Tide Fans' Experiences in Tampa

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
We were over at the convention center earlier. Saw tons of Clemson fans. We are now at Tampa Pete's. Not a real bad deal at all. Mac and cheese is awesome along with the BBQ sandwiched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Am in Orlando, as is B1G, and thus far, have seen nothing but orange...

Mind you, the folks I've spoken with around the resort say they're pulling for the Tide, but if what I've seen around town is any indication, the Clemson fan base will be making a strong showing...

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
As a Tampa native, I can say that you should go to Bern's and the Columbia, but you should also go into a a local Cuban or Puerto Rican market with counter service food and get some roast pork, yellow rice with black beans, and plaintains. A real Tampa Cuban or media noche with a stuffed potato is a great choice as well. If someplace has smoked mullet, get some of that, too.
Boy!!! You hit all of my soft spots with this post. Living in Tampa in the 1940's when I was growing up, the family often ate in Ybor City at the Las Novidades and the Columbia restaurants or had "street food" at the so-called sandwich shops that catered mostly to the workers from the cigar factories. I realgrew up on Black Bean Soup, Media Noches, Bollitos, and felt like a real grown-up when served Cafe con Leche. As for smoked mullet, we lived over at Indian Rocks Beach in the summer and that was a staple, eaten within an hour of the time it came out of Ross John's smokehouse. Good times indeed!

Last edited:

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
.....the Clemson fan base will be making a strong showing...
We took a day trip up to Ocala today to visit a dear old friend. I-75 southbound was full of Clemson vehicles. They are making a strong showing.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Speaking of more Clemson fans..wasn't it like that last year? BTDT.
I think they outnumbered us in the stadium about 60-40, 55-45, or something like that. But I saw far more of them around Phoenix than I did Bama fans. So, tomorrow will be interesting.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Am in Orlando, as is B1G, and thus far, have seen nothing but orange...

Mind you, the folks I've spoken with around the resort say they're pulling for the Tide, but if what I've seen around town is any indication, the Clemson fan base will be making a strong showing...
I wore an Alabama tech shirt when I ran the WDW 10k on Friday and got hundreds of "Roll Tide" call outs during the race. But in the parks, it has been pretty orange.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Got a text from some friends eating at Frenchy's Rockaway on Clearwater Beach. They sat near a Clemson fan who said if they played at 80%, they we'd kill us.

I replied, "Nouveau riche. They've never been there. Let them talk."

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Got a text from some friends eating at Frenchy's Rockaway on Clearwater Beach. They sat near a Clemson fan who said if they played at 80%, they we'd kill us.

I replied, "Nouveau riche. They've never been there. Let them talk."

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I think they outnumbered us in the stadium about 60-40, 55-45, or something like that. But I saw far more of them around Phoenix than I did Bama fans. So, tomorrow will be interesting.

I've always heard that Clemson fans travel well to bowl games, so Bama people get your act in gear!

Don't let that version of the multitude of tigers "out LOUD" you!

RTR!!!!!!!

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
We were over at the convention center earlier. Saw tons of Clemson fans. We are now at Tampa Pete's. Not a real bad deal at all. Mac and cheese is awesome along with the BBQ sandwiched.

I just left there. Damn, could've said hello to another tide fan

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I've always heard that Clemson fans travel well to bowl games, so Bama people get your act in gear!

Don't let that version of the multitude of tigers "out LOUD" you!

RTR!!!!!!!
If bama fans didn't show this year.....dang.

Last year I heard lots of people say the trip to Arizona was too far and that they were saving for the USC game to start the year.

Well, that's come, gone, and here we are.

I know, this is getting a bit expensive, but all I can think of is how one day, we as fans will long for the days of national championship games.

One day, possibly in the not too distant future, we'll have to reminisce around the computer or tv (or hologramaphone) about the incredible run and incredible coach we had at Bama. I hope that we the fans have not become so spoiled that we don't put up a good showing at was has been one of (if not the) closest national championship Bama has played in.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Last year I heard lots of people say the trip to Arizona was too far and that they were saving for the USC game to start the year.

I know, this is getting a bit expensive, but all I can think of is how one day, we as fans will long for the days of national championship games.

One day, possibly in the not too distant future, we'll have to reminisce around the computer or tv (or hologramaphone) about the incredible run and incredible coach we had at Bama. I hope that we the fans have not become so spoiled that we don't put up a good showing at was has been one of (if not the) closest national championship Bama has played in.
I agree! When I tune into the Longhorn Network accidentally, quite often when I'm flipping through ALL the ESPN channels, what I see is a fan base living in the past. The Vince Young past. There's no telling how many times I have seen that Texas vs USC game replayed. They repeatedly show that Arkansas vs Texas game, I think it was a 15 to 14 comeback by the horns. I just sit and think. What have you done lately?

We who lived through the Coach Bryant era, the Coach Stallings micro-mini era, and now the Coach Saban era, are very lucky. These times don't last forever. I do feel lucky to be alive at this time to witness greatness.

Last edited by a moderator:

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

Last year I heard lots of people say the trip to Arizona was too far and that they were saving for the USC game to start the year. .[/B]
I

We who lived through the Coach Bryant era, the Coach Stallings micro-mini era, and now the Coach Saban era, are very lucky. These times don't last forever. I do feel lucky to be alive at this time to witness greatness.

I read a quote once that I think sums up so much regarding this time.. It went something like this.....

"I feel like we're in a rare moment in history where watching Nick Saban, your actually aware of the greatness of this run as it's happening."

JPaikman

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 16, 2015
San Mateo, CA
After huge headaches in San Francisco, I'm now sitting in San Jose waiting to take the redeye. I am determined to make it to Tampa; however, like many, I'm very pessimistic about the ticket situation. Likely to watching from a bar with friends instead :-(.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I agree! When I tune into the Longhorn Network accidentally, quite often when I'm flipping through ALL the ESPN channels, what I see is a fan base living in the past. The Vince Young past. There's no telling how many times I have seen that Texas vs USC game replayed. They repeatedly show that Arkansas vs Texas game, I think it was a 15 to 14 comeback by the horns. I just sit and think. What have you done lately?

Count me in on this! It has truly been one of the special things in my lifetime.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.