Link: Dalvin Tomlinson - Renaissance Man

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Anyone who has ever wondered how football players get so big has clearly never tried my mom’s cooking.

Back when I was playing in high school, all of us defensive and offensive linemen would head back to my place after we finished up our morning workouts in the summer. These were some really big guys, and we’d all be completely exhausted and covered in grass stains and sweat — but by the time we got to my street there was always a little giddyup in our steps. That’s because of what was waiting for us: the biggest Southern-style breakfast you’ve ever seen.

Just about every day my mom would prepare this huge meal for us. I’m talking stacks on stacks of pancakes, huge piles of bacon (of course), mounds of eggs and my uncle’s homemade sausage. I wish I could bottle the smell.

Those were the best mornings. Me and my friends just sitting around laughing and stuffing our faces, while my mom looked on with a big smile. People who know me tell me I take a lot from her, including her smile.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
what a fantastic story. Young Mr. Tomlinson will have a great future staying grounded in the principles his mother, family and coaches fostered in him. We're going to miss this group of seniors...

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
what a fantastic story. Young Mr. Tomlinson will have a great future staying grounded in the principles his mother, family and coaches fostered in him. We're going to miss this group of seniors...
One of the best group of leaders this school has ever had.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
the unsung hero of the DL. gets no accolades, but I dare say, if he were to have missed extended time, we would have noticed badly.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Almost expected to see him in goal yesterday at White Hart Lane for Spurs v. Chelsea before flying back across to play defence in the next big game...

MobileBama84

Scout Team
Aug 30, 2016
Daphne, AL
Wow. Towards the end their I choked up a bit. What a great read and such an amazing story about Dalvin. No wonder he is having a great season as a first year starter.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
If you’ve ever been in a high school wrestling room, you can probably kinda picture it. The ceiling is around seven feet tall. The school’s colors wrap around the walls. For some reason the heat is always on. The air is heavy. Straight up, it stinks.
Seems that some things are darn near universal.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
WOW, What an incredible young man! Didn't know about his Mom. Dalvin, with your type of character you will go very far in life regardless of what you do.

RTR!

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Compare that article to the Speech from Bouleware eloquently detailing his and his mates risque escapades on the field and locker room

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Before I got to my senior year of high school, my mom got sick.
It happened pretty quickly. She had complications related to her diabetes that led to issues with her heart and kidneys. Suddenly, it became clear that I didn’t have much time left with her.
Part of what made her illness so difficult was that it happened during a time when I really needed her. A lot of colleges were contacting me and I was torn trying to decide between schools all over the country — from Georgia to Bama, even to Harvard. (I know she was proud that I had the opportunity to attend Harvard.) I had a lot of questions, and she had always been the person with the answers.
Near the end, I got to spend an entire day with her at the hospital, just talking, laughing and trying to soak in every minute. We went through all of my options, and that was when I decided I was going to attend Alabama and promised her that I’d earn my degree. It was important to me to let her know that I was going to do her proud.
The next day, she was gone.
I admit, I choked up at this also.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
This story was published in T'town the weekend of the MSU game. I read it in the hotel before the game, and found myself watching him the entire time. It's been said before, but there are so many great stories of perseverance through life struggles at all schools but we get to see so few of them.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Re: Dalvin Tomlinson: renaissance man- The Players Tribue article

I love reading these Player Tribune entries. It takes the helmet and pads off the player and goes to the heart and personality of what makes each one unique. The essay style really lets the player speak on his own terms rather than giving canned answers to a reporter's question. Things we otherwise wouldn't know about all the supposed "robots from the factory".

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

That was brilliant. That was poetry in motion. Absolutely a beautifully painted picture of how Dalvin got to where he is. He has now joined the eternal list of my favorite players!

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

That's a very encouraging story. I think Dalvin will do a lot of good in the world.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.