Game Thread: Official Post Game Thread - Bama vs. Clemson, Round Two...

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Really proud of how the team picked itself up and rallied after falling behind. I think all of us, if asked beforehand, would have gladly had us with the lead and the defense on the field with two minutes to go. We needed to make one play, but just couldn't get it. Clemson receivers made some tough catches on the night, especially on that final drive. A tip of the cap to Clemson on the victory.

The kicking game for both teams was affected by a steady and stiff wind all night but not sure it was that detrimental. However, coming off the water, it was a really cold wind.

Tampa was the worse prepared city and stadium I've ever been to for an event of this stature. The lines to get into the stadium were long, slow, and utter chaos. No traffic management anywhere near the stadium, they didn't shut down traffic on the main thoroughfares surrounding the stadium (just continued to let the normal traffic lights control traffic flow, was the same for post game traffic), which creating huge hordes of folks trying to get in at once and thus being bottlenecked. Lack of signage and lighting around the exterior of the stadium didn't help either. Piles and piles of trash, beer cans and bottles, and discarded paper products littered the outside of the stadium, and this was hours before the game even started (if you've ever been to Athens for a game you know what I'm talking about). I hope they never give Tampa the event again, but if they do they need a much better/smarter committee to run it.

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
Clemson was ripe to run against w/ Rb's because they were as aggressive if not more as they had been all year. I believe most of our big run began between the tackles. Sark called a pretty good game but showed a lack of confidence in the other backs.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
It will be interesting to see how Clemson does next year without Watson. No doubt he was a huge difference maker but Clemson will not be the same without him.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You're never the same when you lose a QB like that guy. They'll likely still be a very good program and a thorn in FSU's side for a long while under Dabo.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You're never the same when you lose a QB like that guy. They'll likely still be a very good program and a thorn in FSU's side for a long while under Dabo.
Their defense figures to be the best in the ACC next year, but their offensive turnover will probably cost them.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Hi guys. Took the day off work today. I had planned on staying up late celebrating and sleeping all day. Buuuut you know how it went. So many thoughts about last night. Won't dare bore you with typing thoughts that many of you have probably already shared. I'll just say this:

Hat tip to Ben Boulware for knowing our offensive plays better than we did. He was calling out our plays and getting to the point of attack before the intended ball carrier.

That said, that was the main glaring difference between a true freshman QB and a 3rd year starter/significant contributor at QB. Jalen saw Boulware doing these things and ran the play anyway. Watson saw things he didn't like and checked out of it.

And even with all that, I still feel like we were the better team. Any number of things not Bo related could have tipped it on our favor (OJ not robbing Harris of a perfectly called screen pass, Deiter catching a 3rd down pass, getting more than 3 points off of turnovers in plus territory).

I had hoped that Jalen's TD run was his Daniel Moore painting. And while it's easy to say "he'll get another shot at it", one never knows what the future holds. Can't take these types of things for granted. I read an article on ESPN/The Undefeated bridging Walter Lewis to Jalen just before kickoff yesterday and admittedly got a little more emotional than I normally am before a game. And trust me, to me, him leading this team to a championship would have meant a LOT to a LOT of people. But one can only hope that he further develops as a signal caller and leads the team on to bigger and better.

Many thanks to those departing. There are some big shoes to fill and a lot of production to replace.

But alas, on to next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
I see too much gnashing of teeth for my taste. Pick plays, play calling , this one's fault, that one's fault.

If we had stopped one screen or slant on the two pick play drives, those plays never happen.
If we had executed a few of those plays that were called, caught one or two passes, made one or two blocks, one or two less penalties ...
If Clemson had not whipped us dang near most of the night on both sides of the ball ... or any of these things, we would be celebrating #17.

They were better than us last night ... bottom line. We got whipped. Winning with class is easy and you have to lose one now and then to scrape off the bandwagon barners. Congratulations to Clemson the National Champions. Odds are good they won't see another for 30 more years (again.) At least it wasn't the barn (did not participate), Meyer (31-0) or Hairball (did not participate).

My team is 14-1 with a bright immediate future and the best coach in the game. I am proud of these guys. I can live with that. Roll Tide!
We didn't get whipped. Getting whipped is 31-0. Bama lost by 4. And I don't mind losing if it's a fairly called game. Call a spade a spade...those were illegal picks that yielded 14 points to Clemson. Congrats the refs didn't call it.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I see too much gnashing of teeth for my taste. Pick plays, play calling , this one's fault, that one's fault.

If we had stopped one screen or slant on the two pick play drives, those plays never happen.
If we had executed a few of those plays that were called, caught one or two passes, made one or two blocks, one or two less penalties ...
If Clemson had not whipped us dang near most of the night on both sides of the ball ... or any of these things, we would be celebrating #17.

They were better than us last night ... bottom line. We got whipped. Winning with class is easy and you have to lose one now and then to scrape off the bandwagon barners. Congratulations to Clemson the National Champions. Odds are good they won't see another for 30 more years (again.) At least it wasn't the barn (did not participate), Meyer (31-0) or Hairball (did not participate).

My team is 14-1 with a bright immediate future and the best coach in the game. I am proud of these guys. I can live with that. Roll Tide!
I don't think it's a lack of class to discuss the what ifs of the game. We are not doing anything different than what the players are doing now. It's just part of the grieving process for some of us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Hi guys. Took the day off work today. I had planned on staying up late celebrating and sleeping all day. Buuuut you know how it went. So many thoughts about last night. Won't dare bore you with typing thoughts that many of you have probably already shared. I'll just say this:

Hat tip to Ben Boulware for knowing our offensive plays better than we did. He was calling out our plays and getting to the point of attack before the intended ball carrier.

