Recruiting Thoughts 1/5/17

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
The state of Georgia is always loaded.....if he can keep the majority of them at UGA, he will have top talent. But Richt had talent always too......developing that talent into Champions is the key.
Nick Saban is UGA's worst enemy in this respect...been cherry pickin' that state for the past 10 years.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
Nick Saban is UGA's worst enemy in this respect...been cherry pickin' that state for the past 10 years.
Just going off my memory, it seems like Georgia is always able to hold on to their top 5 guys in the state. But that state is loaded every year and a number of teams always grab a few 4 stars out of there.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Just going off my memory, it seems like Georgia is always able to hold on to their top 5 guys in the state. But that state is loaded every year and a number of teams always grab a few 4 stars out of there.
it was a few seasons back where UGA pushed a "dream team" recruiting class in response to Saban's success in recruiting in Georgia ... the aftermath was UGA only made it to one SEC championship run and CMR eventually getting fired, go figure.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Averett is a junior - you think he's going out early? he's had a great year but I didn't think he'd be looking at the draft already and was kinda hoping at this time next year he'd be helping us compete for another ring...
No I don't. I meant after the NC game next year he will be making money. He will stay through this next year and be a high round draft pick in 2018.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
On the day before playing for 5 out of 8 NCs, how cool is it that we have such a stellar class of potential super stars. It looks full of impact players. So excited!!!

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
On the day before playing for 5 out of 8 NCs, how cool is it that we have such a stellar class of potential super stars. It looks full of impact players. So excited!!!
Yeah, I think at normal schools they have down years where recruits realize that the depth chart is a little too deep at their respective positions... However, we are currently anything but a normal school! Guys are lining up year after year to join the fun. Savages want to play with savages! RTR!

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Remember in 2015, we signed 4 guys listed as DBs. In 2016, we signed 3. In that time period, Ohio State signed 4 DBs. This year, they're getting a bunch of guys because they are really thin.

We aren't that thin. We can't handle any transfers this off season, but we aren't in horrible shape right now.

SIAP, but they now have Kendall Sheffield as well...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
It is now 1/20/17 - Inauguration day for a new President and 12 days before payday. Happy days Tidefans and Roll Tide!!!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I see where CB Tariq Castro-Fields is committing on Monday. He is down to us, Maryland and Penn State. Locksley is handling his recruitment now and he says he is torn on his decision. I'm not sure he is a take. Anybody know?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I see where CB Tariq Castro-Fields is committing on Monday. He is down to us, Maryland and Penn State. Locksley is handling his recruitment now and he says he is torn on his decision. I'm not sure he is a take. Anybody know?
If he commits to Bama, we can forget Harris and/or Henderson.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
Read an article on AL.com where Ryan Johnson has canceled his OV next weekend and is no longer considering us. I didn't think we we're really in play for him anyway, but his reasoning of "they have too many people at my position" had me scratching my head. Even if we do, defensive line recruiting has been Auburn's strong point the past 3 seasons. I guess he's just talking about this current class?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Read an article on AL.com where Ryan Johnson has canceled his OV next weekend and is no longer considering us. I didn't think we we're really in play for him anyway, but his reasoning of "they have too many people at my position" had me scratching my head. Even if we do, defensive line recruiting has been Auburn's strong point the past 3 seasons. I guess he's just talking about this current class?
Thinking he means in this class which is a very good sign Labryan Ray will sign with us.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Bama never pushed for Johnson, he has always been down the list a ways and a backup plan at best.

With Ray and Parks at the top of the list and potentially signing with the Tide, Johnson would probably still be down the list.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.