Recruiting Thoughts 1/5/17

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I would not be surprised if OSU passes us on the team rankings this year and finishes #1. That said, anything can happen this last month and perhaps the whooping they received hurt some. But, they are basically in position to sign every 5 star DB possible.

UGA is having a darn good year, but Richt had many darn good years too. Can Smart develop more than Richt? Year 1 did not convince me of that, but between year 1 and 2 will tell the story.

FSU is having a sneaky good year and have two 5-stars already on campus. $100 handshake weekend is still ahead, too. That said, can the distractions be limited to have a consistent year there?

USCw should finish strong. They are in on a lot of good undecideds and Oregon did not make a splash hire. They should close with who they want.

UT is ranked 11th, but they have 21 3-stars. A very Shula-esque class, IMO.

UF is a strange case to me. Maybe they finish strong, but they are losing a lot of good players and this class does not jump out to me at all. They will have to make some gains down the stretch.

AU is going to lose their highest rated commit (the OT) to Maryland. But all you will hear about is Stidham. For all the DL praise they get, they have only one 3 star DT committed.

As for us, really it seems to be down to the following players:

Solomon
Ray
Parks
D. Smith
Ruggs
Kinlaw
Mathis

As of right now, I would say we feel good about them all....but the numbers will not allow all.

Solomon, Ray, and Parks are takes. Kinlaw and Mathis are a question right now. I think we would take Kinlaw. Getting Buggs solved a large problem here.

I have heard both Ruggs and Smith are takes, but I have a hard team seeing that based on numbers. Plus, Smith has been pro-Bama so long, I don't know why he has waited.

I think Harris sticks.

Would not be surprised to see Dean not be a part of this class. Have heard rumblings Byers might not make it academically. Brannon will show up when we tell him to....good kid.

Last edited:

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
I would not be surprised if OSU passes us on the team rankings this year and finishes #1. That said, anything can happen this last month and perhaps the whooping they received hurt some. But, they are basically in position to sign every 5 star DB possible.

UGA is having a darn good year, but Richt had many darn good years too. Can Smart develop more than Richt? Year 1 did not convince me of that, but between year 1 and 2 will tell the story.

FSU is having a sneaky good year and have two 5-stars already on campus. $100 handshake weekend is still ahead, too. That said, can the distractions be limited to have a consistent year there?

USCw should finish strong. They are in on a lot of good undecideds and Oregon did not make a splash hire. They should close with who they want.

UF is a strange case to me. Maybe they finish strong, but they are losing a lot of good players and this class does not jump out to me at all. They will have to make some gains down the stretch.

AU is going to lose their highest rated commit (the OT) to Maryland. But all you will hear about is Stidham. For all the DL praise they get, they have only one 3 star DT committed.

Solomon
Ray
Parks
D. Smith
Ruggs
Kinlaw
Marks

As of right now, I would say we feel good about them all....but the numbers will not allow all.

Solomon, Ray, and Parks are takes. Kinlaw and Marks are a question right now. I think we would take Kinlaw. Getting Buggs solved a large problem here.

I have heard both Ruggs and Smith are takes, but I have a hard team seeing that based on numbers. Plus, Smith has been pro-Bama so long, I don't know why he has waited.

I think Harris sticks.

Would not be surprised to see Dean not be a part of this class. Have heard rumblings Byers might not make it academically. Brannon will show up when we tell him to....good kid.
Nice rundown. I appreciate the hard work. Any other year Ohio would be the clear number 1. The fact that we are signing so many this time is keeping us ahead and maybe for good. Either way this appears to be a stellar class fining a lot of needs with top talent. Hope we finish strong with who we want on the d line

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Nice rundown. I appreciate the hard work. Any other year Ohio would be the clear number 1. The fact that we are signing so many this time is keeping us ahead and maybe for good. Either way this appears to be a stellar class fining a lot of needs with top talent. Hope we finish strong with who we want on the d line
If I remember correctly, I want to say the services only count the top 20 highest rated recruits in a class. I could be really wrong.

