QB and Center Communication/Snap Signal

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know we were a mess in the game against Washington and I know that's been addressed.

But, I'm wondering why we've changed the way we signal a snap when the QB is in the pistol formation.

I can't remember when the change occurred but I know the QB used to "lift a foot" and now he "claps."

At least once against Washington, JH kept clapping and the center never heard him and didn't snap the ball. When the Center turned around I read his lips and he said, "I can't hear you."

So why the change?

Seems the "lifting foot" signal would work better in noisy situations anyway.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
I remember a Washington play where the center snapped early and the announcers said and replay showed a Bama player on the defensive line clapping once but it wasn't clear to me if it was intentional to mess up the play.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saban said afterward that Alabama had not anticipated the crowd noise and had to change during the game. Apparently they did not practice for this during the week. I assume that you will practice/prepare for high crowd noise this week.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Saban said afterward that Alabama had not anticipated the crowd noise and had to change during the game. Apparently they did not practice for this during the week. I assume that you will practice/prepare for high crowd noise this week.
The Washington crowd noise was more than expected, kudos to their fans for that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I remember a Washington play where the center snapped early and the announcers said and replay showed a Bama player on the defensive line clapping once but it wasn't clear to me if it was intentional to mess up the play.
I watched that a couple of times. I think it was accidental. He seemed to saying "Let's go!"

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm just wondering why we went away from the other method...that takes the crowd noise out of it all together. Seems as though JH has done the clap all season long. IIRC, JC, last year, used his foot.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
If the center is watching for the foot his head is down which makes making his calls and checks hard then lifts his head up and finally snaps the ball. That's why some teams have the guard looking back who taps the center when Qb is ready.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The Washington crowd noise was more than expected, kudos to their fans for that.
Fans in the state of Washington get it apparently. I was still surprised by the amount of noise they made considering how outnumbered they were, but clearly they understand their role in terms of impacting the game. They're not just spectators...

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I watched that a couple of times. I think it was accidental. He seemed to saying "Let's go!"
Even if the clap was purposeful I'd say it falls more into the category of gamesmanship. There was no personal foul or risk of injury but just a heady way to take advantage of a gap in their snap count protocol. IMO it shouldn't be a penalty. Communication is key in football and defenses should have the latitude to disrupt the offenses method of communication as long as they are on their side of the LOS. What I think makes it acceptable is there are ways for the offense to counter that disruption. It's not like a holding penalty where there's really nothing you can do about it. When operating out the gun you have a certain variety of snap counts available to you and the defense knows that. The same goes for operating under center. I don't have a beef with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamadws56

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2005
Fort Benning, GA
Even if the clap was purposeful I'd say it falls more into the category of gamesmanship. There was no personal foul or risk of injury but just a heady way to take advantage of a gap in their snap count protocol. IMO it shouldn't be a penalty. Communication is key in football and defenses should have the latitude to disrupt the offenses method of communication as long as they are on their side of the LOS. What I think makes it acceptable is there are ways for the offense to counter that disruption. It's not like a holding penalty where there's really nothing you can do about it. When operating out the gun you have a certain variety of snap counts available to you and the defense knows that. The same goes for operating under center. I don't have a beef with it.

It was intentional as heck and a great play. No different than a QB using a hard snap count trying to get the defensive players to jump offsides. Great play by a veteran senior (even if it is bending or pushing the rules).

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I do not like the clap because a defensive player can look at QBs hands moving and try to anticipate snap. They need come up with a better way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It was intentional as heck and a great play. No different than a QB using a hard snap count trying to get the defensive players to jump offsides. Great play by a veteran senior (even if it is bending or pushing the rules).
I'm not sure, but I believe that a defensive player deliberately simulating the offensive snap count is a penalty.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I'm not sure, but I believe that a defensive player deliberately simulating the offensive snap count is a penalty.
I believe you're correct. If I'm not mistaken, it's considered a "delay of game," 5 yards, automatic first down.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

That may be your feeling, but it's supposed to have been a penalty. We just got away with it, probably because no official heard it and realized it came from our side...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yea I think it was on purpose too and yes it should have been a penalty, but not sure if Anderson was just lucky or timed it perfectly.

I told one of my friends I would have defensive signals where the LB does some kind of clap just to mess with the offense. If they can clap for the snap, why can't a LB'er clap to call a certain defensive play call?:biggrin:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It has always been a penalty for the defense to call the snap count. NCAA "clarified" the rule last year to include clapping if that is what the opponent is using to call for the snap.

Same thought process that keeps QBs from drawing the defense offside. I agree with them. Beat the other team, don't "trick" the other team.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If the center is watching for the foot his head is down which makes making his calls and checks hard then lifts his head up and finally snaps the ball. That's why some teams have the guard looking back who taps the center when Qb is ready.
AJ never had a problem with it...or his centers. The center making the line calls is usually done as soon as they get to the LOS I think so by that point he ought to be able to know the qb is ready using the foot signal.

I think the center may have the ability to hesitate...maybe even audible on the line count if he needs to. Sometimes you'd see AJ lift his foot and then it seemed an audible was called by him or the center and then he'd lift his foot again and finally the center would snap it when he was ready.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.