The Boston Globe: Death Throes of a Newspaper

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Okay, I just read this column and laughed from beginning to end. It's a humorous piece about changes at The Boston Globe; but it's also a commentary about the challenges that traditional newspapers face and the leftist arc of most major news outlets. Anyway, I hope you find this column as humorous as I did, and maybe there's a bit to discuss as well.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/co.../01/carr_globe_gobbledygook_memo_ominous_sign

Like Chipotle, the Cleveland Browns and the Democratic Party, the bust-out Boston Globe is trying to “reinvent” itself.

In a memo to his decimated staff this week, editor Brian McGrory says the Globe will no longer be the “paper of record” (as if it ever was). Instead, he said, the Globe will be an “organization of interest.”

Sorry, not interested.

McGrory’s memo reads like it was composed by a recent graduate of an ESL program, or perhaps translated from another language, most likely consultantese. Everything is to be interesting, “relentlessly interesting.”
After all these years of printing dreary left wing agitprop, how will the Globe become interesting?

“We’ll set up an Audience Engagement team,” McGrory writes. “We will refine and refine again the Hubs system that was proposed by the Mission working group.”

Yeah, that should bring back the readers all right. The Registry of Motor Vehicles couldn’t have put it any better.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
What's also humorous is that the Glob staff members probably considered the paper to be balanced or "right down the middle" in its editorial slant. What they mean by that is balanced between both the Bolshevik and the Menshevik party positions.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
yeah! let's all cheer the demise of the Globe

because The Globe never did anything good for the people of Boston, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotlight_(film)#Reactions_from_the_Catholic_Church

(the film wiki was the most concise version and accurate enough for my purposes)
I think your point, and the subsequent counter-arguments likely to pop up, are actually overarching debates about the 4th Estate as a whole.
It's likely that some may say that for every "Spotlight" there are a thousand gaffes and 10,000 useless articles. Which is an argument that could be used against the press at large.
I have read the Globe at times and thought, "Oh for God's sake, stop condescending to me!" but few would argue the power of "Spotlight" (I'm just going to call that whole investigative effort by the name of the movie to save time, mk?)
As far as The Globe as an "institution" I could give a crap about it's solvency. I think this argument, on a micro-level is pointing to the bigger discussion being had right now which is how/what use(fulness) is the 4th Estate serving to the general public at this point in time?
Are their triumphs enough to outweigh their perceived lacking? Despite the one outstanding story has the Globe done it's duty to the public on the whole? (I know it has done more than 1 credible story of it's lifespan.)

I'll offer only this. By and large it apears the press has lost the trust of the American public. That much seems to be true, and the Globe is just a recent reflection of a system that has been decaying for quite some time.

News needs a revolution.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
yeah! let's all cheer the demise of the Globe

because The Globe never did anything good for the people of Boston, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotlight_(film)#Reactions_from_the_Catholic_Church

(the film wiki was the most concise version and accurate enough for my purposes)
I never particularly cared for the Globe. Yes, they had a major scoop or two, and yes, they had an expose or two as well. They also had a few scandals involving journalists who made up facts, and were blatant political hacks.

That's not to say you can't mourn for them, however. It's a free country.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Not sure why people hundreds or thousands of miles out of Boston care so much about Boston's newspaper other than as an extension of a general disagreement with their own ridged ideology or their own dislike for facts (and science). :rolleyes:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Not sure why people hundreds or thousands of miles out of Boston care so much about Boston's newspaper other than as an extension of a general disagreement with their own ridged ideology or their own dislike for facts (and science). :rolleyes:

I don't know that I care so much. I do have an opinion. Of course, you may consider my opinion a rigid ideology if you wish. That would be your opinion.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My ideology is not "ridged." No ridges whatsoever in my ideology.

New England in general presents an insufferable mixture of bigotry, malice and cant. If a big earthquake were to swallow New England whole I would not waste a tear for them. I'd just say, "Good riddance" and see who the best AFC team would now be.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.