Adding Ray and Solomon alone would make a great DL class.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
As always thanks for the info RTO, I'm really hoping we land Ruggs.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Great thread and thanks for all the great info! I will be quite satisfied with closing with Ray and Solomon. It seems we always get a pleasant surprise down the stretch as well too here is hoping for that!

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010
I just don't understand why OSU is able to land so many 5* DBs while we seem to have a hard time. I mean we have Landon and Ha Ha going into pro bowl... Isn't that what 5* kids should be looking at?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I just don't understand why OSU is able to land so many 5* DBs while we seem to have a hard time. I mean we have Landon and Ha Ha going into pro bowl... Isn't that what 5* kids should be looking at?
Not really sure what you mean. Alabama has gotten 15 guys either as a 5* or a 4* and listed by 247 as a DB since 2013. For instance, Eddie wasn't listed as a DB (plus he was only a 3* since he only had one year of football). Ohio State has gotten 16 guys. They could add more, and so can Alabama if things fall in a surprising way.

Alabama has signed 5.7% of the 4 and 5* DBs since 2013. Ohio State has signed 6.1%.

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010
My comments are more of a reaction to "But, they are basically in position to sign every 5 star DB possible." and our team have a pretty thin secondary as of now.
Well, maybe I should not only be focusing on the "5*" DBs.However, I didn't count in those transferred out either.

Not really sure what you mean. Alabama has gotten 15 guys either as a 5* or a 4* and listed by 247 as a DB since 2013. For instance, Eddie wasn't listed as a DB (plus he was only a 3* since he only had one year of football). Ohio State has gotten 16 guys. They could add more, and so can Alabama if things fall in a surprising way.

Alabama has signed 5.7% of the 4 and 5* DBs since 2013. Ohio State has signed 6.1%.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My comments are more of a reaction to "But, they are basically in position to sign every 5 star DB possible." and our team have a pretty thin secondary as of now.
Well, maybe I should not only be focusing on the "5*" DBs.However, I didn't count in those transferred out either.
Remember in 2015, we signed 4 guys listed as DBs. In 2016, we signed 3. In that time period, Ohio State signed 4 DBs. This year, they're getting a bunch of guys because they are really thin.

We aren't that thin. We can't handle any transfers this off season, but we aren't in horrible shape right now.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Minkah, Marlon and Tony are all 5*'s, Ronnie was a highly rated 4* that played QB in HS. Averett was a 3* but will be making money this time next year playing football. I think we are OK.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
If I remember correctly, I want to say the services only count the top 20 highest rated recruits in a class. I could be really wrong.

Adding Ray and Solomon alone would make a great DL class.
Ah I didn't realize this. Good information. We're pretty top heavy ourselves with 3 in the top 10. 247 has a class calculator and adding ray, solomon, parks, ruggs, and smith gets us up to 323.42. We're currently sitting at 311.07. To compare last year we finished at 301.41. So, no matter how it shakes out, this is a stellar class! Ohio state is currently at 300 with 17 commits

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Who is Marks? Missed that name. Mathis I was following as another DL, but not a Marks. Just curious. Thanks

Solomon
Ray
Parks
D. Smith
Ruggs
Kinlaw
Marks

Solomon, Ray, and Parks are takes. Kinlaw and Marks are a question right now. I think we would take Kinlaw. Getting Buggs solved a large problem here.

I think Harris sticks.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Kirby and Georgia won`t have a lack of talent excuse. Expectations over here in Georgia are going to be sky high next year.
The state of Georgia is always loaded.....if he can keep the majority of them at UGA, he will have top talent. But Richt had talent always too......developing that talent into Champions is the key.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Minkah, Marlon and Tony are all 5*'s, Ronnie was a highly rated 4* that played QB in HS. Averett was a 3* but will be making money this time next year playing football. I think we are OK.
Averett is a junior - you think he's going out early? he's had a great year but I didn't think he'd be looking at the draft already and was kinda hoping at this time next year he'd be helping us compete for another ring...

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
The state of Georgia is always loaded.....if he can keep the majority of them at UGA, he will have top talent. But Richt had talent always too......developing that talent into Champions is the key.
yes, richt had no excuse to have not competed for a championship. georgia hs football puts out as good a talent as anywhere. the good news about smart racking up is that it hurts au moreso than us

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.