Swinney's interaction with his players as they entered...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
was very uneven, I thought. Some of the players he greeted warmly and they returned the greeting. A couple ignored him. With others, they seemed to mutually ignore each other. Of course, I know that a HC is not going to have the same relationship with each player...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Emotional coaches cannot be consistent with everyone on the team. You seldom hear Clemson players talk about Dabo. But the kids from Bama always talk about Coach Saban.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
The QB Watson certainly speaks very affectionately about Dabo, as did other Clemson players. And I have to say Dabo is very well spoken, much more so than most coaches. I'm not partial to his style or privy to all he was while at Bama but he is impressive to listen to. He has his hands around everything and can speak not only to Clemson's approach but that of any opponents. I think he has to be considered a top ten coach among current coaches, which is quite an accomplishment. I feel like they will be very prepared for Monday night. What always gives me confidence (and every bama fan) is CS doesn't give near the details someone like Dabo goes into, but you know he has gone into the details and is more prepared than the other side of the field.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think he has to be considered a top ten coach among current coaches, which is quite an accomplishment.
Without question - he's currently ranked ninth in winning percentage as HC (.757) - directly behind CNS (.776 - although CNS has winning percentage of .868 while at Bama)...

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Dabo is hard to figure out. He's almost a comic book type caricature, but other coaches seem to respect him. He jumps around and hollers and cheerleads more than he coaches, but he wins (if you watch him on the sidelines he rarely wears a headset and seems to leave much of the play-to-play coaching to his assistants). He tends to speak in long strings of overused sports cliche's and his press conferences can ramble on for up to an hour, but the media almost always writes glowing articles about him. If you believe local HS coaches and a few recruits he uses pretty harsh negative recruiting tactics (that part is hearsay, so treat it as such), but he's consistently labeled as one of the top recruiters in the nation. He consistently tries to convince juniors who are draft eligible and projected to go in top 3 rounds that they would be better suited to come back their senior season when it is really not in their best interest to do so, but he's seen as a player's coach.

Little Dabo does should be working, but it does, so I've given up explaining it. I guess at the end of the day he's an outstanding recruiter and he hires top notch assistants and has paid them well enough to keep stability on his staff. That's why he wins IMO. I also think he sells his poor background really well to kids from similar backgrounds, much like Bear did (y'all should ban me from the board for comparing Dabo to Bear, but in this case it fits). He's done really well recruiting-wise with kids without fathers in the picture, and I think he brings a special ability to relate well to them and they cling to that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Dabo has established himself as one of the best coaches in the country over the last few years. Watson is a once in a lifetime type signing for a head coach, but Swinney was winning 10+ before he had Watson as a starter.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Emotional coaches cannot be consistent with everyone on the team. You seldom hear Clemson players talk about Dabo. But the kids from Bama always talk about Coach Saban.
I think Coach Saban and AJ had a special relationship. I remember hearing when AJ would go through his reps as a freshman that one of the GAs would call him to let him know, Coach Saban would watch him, and when the other QBs went through their reps, he went back to doing whatever he was doing.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I think Dabo has established himself as one of the best coaches in the country over the last few years. Watson is a once in a lifetime type signing for a head coach, but Swinney was winning 10+ before he had Watson as a starter.
It's just hard to dispute this anymore. Absent NCAA or other issues, winning = successful coaching.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Dabo is hard to figure out. He's almost a comic book type caricature, but other coaches seem to respect him. He jumps around and hollers and cheerleads more than he coaches, but he wins (if you watch him on the sidelines he rarely wears a headset and seems to leave much of the play-to-play coaching to his assistants). He tends to speak in long strings of overused sports cliche's and his press conferences can ramble on for up to an hour, but the media almost always writes glowing articles about him. If you believe local HS coaches and a few recruits he uses pretty harsh negative recruiting tactics (that part is hearsay, so treat it as such), but he's consistently labeled as one of the top recruiters in the nation. He consistently tries to convince juniors who are draft eligible and projected to go in top 3 rounds that they would be better suited to come back their senior season when it is really not in their best interest to do so, but he's seen as a player's coach.
Written like a true South Carolina fan :wink:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think Coach Saban and AJ had a special relationship. I remember hearing when AJ would go through his reps as a freshman that one of the GAs would call him to let him know, Coach Saban would watch him, and when the other QBs went through their reps, he went back to doing whatever he was doing.
Coach said once that AJ was the best QB he'd ever recruited...

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Back in my younger days, I played a lot of pickup basketball. I always thought you could see a fair amount of a guy's character come through on the court - is he honest, does he point fingers at others, how does he handle adversity...and success ? Probably about 1999 or 2000, Dabo and I played in the same morning group and I thought he was a stand up guy then. That's not to discount anyone else's experience with him, just my take.

His enthusiasm is not my cup of tea as a HC. I don't recall him being that effusive on the court.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The QB Watson certainly speaks very affectionately about Dabo, as did other Clemson players. And I have to say Dabo is very well spoken, much more so than most coaches. I'm not partial to his style or privy to all he was while at Bama but he is impressive to listen to. He has his hands around everything and can speak not only to Clemson's approach but that of any opponents. I think he has to be considered a top ten coach among current coaches, which is quite an accomplishment. I feel like they will be very prepared for Monday night. What always gives me confidence (and every bama fan) is CS doesn't give near the details someone like Dabo goes into, but you know he has gone into the details and is more prepared than the other side of the field.
I agree and am proud of Dabo as a fellow Bama grad, but he sure catches a lot of grief from some on the board. He is quite a bit younger than Coach Saban and probably still has some lessons to learn, but I think he has shown that he knows how to run a college football program in a clean and successful way.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
And the guy can flat out recruit. I think he talks too much at times, especially in on-field interviews post-game, but you can't deny he's pretty doggone good at what he does.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I was watching sportscenter yesterday while they were commentating Bama's arrival to Tampa. Finebaum was being interviewed, and he was very complementary of Dabo. He even went so far to say that if Coach Saban retired on Tuesday that Dabo would be our #1 target and it wouldn't be close.

While I have a lot of respect for Dabo, I wonder how much truth there is to that? Seems like the people closest to the program are the ones who have the least respect for him. We also technically did fire him back in 2000. So I'd be very interested to know the level of interest there would be from both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I was watching sportscenter yesterday while they were commentating Bama's arrival to Tampa. Finebaum was being interviewed, and he was very complementary of Dabo. He even went so far to say that if Coach Saban retired on Tuesday that Dabo would be our #1 target and it wouldn't be close.

While I have a lot of respect for Dabo, I wonder how much truth there is to that? Seems like the people closest to the program are the ones who have the least respect for him. We also technically did fire him back in 2000. So I'd be very interested to know the level of interest there would be from both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be surprised if he were not in the conversation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.