That said, that was the main glaring difference between a true freshman QB and a 3rd year starter/significant contributor at QB. Jalen saw Boulware doing these things and ran the play anyway. Watson saw things he didn't like and checked out of it.

And even with all that, I still feel like we were the better team. Any number of things not Bo related could have tipped it on our favor (OJ not robbing Harris of a perfectly called screen pass, Deiter catching a 3rd down pass, getting more than 3 points off of turnovers in plus territory).

I had hoped that Jalen's TD run was his Daniel Moore painting. And while it's easy to say "he'll get another shot at it", one never knows what the future holds. Can't take these types of things for granted. I read an article on ESPN/The Undefeated bridging Walter Lewis to Jalen just before kickoff yesterday and admittedly got a little more emotional than I normally am before a game. And trust me, to me, him leading this team to a championship would have meant a LOT to a LOT of people. But one can only hope that he further develops as a signal caller and leads the team on to bigger and better.

Many thanks to those departing. There are some big shoes to fill and a lot of production to replace.

But alas, on to next year.

On the drive home, my dad and I went through the second half sequence and we came to the conclusion that literally one more first down would have pushed the game our way. Really reminds me of our inability to get one yard against auburn in 2013 on 2 separate chances.

Scott was having to catch Mazza's snaps about a foot off the ground each time throwing off Scott's timing. About 50 feet off the ground the wind was swirling in all directions because the concourse is open air to the outside of the stadium.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
was a great year!! we are not going to win them all. And this wont be the last loss. Also, i didnt want to predict a loss but i honestly didnt see how we could win this game. Clemson is our worst matchup possible. We do not matchup against them at all. Any other team and it's not close. The defense was so tired. IIRC Scott had 10 punts. That equals the defense on the field all game running around chasing Watson. I'd like to see improvement with our KR game. We have guys who are great in the open field and can burn it. My only disappointment is our passing game. It's been on the decline throughout the season. Jalen at this point cant see the field well at all. Hope he gets better because i love his poise and running ability. Stewart had by far the best throw of the night. Not suppose to be that way. This was the toughest loss by far for me ever because my little 7 year old daughter broke down in tears after hearing the score this morning. Hopefully we can get back and win another for her because it's not always going to be like this..

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Really proud of how the team picked itself up and rallied after falling behind. I think all of us, if asked beforehand, would have gladly had us with the lead and the defense on the field with two minutes to go. We needed to make one play, but just couldn't get it. Clemson receivers made some tough catches on the night, especially on that final drive. A tip of the cap to Clemson on the victory.

The kicking game for both teams was affected by a steady and stiff wind all night but not sure it was that detrimental. However, coming off the water, it was a really cold wind.

Tampa was the worse prepared city and stadium I've ever been to for an event of this stature. The lines to get into the stadium were long, slow, and utter chaos. No traffic management anywhere near the stadium, they didn't shut down traffic on the main thoroughfares surrounding the stadium (just continued to let the normal traffic lights control traffic flow, was the same for post game traffic), which creating huge hordes of folks trying to get in at once and thus being bottlenecked. Lack of signage and lighting around the exterior of the stadium didn't help either. Piles and piles of trash, beer cans and bottles, and discarded paper products littered the outside of the stadium, and this was hours before the game even started (if you've ever been to Athens for a game you know what I'm talking about). I hope they never give Tampa the event again, but if they do they need a much better/smarter committee to run it.
So true, this venue sucked big time. We were sitting in the make shift stands. Our concession area had combo smell of raw sewage, hot dogs, and popcorn. Fans were literally running through this area to avoid the smell. And judging from the signage you would have thought you were at a Bucs game. This really needs to be in a dome rotated between Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, and Glendale.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
So true, this venue sucked big time. We were sitting in the make shift stands. Our concession area had combo smell of raw sewage, hot dogs, and popcorn. Fans were literally running through this area to avoid the smell. And judging from the signage you would have thought you were at a Bucs game. This really needs to be in a dome rotated between Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, and Glendale.

So just like Baton Rouge then?

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Clemson ran 99 plays against our defense. That is entirely the offenses fault and the reason they scored 35 points. 99 plays is absolutely absurd.
Have to disagree with you on this. While the offense could have helped by holding onto the ball with more first downs, the offense didn't let Clemson pick up 31 first downs, nor let them run 99 plays. That is squarely on the defense and their inability to get off the field on 3rd down, or get the next series to a 3rd down after allowing a first down. Would they have been less gassed if the O had more first downs, yep. Would they have been less gassed if they had held Clemson to more 3 and outs (only 3 all night and only 1 in the 2nd half), yep. Clemson had some long TD drives: 87, 72, 88, and 68. Even the kicking game had issues: a poor punt and spotty KO coverage. - especially after our last touchdown. The point being, there is plenty more both sides could have done, so let's not place the blame on only one unit.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Did seem like both teams were kicking short at times and then kicking deep on other tries. If I decide to rewatch the game, I might pay attention to that to see if it was the same direction for both teams.

They really need to reevaluate how they do the championship game. Can't put new sod on a field and expect it to be perfect in a week.
AG kickoffs were short even with the wind at his back. We noted it from our seats.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.