What do you think about Minkah For returning punts?

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
I saw this mentioned on the SEC Network and thought it was a good idea. Diggs was scary against Washington.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Rather just have somebody back there to fair catch em at this point. Can keep losing yardage on the roll and risk fumbling by tip toeing around the ball as it rolls another 20 yards because it wasn't fielded..

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
I think Minkah's skill sets would lend themselves well to punt returns. Like EJ, he has a knack of finding creases and return lanes. I would definitely prefer him over Ardarius, who, while he is super athletic, is not as shifty and doesn't has the same level of vision (as evident by the failed conversion last week). Plus I still have 2015 Ole Miss in the back of my head.

TallapoosaTide

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 16, 2015
Maybe we need to let a couple of these posters on this thread get back there and try to catch one of those Washington soccer style sideways punts. Geez. I'm glad everyone is a expert on how to catch awkward punts but id STICK WITH DIGGS! HES DUE!

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Diggs is an excellent athlete who will be a star either on offense or defense, but you want to look away every time he is back for a punt return or start praying. You don't have to be an expert to see he has problems with fielding punts and it didn't start with the Washington game. Fielding kicks is a special skill set and not every athlete can consistently do it well.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I thought the best thing was to let those punts go for the most part in that game. They were very awkward looking.
I have to admit that I wanted him to stay away. We weren't putting on a rush, so their kicker was getting away with 5-8 steps to the side before he kicked, so their coverage almost arrived simultaneously with the ball. I thought we should have just conceded the fair catch and pressured the punter every kick...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Diggs does cause me to hold my breath with his fielding, but I'd rather not risk Fitzpatrick back there after Eddie went down. Losing another star DB would be horrible for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAKEPRIDE22

2nd Team
Jul 21, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I saw this mentioned on the SEC Network and thought it was a good idea. Diggs was scary against Washington.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Those punts that Washington punter sent to Diggs took some really scary bounces. Not sure if it was Diggs not judging the punts or just not being able to get under them because they were line drives.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I have no problem with Diggs not wanting to field the knuckle ball style punts. My point is if you're not going to field the punt then get away from the ball. Don't dance around the ball while it rolls down the field. He did that on just about every punt. The ball could have easily took an awkward bounce and made contact with him and there were 4-5 Washington players there to recover. Pretty simple. If you can't field the punt then just get away from the football. We don't need someone back there acting cute on punt returns..

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Maybe we need to let a couple of these posters on this thread get back there and try to catch one of those Washington soccer style sideways punts. Geez. I'm glad everyone is a expert on how to catch awkward punts but id STICK WITH DIGGS! HES DUE!
yeah, it would have been super risky to even try to field some of those punts.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have to admit that I wanted him to stay away. We weren't putting on a rush, so their kicker was getting away with 5-8 steps to the side before he kicked, so their coverage almost arrived simultaneously with the ball. I thought we should have just conceded the fair catch and pressured the punter every kick...
we did finally start pressuring a couple later.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I agree. I thought we should have turned up the heat on the Udub punter, so he couldn't take 5-plus steps before punting. Those style punts are dangerous to field to start with, so conceding the fair catch in exchange for going after the punter seems like the way to go.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I have no problem with Diggs not wanting to field the knuckle ball style punts. My point is if you're not going to field the punt then get away from the ball. Don't dance around the ball while it rolls down the field. He did that on just about every punt. The ball could have easily took an awkward bounce and made contact with him and there were 4-5 Washington players there to recover. Pretty simple. If you can't field the punt then just get away from the football. We don't need someone back there acting cute on punt returns..
Typically you have to have your return guy nearby to try and stop extra long rolls early or to have good hands in the area in case a blocker accidentally runs into an awkward bounce. They often save 10-20 yards of field position snatching up the rolls going our opponent's way. While it can be scary for the fans you have to trust that he's near the ball for a reason and not just to look cute on tv.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I would rather Diggs be back there than Minkah. Diggs is pretty good. He reminds me of Freddie Milons the way her runs with the ball. Adoree Jackson was hurt the other night and the play/tackle looked very similar to Eddie's. Keep our DB's off punt returns and let some of the other skilled position guys do it.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I agree. I thought we should have turned up the heat on the Udub punter, so he couldn't take 5-plus steps before punting. Those style punts are dangerous to field to start with, so conceding the fair catch in exchange for going after the punter seems like the way to go.
Posted this in another thread - but I really wish the NCAA would reinstate the lineman downfield rule on punts to get rid of these 5 step punters.

I would like to see Dieter back there - more maturity & better decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.