What do you think about Minkah For returning punts?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As others have said, I don't think it matters for this game. Just need a guy back there who will not make a stupid mistake as the rugby style punt skitters across the field in front of him. No way to guess how the ball will bounce, so if you don't have room in front of you, don't touch it - even at the risk that it will run for another 10 yards. Better to lose more field position there than turn the ball over.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Was it Blackledge that commented a rugby-style punter should be treated like a runner? I agree with that statement as long as we don't have a rugby-style kicker.

My solution to it is just send a gunner from the sideline to lay him out. Take the 15 yards, but he's not doing it again.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Was it Blackledge that commented a rugby-style punter should be treated like a runner? I agree with that statement as long as we don't have a rugby-style kicker.

My solution to it is just send a gunner from the sideline to lay him out. Take the 15 yards, but he's not doing it again.
Back on my "dead horse" issue but this is exactly right. I actually thought the rule was once a punter took more than two steps he was fair game. How do you determine whether he is faking or punting at that point? That rule must have changed - probably around the same time they dropped the "illegal lineman downfield" penalty on punts. The combination of those two rules (or lack of rules) kind of tarnishes the CFB punting game for me.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The reason we couldn't abbreviate his roll out or block it was because we had to mind the possibility that UDub would fake it. There were just a lot of factors that precluded a return. More effective first down passing and better communication from the sidelines on offense...it wouldn't have made a difference where we got the ball.

Sometimes you just gotta tip your hat to the opponent. Their punter wasn't that great but they had a good plan to make sure special teams didn't contribute to the scoreboard.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Earle -- I'm pretty sure the punter does lose the protection of roughing penalties when he's stepped outside the tackles. He becomes a regular ball carrier at that point, and can be hit as any running back can. That includes the same protection against late hits / unnecessary roughness that any RB has.

Don't know where the punter loses protection against roughing if he tucks and runs up the middle. Guessing it's a judgment call, but I don't know that for sure.
True (unless the rule was changed from the 2015 football rules). I'm wondering now if the punter was outside the tackles when Bama was flagged in the Washington game... I think UW declined so I don't guess it mattered.

The UW quarterback had the best punt of the game.

Last edited:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I forget what series it was but I think we had like 3 bad plays in a row on offense and it got to like 3rd and 27 and I yelled just punt the ball at the TV. We couldn't do anything so just punt before it gets worse. :wink:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
True (unless the rule was changed from the 2015 football rules). I'm wondering now if the punter was outside the tackles when Bama was flagged in the Washington game... I think UW declined so I don't guess it mattered.

4-5 steps HAS to be outside the tackles - although not sure how that gets interpreted when these teams use really wide set lines now.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.