The "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" Series by Tad Williams

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Has anyone read this series? It apparently inspired George R. R. Martin to write A Song of Ice and Fire.

I've not read this series and was reminded of it when I read this book review:

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/05/507162705/returning-to-a-beloved-series-in-the-heart-of-what-was-lost

It's been 23 years since Tad Williams wrapped up his staggering fantasy saga, Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. Originally planned as a trilogy, it eventually grew to comprise four huge novels and — by Williams' own count — a total of a million words. Shockingly, it became a bestseller, and along with Robert Jordan's vast Wheel of Time series, Williams' books helped pave the way in the '90s for George R. R. Martin's equally ambitious fantasy opus, A Song of Ice and Fire.

At last, Williams has returned to Osten Ard, the quasi-Medieval realm in which Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is set. His new novel, The Heart of What Was Lost, picks up almost precisely where the final chapter (but not the epilogue) of its predecessor, To Green Angel Tower, left off. Nearly a quarter of a century has passed in our world since that book was published, but back in the roughly Tolkien-esque domain of Osten Ard, only a few weeks have transpired. A battle for the fate of creation has been fought; in the aftermath, remnants of two warring armies marshal their forces in the frozen North.

Last edited:

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I read the book about 20 years ago and really enjoyed it. It tends to be higher fantasy than Martin's books, and the characters are quite as nuanced as Tyrion and others; but the world is very rich in imagery and lore. I would definitely recommend the series.

Another author that you all may want to read is Joe Abercrombie. My single favorite fantasy book of all time is "Heroes", but if you read "The First Law" trilogy beforehand, you will have better understanding of some of the characters. His characters tend to have a "Breaking Bad" style flawed mores.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.