Unusual High School Nicknames?

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
With the recent thread about the complaint of the school mascot name at a high school in Lexington, KY., I thought it would be interesting to list unusual mascot names of high schools in the United States. I had this on here several years ago but could not find it to bring it back to the top, so I am starting a new thread. Please do not make up names.

I'll start with 2 schools near me that are different:

1. Poca, W.V. mascot The Dots

2. South Webster, OH. mascot the Jeeps (from the cartoon Popeye not the automobile)

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
A buddy of mine went to high school in Rhode Island, and his high school's nickname was the "Wyverns," which I thought was cool. He said the PTBs later changed the name because no one seemed to know what a wyvern is. (It's a type of dragon.) So, now they are the "Hawks," just like hundreds or thousands of other school mascots. Boring!

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Watersmeet, MI. Mascot is Nimrods.

Fun fact: Nimrod was a great hunter in the Bible. In an episode of Looney Tunes, Bugs Bunny referred to Elmer Fudd as "Nimrod" sarcastically, as prior to this the name was associated with great hunters. After this, "Nimrod" became synonymous with 'inept moron'.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.