Link: Minkah Fitzpatrick Wants Clemson To See The Real Bama Defense

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Of course Clemson is capable, but our defense is too...Fitz's comments sounds like more of a challenge to the defense than it is locker room material for the media and Clemson

I expect containment of Watson, and that's not to say he won't get a play or two go his way. But our defense is definitely the difference this time around. If the offense can give us 14-21 points, I say that's enough to win. Where's your confidence???

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Of course Clemson is capable, but our defense is too...Fitz's comments sounds like more of a challenge to the defense than it is locker room material for the media and Clemson

I expect containment of Watson, and that's not to say he won't get a play or two go his way. But our defense is definitely the difference this time around. If the offense can give us 14-21 points, I say that's enough to win. Where's your confidence???
This made me think of one of my favorite lines from my favorite show, The Blacklist.

"Aren't we confident today?"

"I'm confident every day!"

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I think Alabama wins but this is a matchup nightmare for Bama. Clemson is clearly better at QB and wide receiver. At every other position, Bama is either better or it's a wash. Minkah got schooled last year that Renfrow kid. I don't think Renfrow even starts this year. Williams reminds me of that big receiver Johnny Manziel used to throw to.

The only way Bama wins is to contain and pressure DW. The defense absolutely has to play better. I really expect our offense to play MUCH better than against Washington, but Bama is not going to win another shoot out IMO. The good news is I think Bama can and will contain and pressure DW.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
What inspires a lot of confidence in this game for me is what other teams were able to accomplish against Clemson this past year and the fact that Deshaun Watson has underperformed compared to last season. I'm not saying Clemson cannot beat us, but there is no reason to be all doom and gloom about this game.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I think Alabama wins but this is a matchup nightmare for Bama. Clemson is clearly better at QB and wide receiver. At every other position, Bama is either better or it's a wash. Minkah got schooled last year that Renfrow kid. I don't think Renfrow even starts this year. Williams reminds me of that big receiver Johnny Manziel used to throw to.

The only way Bama wins is to contain and pressure DW. The defense absolutely has to play better. I really expect our offense to play MUCH better than against Washington, but Bama is not going to win another shoot out IMO. The good news is I think Bama can and will contain and pressure DW.
Mike Evans. I'll never forget. He ate our DB's for lunch back in 2013 when we went to College Station.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
the fact that Deshaun Watson has underperformed compared to last season.
Watson's stats disagree...

(bold is better)

2015 (through 14 games):
3,699 passing yards (.681), 31 TDs passing, 1,032 rushing yards, 12 TDs rushing (43 total TDs), 4,731 total yards

2016 (through 14 games):
4,173 passing yards (.673), 38 TDs passing, 586 rushing yards, 8 TDs rushing (46 total TDs), 4,759 total yards

More total yards and more total TD's this year.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Watson's stats disagree...

(bold is better)

2015 (through 14 games):
3,699 passing yards (.681), 31 TDs passing, 1,032 rushing yards, 12 TDs rushing (43 total TDs), 4,731 total yards

2016 (through 14 games):
4,173 passing yards (.673), 38 TDs passing, 586 rushing yards, 8 TDs rushing (46 total TDs), 4,759 total yards

More total yards and more total TD's this year.
How in the world did Watson not win the heisman?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
we have learned Smart's best performances were not against this type of team. Pruitt has a track record that tends to hurt this type of team. We shall see.......

MobileBama84

Scout Team
Aug 30, 2016
Daphne, AL
I agree with you on this. I mean Auburn held them to 19 and it took all the way well into the 4th quarter of that game for them to score their last TD.

What inspires a lot of confidence in this game for me is what other teams were able to accomplish against Clemson this past year and the fact that Deshaun Watson has underperformed compared to last season. I'm not saying Clemson cannot beat us, but there is no reason to be all doom and gloom about this game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
we have learned Smart's best performances were not against this type of team. Pruitt has a track record that tends to hurt this type of team. We shall see.......
Great point. I think we have the personnel that usually gives even the good offenses of this type trouble.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Clemson has a cult-like mentality about that game last year. I talked with several of their fans afterwards and to a person they NEVER said, "Congrats! or Y'all beat us that night, Great game!" or really anything like that. No, if I heard this once I heard it a 1000 times, "We didn't lose, we ran out of time." I know Dabo said it and it is like it has become their slogan.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Clemson has a cult-like mentality about that game last year. I talked with several of their fans afterwards and to a person they NEVER said, "Congrats! or Y'all beat us that night, Great game!" or really anything like that. No, if I heard this once I heard it a 1000 times, "We didn't lose, we ran out of time." I know Dabo said it and it is like it has become their slogan.

