each other's offense, and could transition smoothly between each other's offenses. But I think Lane is based around opening up for the home run ball, while sark is more about the methodical approach. Basically Lane is a "give me the whole cake now" guy, and Sark is a "I want the whole cake,but Ill take it a chunk at a time" type guy.

2008 USC vs Washington "final drive" (Its funny who his OC is)

2011 holiday bowl against Nebraska

2014 USC vs Stanford

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Well the chunk at a time certainly fits Saban better IMO. It gives the defense a while to stay on the sidelines and keeps the other team's explosive players off the field.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I highly doubt most of the plays would be in the game plan against clemson.. maybe next year.. but I dont know... I can see him pulling a little from those games.. but I think he'll draw up new wrinkles.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I highly doubt most of the plays would be in the game plan against clemson.. maybe next year.. but I dont know... I can see him pulling a little from those games.. but I think he'll draw up new wrinkles.
Maybe we'll get a less complex version of this Monday, but I think his style is very similar to Kiffin's except he plays 5-15 yards whereas Kiffin plays 15 and above.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I don't think it's as much about Sark installing new schemes as it is about running the ball more and not trying the big chunk plays downfield so much. New wrinkles/plays will come next year most certainly but what I hope we get from Sark next Monday is maybe a little bit of a simplification of the playbook and allowing JH & Co to play within themselves and not do things they are not capable of (JH in particular) at this point in their development.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
The only complaint I have ever had about kiffen is that sometimes he gets way to cute. I think it was in the lsu game this first year that an announcer said "sometimes he goes for the three point shot instead of taking the lay up that's there". to many times this year, the Washington game included, he called slow developing pass plays instead of maybe the quick plays. The "rpo" plays were extremely one dimensional. Instead of the outside screens maybe a hitch to the slot, shallow crosses, slants and a few stick routes to o.j. would do more for happens confidence than the little shuttle passes off the jet sweep motion.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Don't know for sure about next Monday night, but I think we'll see our QB under center alot more under SS.

I think this might help JH develop more of his passing game too! Of course, we'll still use the pistol and zone read, but hopefully not be in the pistol all the time.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I've watched those videos, and I can almost guarantee that these plays are in our playbook or are at least variations of plays that we already run.

We have simplified play calling so much that it would not take much for 90% of them to be put in this week. And our guys are smarter than we tend to give them credit for.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I've watched those videos, and I can almost guarantee that these plays are in our playbook or are at least variations of plays that we already run.

We have simplified play calling so much that it would not take much for 90% of them to be put in this week. And our guys are smarter than we tend to give them credit for.
The halfback pass back to Locker -- I could see it....

Ardarius on a sweep, then a pass back to Jalen -- I could see that happening

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
So we better not let him run the zone read keeper or scramble at all from the pocket?

They'd only throw it to him on that play unless he's wide open.
I just don't like the idea of Hurts down the field where he's going full speed looking up in the air for the ball and then all of suddenly, a CB or Safety nail him to the ground. Huge difference from zone read or scramble because he can see what's going on.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I just don't like the idea of Hurts down the field where he's going full speed looking up in the air for the ball and then all of suddenly, a CB or Safety nail him to the ground. Huge difference from zone read or scramble because he can see what's going on.
I understand that, but you just tell the AS to not throw it unless he's wide open. Simple.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
We'll have a few new wrinkles with Sark's hand-prints all over it come game time. I'm talking about a small handful of completely new plays that nobody has seen before. I think they'll be some kind of screens. Perhaps a misdirection play or two. Maybe a throw back screen of some kind where Hurts rolls right and throws back across the field left.

By the way - I've been predicting all along that Jacobs will play a vital role for us in this game. Been telling folks hes going to make two explosive plays in this game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think we already had a pretty good skeleton to a gameplan for each possible final opponent before this change happened. There is a reason we hire a ton of analysts: a lot of the gameplanning is off-loaded to the analysts for identifying plays that will work, ones that won't, etc. Especially since by the time we got to the week of the Peach Bowl game it was all install mode for the plan, I have no doubt that Sark and other analysts were already involved in developing this gameplan.

Really the biggest worry is Sark having a feel for the players and calling in the plays to the field in tempo...

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
The only complaint I have ever had about kiffen is that sometimes he gets way to cute. I think it was in the lsu game this first year that an announcer said "sometimes he goes for the three point shot instead of taking the lay up that's there". to many times this year, the Washington game included, he called slow developing pass plays instead of maybe the quick plays. The "rpo" plays were extremely one dimensional. Instead of the outside screens maybe a hitch to the slot, shallow crosses, slants and a few stick routes to o.j. would do more for happens confidence than the little shuttle passes off the jet sweep motion.
I agree with this. If they are giving you a lay-up play for 5 yards then take it. Too many times on Saturday, the run with the RB's was there and Kiffin kept wanting to run Jalen or roll him out. It just didn't make sense. Kiffin also did a poor job of getting our playmakers (namely Ridley & Stewart) the ball.

The plays that we ran this year probably won't change a bit but the timing of when to call a play will. Sark has been sitting watching games and practices all year and has gotten a pretty good perspective on what will work and what won't work. I have full confidence that Sark, the offensive coaches, and Coach Saban will have a good game plan and we will not miss a beat.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.