News Article: 38 days: How alabama pulled off the great heist of nick saban

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
SIAP but I just came across this article that shows the details of The 38 Days:

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/al...inside-story-of-how-alabama-hired-nick-saban/

It seemed that the stars perfectly aligned for Saban to come to Alabama. It was a Series of Fortunate Events. But for just a moment, consider:

What if Dennis Franchione hadn’t jumped ship for Texas A&M in 2002?

What if Mike Price hadn’t bungled his opportunity as the coach at Alabama?

What if Tim Tebow had signed with Alabama and not Florida?

What if Saban had signed Drew Brees and not Daunte Culpepper as a free agent in the spring of 2005?

What if Mike Shula had beaten Mississippi State and Auburn in 2006?

What if Rich Rodriguez had stayed true to his verbal agreement?

In procuring Saban, Alabama pulled off a football heist of Lufthansa proportions. And even the most spoiled of Alabama fans would have to admit that what Saban has done over the past decade has exceeded the hardiest of expectations.

“I think Mal’s personality, his background in football and coaching, these were his defining personality characteristics that helped sell Saban,” Townsend told SDS. “Saban developed great trust in Mal.”
:BigA:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: How Mal Moore hired Nick Saban

I've not read all of it yet. If it's accurate, it will be the first accurate account I've read in the press...

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL

I read this all the way through. It is fascinating. It certainly has a ring of truth. Good read. Roll Tide and looking forward to tomorrow night and the next 10 years... :cool2:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

A terrific read. I still have Mal's book on my "to read" list, I guess I should move it nearer the top. Thanks Mal, and Coach.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

Really good read ... thanks! Probably as close to the truth as we will ever know given Mal is gone and the Sabans are not prone to blabbing their personal business.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Can a case be made that Mal deserves a statue of his own somewhere on campus?
President Witt as well..He was one of the best hires ever made at Alabama..President Witt was behind Mal Moore & Coach Saban supporting them both as "The Process" took over..

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Most of that info is in Mal's book "Crimson Heart". I enjoyed Mrs. Terry's input in the article. People may never know what she and Mal talked about that day and what he did to sell her on Tuscaloosa.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
It took the stars, planets, moon, all the galaxies, etc. to totally align for this to actually happen.

Thank YOU, Coach Mal Moore, for your patience and persistence. No other athletic director could have made this
happen.

His total experience as a player, and coach at Alabama, coach at Notre Dame, etc. helped to prepare him for this.
When you fail at things, persistence pays off big time and it did for Mal Moore. I saw him prior to a game at
Bryant-Denny Stadium while he was on a golf cart. He just seemed so friendly. I used to love hearing him talk when being interviewed
or at celebrations of another NC.

I think Bill Battle was the right choice to replace this GOOD man.

Thank you Coach Saban for making the Alabama Crimson Tide RELEVANT again after those down years!

Good luck Coach Saban and the Alabama Crimson Tide tomorrow night against those Clemson tigers. Hopefully,
we'll all be singing that SPECIAL song at the end of the game tomorrow night!

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL

President Witt as well..He was one of the best hires ever made at Alabama..President Witt was behind Mal Moore & Coach Saban supporting them both as "The Process" took over..
Yes, I hope people don't forget how important Dr. Witt was in not just landing Saban, but allowing Saban to grow and build the program the way he saw fit. Too many other Presidents are "dabblers" and don't understand how important the Athletic program is for monetary AND pure academic reasons. Enrollment, and requested applications, have been on the rise ever since.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Crimson Heart and Alan Berra's book should be required reading for all Bama fans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.