Link: Minkah Fitzpatrick Wants Clemson To See The Real Bama Defense

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
http://alabama.247sports.com/Articl...igers-didnt-see-the-real-Alabama-Cri-50296959

“I’m real excited to get another chance cause I didn’t play real well against them,” Fitzpatrick said. “The whole defense really didn’t play that well, and I said earlier, ‘They didn’t see the real Bama last year. They just saw a little flash of it.’ Hopefully this year if we go play right, they’re gonna get a little taste of the real Bama.”

if CNS is allowing a sophomore to speak about a game esp. the National Championship game, there is a damn good reason why.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..To Clemson's credit their offense played better against an Alabama coached D during last years NC Game, than any offense ever has, I hope that isn't the case Mondy & they walk off the football field seeing the kinda D that's dominated college football like no D has during "The Process"..

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think there's a subconscious thing going on here. I saw this with the Atlanta Braves of the early 1990s. Clemson has been humming along and they're back in the game a second straight year and ready to win it all. But the problem is this: they were very successful last year at scoring points and accumulating yards even though they came up short. In the back of their minds, the only reason they 'really' lost that game was because of 'lucky breaks' - like the onsides kick. They figure that one extra possession was the five-point difference.

The problem for Clemson, though, is that since Alabama won and the mentality is different, Clemson arrives figuring they just have to play the same game they did last year but execute one more play; Alabama won but is approaching it like a team that lost while Clemson lost it and is approaching it like a team that won. And that's why I don't think it's going to be as close as most folks think it will.

Clemson played their peak game against Ohio State. The problem is this: Urban Meyer, for all his successes, has notoriously had teams - GOOD TEAMS - just not show up for games or flop when they got there. How did Florida lose to Auburn in 2006 or Ole Miss in 2008? Well, they lost the Auburn game on turnovers and only netting 279 yards of offense. They lost to Ole Miss on turnovers, too (do you realize that Ole Miss in 2008 only had ten first downs, gave up 443 yards while only getting 325, and got flagged for twice as many penalties for twice as many yards.....but won the game? Three turnovers killed a great Gators team). I'm not trying to rip Meyer, who's the second best coach out there right now, but many times his teams have shown up and just crashed (2005 Alabama). But Clemson still played their peak.

Alabama, meanwhile, plodded and mailed it in against Washington on offense....but it was still enough.

And I think the approach is what is going to do the Tigers in on Monday night. It's not the same team, and Alabama will have spent the entire week correcting what was done wrong last year.

This game is going to show how good of an in-game coach Dabo Swinney really is. And you never bet against Saban on that contest.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I think there's a subconscious thing going on here. I saw this with the Atlanta Braves of the early 1990s. Clemson has been humming along and they're back in the game a second straight year and ready to win it all. But the problem is this: they were very successful last year at scoring points and accumulating yards even though they came up short. In the back of their minds, the only reason they 'really' lost that game was because of 'lucky breaks' - like the onsides kick. They figure that one extra possession was the five-point difference.

The problem for Clemson, though, is that since Alabama won and the mentality is different, Clemson arrives figuring they just have to play the same game they did last year but execute one more play; Alabama won but is approaching it like a team that lost while Clemson lost it and is approaching it like a team that won. And that's why I don't think it's going to be as close as most folks think it will.

Clemson played their peak game against Ohio State. The problem is this: Urban Meyer, for all his successes, has notoriously had teams - GOOD TEAMS - just not show up for games or flop when they got there. How did Florida lose to Auburn in 2006 or Ole Miss in 2008? Well, they lost the Auburn game on turnovers and only netting 279 yards of offense. They lost to Ole Miss on turnovers, too (do you realize that Ole Miss in 2008 only had ten first downs, gave up 443 yards while only getting 325, and got flagged for twice as many penalties for twice as many yards.....but won the game? Three turnovers killed a great Gators team). I'm not trying to rip Meyer, who's the second best coach out there right now, but many times his teams have shown up and just crashed (2005 Alabama). But Clemson still played their peak.

Alabama, meanwhile, plodded and mailed it in against Washington on offense....but it was still enough.

And I think the approach is what is going to do the Tigers in on Monday night. It's not the same team, and Alabama will have spent the entire week correcting what was done wrong last year.

This game is going to show how good of an in-game coach Dabo Swinney really is. And you never bet against Saban on that contest.
Really good analysis -- I totally agree. I have some close CU friends as one son graduated from there. They really believe what you said...that they beat us on the field. I really don't think this game will be close -- 14 points or more. Defense is better and offense will show up...

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Wasn't there a Clemson player that didn't get to play last year and made a statement that if he had played they would have beaten Bama? I hope he gets to play this time around, I really want to see how special he is.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Really good analysis -- I totally agree. I have some close CU friends as one son graduated from there. They really believe what you said...that they beat us on the field. I really don't think this game will be close -- 14 points or more. Defense is better and offense will show up...
And they all seem to forget that they cut it to 5 with 15 seconds left when we were trying to run the clock out on D. It was really an 11 pt win. That last irrelevant TD gave them way more confidence than they deserve to have.

The talk about only being 2-3 plays away from winning. They were also 2-3 plays from losing by 20

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Mike Williams didn't play last year. He's very good. He worries me.
Mike Williams and Deon Caine didn't play last year. Mike Williams will be the first receiver drafted this year and Deon Caine is awfully good. To that I say so what. He still needs to have time to find them and it won't be as easy this year. I love how AE is playing this year and if DW does not put the ball on the money he is going to pick one. Jump ball situations Mike Williams will probably win a few of those but that won't determine the game. I have watched them play this year, there are stretches even if he is dominating where they will go away from him.

Spot on. I also think this game will not be as close as some predict. I seriously doubt we will see the same Bama offense that showed up in the Washington game.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
FWIW - the last actual blowout of Clemson was the 2014 GA game.

Jeremy Pruitt was the DC.

Their 31.6 ppg offense got 21 points while Brent Venables' 'awesome defense' gave up 293 yards and 45 points to Todd Gurley.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Spot on. I also think this game will not be as close as some predict. I seriously doubt we will see the same Bama offense that showed up in the Washington game

Hopefully Clemson will run the same D as Washington hoping for the same results

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't exactly have warm fuzzies about this game either. It is a very capable opponent and we're kinda sputtering to the finish line on offense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.