I hope we win on a last second kick-off return just to see their heads explode.
Just kidding.
I hope we win by 40 and score on all fronts.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
that was richt and uga's slogan after the 2012 seccg too. it was the wind beneath their wings.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I think there's a subconscious thing going on here. I saw this with the Atlanta Braves of the early 1990s. Clemson has been humming along and they're back in the game a second straight year and ready to win it all. But the problem is this: they were very successful last year at scoring points and accumulating yards even though they came up short. In the back of their minds, the only reason they 'really' lost that game was because of 'lucky breaks' - like the onsides kick. They figure that one extra possession was the five-point difference.

The problem for Clemson, though, is that since Alabama won and the mentality is different, Clemson arrives figuring they just have to play the same game they did last year but execute one more play; Alabama won but is approaching it like a team that lost while Clemson lost it and is approaching it like a team that won. And that's why I don't think it's going to be as close as most folks think it will.

Clemson played their peak game against Ohio State. The problem is this: Urban Meyer, for all his successes, has notoriously had teams - GOOD TEAMS - just not show up for games or flop when they got there. How did Florida lose to Auburn in 2006 or Ole Miss in 2008? Well, they lost the Auburn game on turnovers and only netting 279 yards of offense. They lost to Ole Miss on turnovers, too (do you realize that Ole Miss in 2008 only had ten first downs, gave up 443 yards while only getting 325, and got flagged for twice as many penalties for twice as many yards.....but won the game? Three turnovers killed a great Gators team). I'm not trying to rip Meyer, who's the second best coach out there right now, but many times his teams have shown up and just crashed (2005 Alabama). But Clemson still played their peak.

Alabama, meanwhile, plodded and mailed it in against Washington on offense....but it was still enough.

And I think the approach is what is going to do the Tigers in on Monday night. It's not the same team, and Alabama will have spent the entire week correcting what was done wrong last year.

This game is going to show how good of an in-game coach Dabo Swinney really is. And you never bet against Saban on that contest.
What kind of final score do you see? I'd be interested in knowing.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
that was richt and uga's slogan after the 2012 seccg too. it was the wind beneath their wings.
Dak Prescott said the same thing about our win over them in 2014.
Every close game was a tight-win that ran out of time for the losing team.

I'd be curious to hear from others how many games we've ACTUALLY lost due to extra time being added to the regulation clock.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I don't get it. Bama got the same 60 minutes Clemson did. You only get 60 minutes (assuming it's not an OT game).

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
I think there's a subconscious thing going on here. I saw this with the Atlanta Braves of the early 1990s. Clemson has been humming along and they're back in the game a second straight year and ready to win it all. But the problem is this: they were very successful last year at scoring points and accumulating yards even though they came up short. In the back of their minds, the only reason they 'really' lost that game was because of 'lucky breaks' - like the onsides kick. They figure that one extra possession was the five-point difference.

The problem for Clemson, though, is that since Alabama won and the mentality is different, Clemson arrives figuring they just have to play the same game they did last year but execute one more play; Alabama won but is approaching it like a team that lost while Clemson lost it and is approaching it like a team that won. And that's why I don't think it's going to be as close as most folks think it will.

Clemson played their peak game against Ohio State. The problem is this: Urban Meyer, for all his successes, has notoriously had teams - GOOD TEAMS - just not show up for games or flop when they got there. How did Florida lose to Auburn in 2006 or Ole Miss in 2008? Well, they lost the Auburn game on turnovers and only netting 279 yards of offense. They lost to Ole Miss on turnovers, too (do you realize that Ole Miss in 2008 only had ten first downs, gave up 443 yards while only getting 325, and got flagged for twice as many penalties for twice as many yards.....but won the game? Three turnovers killed a great Gators team). I'm not trying to rip Meyer, who's the second best coach out there right now, but many times his teams have shown up and just crashed (2005 Alabama). But Clemson still played their peak.

Alabama, meanwhile, plodded and mailed it in against Washington on offense....but it was still enough.

And I think the approach is what is going to do the Tigers in on Monday night. It's not the same team, and Alabama will have spent the entire week correcting what was done wrong last year.

This game is going to show how good of an in-game coach Dabo Swinney really is. And you never bet against Saban on that contest.
This is exactly how I feel about it. As odd as it sounds, I think our guys want the rematch more than theirs. This defense is hungry to prove they can shut this team and Watson down. And I think they will. The only way this game is close is if our offense can't consistently move the ball. Constant three and outs would change everything. We need to hold onto the ball, ground and pound, and jalen is going to have to make some tough 3rd down throws to keep drives alive. He's also going to need a few successful vertical throws to keep them honest. Most good teams can load the box and limit running yards so I don't think we can hang our hats on that. I hope to see a balanced offense Monday with a great game called by Sarkisian! I hope were done with the head scratching play calling

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Defense wins championships, so goes the old saying. Well, we shall see. If our defense plays as well as we know it can, then we will be champs again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.