Link: Calvin Ridley: Offense running "smoother" with Sark

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I wonder how many of these comments will pop up nowto thst he, is gone and how many mayof do as one of our explayers did when talking about an old LB coach. One of them blamed him for not being nfl ready. Cannot remember the coaches name.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Interesting.
Ridley may just be excited now that he believes his targets are going to increase. We still have to be able to execute in game against a talented Tiger defense. Will be very intrigued to watch this game.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I wonder how many of these comments will pop up nowto thst he, is gone and how many mayof do as one of our explayers did when talking about an old LB coach. One of them blamed him for not being nfl ready. Cannot remember the coaches name.
I think it was Adrian Hubbard who blamed Lance Thompson for his draft fall

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wonder if there's any way to churn national sportswriters through English classes before they're turned loose to write English for a national audience? It's not "turn over the reigns," its "turn over the reins," like a horse, dummy, of which Sark now has control...

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I'm excited to hear it, but to be fair, what else is he supposed to say? I believe he's saying that genuinely, but I guarantee you he wouldn't say anything different it if the move was a train wreck,

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I wonder if there's any way to churn national sportswriters through English classes before they're turned loose to write English for a national audience? It's not "turn over the reigns," its "turn over the reins," like a horse, dummy, of which Sark now has control...
Ever cents spell check came along, know one nose how to spell any more.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I read the article, and it got me thinking about something else. I wonder if Ridley threw a shade at Kiffin, and we can't believe what Kiffin said to us about how receivers understand that Hurts isn't where he is mentally and I wonder if Kiffin held Hurts back on purpose. IF USC qb had a great season and is throwing ball well... why cant hurt do the same?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I read the article, and it got me thinking about something else. I wonder if Ridley threw a shade at Kiffin, and we can't believe what Kiffin said to us about how receivers understand that Hurts isn't where he is mentally and I wonder if Kiffin held Hurts back on purpose. IF USC qb had a great season and is throwing ball well... why cant hurt do the same?
What motivation would he have for purposefully doing a bad job?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
how about this: What lack of motivation he would have here at Bama when he was looking for a job at that time... and once he got the job... Lack of focus was noticeable the last few weeks of the season. Hurt regressed...
#1: Football is a "what have you done lately" industry. If Lane wasn't doing well this season his chances of finding a job would have decreased. He's known for his ability to develop QB's, so that would be a mark against him.
#2: Yah he probably was distracted the last few weeks which is why he's gone now but holding Jalen back on purpose still wouldn't make any sense. He has nothing to gain.
You'd have better prospects at asserting that Kiffin wasn't able to develop Hurts well during the season but to say he did so on purpose, implying intent, just doesn't make sense to me.
FWIW, I've heard that there are different plateaus when coaching QB's and it's very difficult to ascend from some plateaus to others in the middle of a season. In part because you aren't able to spend as much time working on theory and other intangibles due to constantly being in the middle of installing a game plan for the next opponent. So Jake Coker had basically absorbed 4 years of college football acumen and knowledge but hadn't had a chance to apply it to the field - once he did, it was only a matter of time before he started exploiting that knowledge when combined with real game experience, hence the marked improvement. Perhaps for Jalen, as smart as he is, there's a finite amount that can be broken down during the season and he leveled off at a certain point. I do think Lane was distracted the past 2 games and Saban has basically admitted that the offense wasn't prepared from a coaching perspective for the Washington game. I just think it's a bridge too far to say he purposefully stunted Jalen's development.

Last edited:

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
What motivation would he have for purposefully doing a bad job?
If you have follow Kiffens career he is one narcissistic human being. As much as he changed the offense philosophy for the better, I dont think he will been well regarded by the Bama nation. I am sure he will publish a tell all book.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
If you have follow Kiffens career he is one narcissistic human being. As much as he changed the offense philosophy for the better, I dont think he will been well regarded by the Bama nation. I am sure he will publish a tell all book.
Yah he's a self serving guy. Which is why it would make no sense for him to torpedo his own QB in a season where he's actively looking for employment elsewhere. Now after he found his new job I can see him going lax on his Bama duties, but I personally don't buy that he purposefully stunted Jalen. He had everything to gain from Jalen being successful, and Lane Kiffin is in the business of helping out Lane Kiffin - except when he opens his mouth.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you have follow Kiffens career he is one narcissistic human being. .
So was Jimmie Johnson, Jim Harbaugh, and Gus malzhan. Difference is all of them had employers that either spoke their language, or didn't care what language was being spoken on the other end. Kiffin never has had that luxury. Kiffin's tenure at USC is not as near as bad people make it out to be.

As much as he changed the offense philosophy for the better, I dont think he will been well regarded by the Bama nation. .
Really depends on what he says or does against Alabama in the future. I have my doubts that he says anything further about it because Al Davis publicly berated him after firing him, and Lane hardly fired back at him. If he does the same then I think Bama fans will probably have a positive interpretation of him as a coach.

I am sure he will publish a tell all book.
Doubtful. If lane Kiffin wants to have everything out in the open he isn't going to use the pen when the iphone and microphone makes it way more epic.

as for the actual topic....

I seem to think Sark will tell Jalen where to throw instead of making him read the field as much, pretty much I expect him to make an easier gameplan for Jalen while keeping it effective for this particular oppenent

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I'm excited to hear it, but to be fair, what else is he supposed to say? I believe he's saying that genuinely, but I guarantee you he wouldn't say anything different it if the move was a train wreck,
Exactly. I wouldn't expect anything except reasonably good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
Did the SEC pull Jalen's Offensive Player of the Year Award back? If I recall, he's the first true freshman to win that since that Walker kid from Wrightsville, Ga did it, oh about 36 years ago or so. Oh yeah, think that's the third year in a row that a young man wearing a Bama jersey has picked up that particular hardware. I know from personal experience how hard it is to focus on one job while you know you are moving to the next so I'm going to cut LK some slack and say thanks for being here and good luck in Boca Raton. Roll Tide.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.