One black man has spent years befriending KKK members...

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
He's not really "defeating" it. If he is trying to eradicate systematic racism, he is misguided. On the other hand, he is trying to rescue as as many individuals from racism as he can and that is to be applauded.

I admire his resolve because discussions with bigots are exhausting. No matter what you do to humanize yourself, they exist in an echo chamber and surround themselves with information that validates their point of view. Changing that perspective and making them see how racism affects those who are targeted is an exercise in eliciting common tropes of black on black crime, inferiority complexes, entitlement, reverse racism, etc.

The racism we should be focusing on doesn't wear a hood.

Anyone read this article? This thread made me think about it.
I realize I have no idea what racism means personally, other than being force bussed from a school at the end of my block as a second grader to a school that was predominately black. At first I had to learn how to keep my lunch money but that wasn't a huge deal. Enough about that, this looks like a group of folks hiding out to plan to change the masses. I see no reason to fear people afraid to even be out in the open with their ideas. The argument that any race could be superior to another is so absurd it doesn't justify any sane persons thoughts at all.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I can't believe Derek Black said he started to admire Obama and trusting the federal government.
There's actually quite a lot to admire about Obama. Not saying he was the greatest president by any means, but he is quite an inspiring story.

As for trusting the government, it's a mixed bag. Note the next line where it said Derek started drinking tap water. This is what I think he meant.

I work all week for a paycheck, which I deposit in a bank run by strangers, and trust that I can take my money out at any time, because that bank is federally regulated. I drive on roads and bridges built by federal and local governments without worrying if they're going to collapse under me. I eat USDA-inspected meat without worrying that they're going to poison me. I check the NOAA website every morning when I wake up, and watch James Spann's vlog, which relies on weather models maintained by our government and others. I drink the water that comes out of my tap confident it won't kill me.

On the other hand, I do not trust the government to be efficient, consistently wise or particularly intelligent. I don't trust them to rise above politics and do the right thing. I don't trust them to identify problems and solve them before they get out of control.

The government has many flaws. It doesn't work the way it ideally should, but it does function in a basic sense. I'd like it to work better, but I trust it to do more good than harm.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
As for trusting the government, it's a mixed bag. Note the next line where it said Derek started drinking tap water. This is what I think he meant.

I work all week for a paycheck, which I deposit in a bank run by strangers, and trust that I can take my money out at any time, because that bank is federally regulated. I drive on roads and bridges built by federal and local governments without worrying if they're going to collapse under me. I eat USDA-inspected meat without worrying that they're going to poison me. I check the NOAA website every morning when I wake up, and watch James Spann's vlog, which relies on weather models maintained by our government and others. I drink the water that comes out of my tap confident it won't kill me.

On the other hand, I do not trust the government to be efficient, consistently wise or particularly intelligent. I don't trust them to rise above politics and do the right thing. I don't trust them to identify problems and solve them before they get out of control.

The government has many flaws. It doesn't work the way it ideally should, but it does function in a basic sense. I'd like it to work better, but I trust it to do more good than harm.
Regarding trust in government, I was with you until your very last statement. If limited to the "basic sense" of functionality that you referenced, I can probably agree with you. In totality, I'm not too sure. It would be interesting to do an accounting.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He's not really "defeating" it. If he is trying to eradicate systematic racism, he is misguided. On the other hand, he is trying to rescue as as many individuals from racism as he can and that is to be applauded.

I admire his resolve because discussions with bigots are exhausting. No matter what you do to humanize yourself, they exist in an echo chamber and surround themselves with information that validates their point of view. Changing that perspective and making them see how racism affects those who are targeted is an exercise in eliciting common tropes of black on black crime, inferiority complexes, entitlement, reverse racism, etc.

The racism we should be focusing on doesn't wear a hood.

Anyone read this article? This thread made me think about it.
Nice article.

I remember when his dad was in the news a lot when he was head of the KKK in the 70s. I always thought it was funny someone named Black became so powerful in a racist group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
There's actually quite a lot to admire about Obama. Not saying he was the greatest president by any means, but he is quite an inspiring story.

obama being admirable or not needs its on thread. I like what George Washington said about government is that it is a necessary evil.

I admire Obama about how he became the first biracial president of America.

His policies are terrible though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
IMHO the biggest threat to society is not racism.....it's ignorance and stupidity.

Our political parties are not helping us in this matter.

This past election is proof that finally they are being held accountable.

Our country is better than most of what you see in the news.

In addition to the politicians....and maybe even more so responsible for much of the ignorance in our country is the mainstream media. they are also (finally) beginning to be held accountable.

Accountability is all we have, really.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
IMHO the biggest threat to society is not racism.....it's ignorance and stupidity.

In addition to the politicians....and maybe even more so responsible for much of the ignorance in our country is the mainstream media. they are also (finally) beginning to be held accountable.

I would dare say it's greed at the expense of others. There's nothing wrong with making the money, but you don't have to destroy others' livelihoods in the process. I think that, more than anything tears at the fabric of our country. The Wall Street bankers come to mind, but then again, I obviously have it in for them.

True words. When it comes to accountability though, we aren't holding the right people accountable in my opinion. And then comes a thing called convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.