Shooting at Ft Lauderdale Airport - 5 Dead (so far)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...shooting-Ft-Lauderdale-Hollywood-Airport.html

A shooting has occurred at the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport in Florida
Sources tell DailyMail.com that five have been killed and another six injured
The lone gunman is reportedly in custody
Video from the airport showed hundreds of passengers gathered in a huddle on the tarmac
The airport said the incident happened in the baggage area of Terminal 2
Ft.Lauderdale-Hollywood is one of the 25 busiest airports in America

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
It gets even weirder. Apparently, the shooter walked into the FBI office in Anchorage, AK a few months ago claiming the CIA was forcing him to join ISIS.

Strange...

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...ntiago-who-was-fort-lauderdale-409914655.html
They say a few months ago, he walked into the FBI's office in Anchorage, Alaska, claiming that the CIA was forcing him to join ISIS. Officials say local police were called, and he went voluntarily to a mental health facility for treatment.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
One thing a lot of shooters have in common lately is that they are mentally unhealthy. I wish that there was a way to put people getting mental health treatment to temporarily be put on a "do not sell and cannot possess" list.
How to get someone on this list is the rub. It wouldn't be a nanosecond before some divorcing wife would refer his ex-husband to the list even though the ex was not insane, just to screw with him. Or two neighbors having a boundary dispute, or one party declaring every member of the other party insane, or whatever. The guy at Sandy Hook should not have had guns in his house without a gun lock. This ignoramus in Ft. Lauderdale should have, at least temporarily, not had access to guns.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
One thing a lot of shooters have in common lately is that they are mentally unhealthy. I wish that there was a way to put people getting mental health treatment to temporarily be put on a "do not sell and cannot possess" list.
How to get someone on this list is the rub. It wouldn't be a nanosecond before some divorcing wife would refer his ex-husband to the list even though the ex was not insane, just to screw with him. Or two neighbors having a boundary dispute, or one party declaring every member of the other party insane, or whatever. The guy at Sandy Hook should not have had guns in his house without a gun lock. This ignoramus in Ft. Lauderdale should have, at least temporarily, not had access to guns.
I've proposed this before. The big problem with most lists is lack of due process. The simple way to do this is to allow health professionals to place a 48-72 hour emergency "hold" if needed on a dangerous pt or to allow anyone to petition the court. After the hold is placed a hearing must take place within a specified period of time. The pt would be evaluated by a court appointed psychiatrist and would have the right to due process, including introduction of evidence and his own expert witness/examiner. The burden would be on the state to prove the person is not mentally capable of possessing a weapon. It would not ever remove all weapons from dangerous persons but it would provide some public defense and it would take due process to remove the right and not the whim of any one person and would not rely on the political agenda that would mar a list without due process. Of course, the right to appeal and expunge would exist as well.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Still quite early, but it's sounding like he may have had at least a touch of a schizophrenia. TSA allows you to check firearms and ammunition, and it appears that he retrieved these from baggage claim after landing in FLL.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Still quite early, but it's sounding like he may have had at least a touch of a schizophrenia. TSA allows you to check firearms and ammunition, and it appears that he retrieved these from baggage claim after landing in FLL.
Yeah.....this is a challenge because extra security wouldn't have helped. The gun and ammo was already in the airport. In his bags.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So they should have confiscated his guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
So they should have confiscated his guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His? I think conclusively we can say absolutely this particular guy shouldn't have been able to get a weapon. I mean is that even under debate?

The problem is how do you create a program that keeps everyone like this from weapons while not stepping on the rights of thousands of others and I don't think you can.

What I know we need to do is fix mental health in this country. Both for VA and regular citizens.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The gun was taken from his baggage in an unsecured area of the airport. Anyone can carry a gun into luggage areas at most airports so the fact that he transported his gun in his checked baggage doesn't really mean much. The guy could have picked any location to do the shooting but it does seem special to the public when done at an airport.

I don't know if this part of FLL is restricted from concealed carry but it is an area that contains mostly air travellers so the likelihood of armed citizens is low. Sounds like it was very quick; he fired enough to empty his magazines and then quit.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.