Big 12 Officials for Monday

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Anyone interested in this stat please see my thread where I did extensive research on a 14 year period. The results pretty much prove that we've been getting a raw deal ever since Coach Saban won his first title here. During the 7 year period before his first title our ranking was 46, but after we won and became successful the next 7 years we dropped to a ranking of 96. Quite a difference. They simply quit calling penalties on our opponents.

Last edited:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Anyone interested in this stat please see my thread where I did extensive research on a 14 year period. The results pretty much prove that we've been getting a raw deal ever since Coach Saban won his first title here. During the 7 year period before his first title our ranking was 46, but after we won and became successful the next 7 years we dropped to a ranking of 96. Quite a difference. They simply quit calling penalties on our opponents.
Can you link it, would like to read your research

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
But as my high school coach said, if you leave the game in the hands of the refs then you are flirting with disaster. Basically we needed to knock Clemson out, and we didn't.
While I do agree with this train of thought, I also know part of the reason why Bama couldn't knock Clemson out because the refs were not doing their jobs (and Alabama couldn't get out of it's own way). While I won't blame the refs for the outcome, they most certainly do not get away scot-free from blame.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Interesting that the 2 "pick play" TDs were the same basic play that got called OPI in the Notre Dame - Florida State game a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
The only way I can see to do that is to put all referees under NCAA control. In a sport whose championship the NCAA doesn't even govern, that's not likely. Perhaps the Power 5 could agree to merge their separate referees into one pan-conference group, but again that seems a stretch give their differing world views on football (and refereeing) philosophy.

Maybe an exes and ohs guy can tell me: is it part of some coaches job, in game prep, to scout the referees and their tendencies?

There is an organization caked the CFO. It's an attempt to standardize training and mechanics across ask conferences and levels of college football. Rogers Redding is the head of it. There may still be some philosophical differences between conferences but they are minimal. Most differences are interceptions from fans that don't have a basis in fact. But perceptions can be reality. There is nothing that can be done to change that.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Sorry, friend, but this is plainly not the case. I understand the refs are ostensibly all on the same page, but it doesn't take much to see that there are philosophical and cultural differences in the way each conference operates. Recall Art Briles campaigning in 2014 for a Texas-based voice on the selection committee - one that understood their style of football. He was wrong, of course, but the reason that play isn't run with any consistency in the SEC or even ACC is that those conference officials are going to call it for what it is - an illegal play.

Last edited:

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Sorry, friend, but this is plainly not the case. I understand the refs are ostensibly all on the same page, but it doesn't take much to see that there are philosophical and cultural differences in the way each conference operates. Recall Art Briles campaigning in 2014 for a Texas-based voice on the selection committee - one that understood their style of football. He was wrong, of course, but the reason that play isn't run with any consistency in the SEC or even ACC is that those conference officials are going to call it for what it is - an illegal play.

I won't disagree with that. But there are going to be differences crew to crew and conference to conference no matter what is done. If I'm in a conference where most teams huddle and use the entire play clock it will be an adjustment to work a game with two no huddle teams. Until the CFO existed there was very little oversight and coordination between conferences. Now they are much more consistent. You don't have to understand that or agree but I can guarantee you it's true. But you will never have 100% consistency on everything because there are so many variables.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Herbie also immediately called it a pick play when they scored to get to 21
It's all water under the bridge now, and nothing is going to change, but I keep hearing that the BAMA player initiated the contact on the Clemson receiver. That looks like BS to me. I've looked at it several times and to me the Clemson receiver clearly runs into our DB pushing him back and making Tony Brown run around him to get to Renfro. Don't know how this could not be considered a pick. But it's done, on to next year and hoping we get back to the big game again. Krymsonman

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Oh man, that league calls pass interference a lot in the few games I have seen.
...but they don't seem to want to call pick plays? A rule is a rule - every official in every conference should enforce them to a (only slightly flexible) standard. Ones who don't in the playoffs should be relegated to calling all of the crap games in their conference next year.
Both of those plays were illegal and should have been called. Sorry, I'm not giving Clemson credit for winning by making illegal plays and getting away with it.
Not worried anyway - Bama won't get a shot at revenge next year. Clemson won two games by blatantly missed calls (FSU - hate to say it but JF was correct); I do not see a repeat of that, plus they don't have another DW ready to step in and take over.

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
...but they don't seem to want to call pick plays? A rule is a rule - every official in every conference should enforce them to a (only slightly flexible) standard. Ones who don't in the playoffs should be relegated to calling all of the crap games in their conference next year.
Both of those plays were illegal and should have been called. Sorry, I'm not giving Clemson credit for winning by making illegal plays and getting away with it.
Not worried anyway - Bama won't get a shot at revenge next year. Clemson won two games by blatantly missed calls (FSU - hate to say it but JF was correct); I do not see a repeat of that, plus they don't have another DW ready to step in and take over.
I agree - they could easily lose 3. AU, Louisville & FSU

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Al.com had an article up quoting Rogers Redding as stating that the no-call on the last illegal pick play was correct. Of course, I also remember him heading the SWC crew that called the '93 Sugar Bowl and calling an egregiously horrible unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Derrick Lassic for spinning the ball after he thought he'd scored a touchdown. Clearly Redding is living proof of the Peter Principle and should be put out to pasture posthaste.

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
That's really funny. Herbstreit is calling that FSU-ND game and calls it a pick play. That play looked very closed to what Clemson did, but not a word from Herbstreit on it. He was obviously happy Clemson scored.
Go back and listen to DW interview with Rinaldi after the game. He said that they ran the "pick play" perfectly. Admitted that the play was called because of our coverage. It was 100% uncoverable.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.