A bit of love for Jalen Hurts for his efforts ...

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Unless something changes, he is the QB coach. I don't think an OC/QB coach can spend mega hours on mechanics, etc. That's when the offseason QB guru comes in. He has the time to concentrate on mechanics and the like. It's not just the deep passes. Several short passes which were dropped last night were launched with Freddy Kitchenesque velocity. You don't want to place your receivers in fear of broken fingers. He's shown touch before, so I'm assuming that it was big game nerves, even if it doesn't show in his demeanor...
True ... you can tell in the first half that it really seemed like he was playing in a way to not make a mistake. Kinda felt the same way about Watson as well though. You can tell before Clemson's first score that Watson played like he could tell that Bama's D was as good as advertised.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
People forget that Hurts is a true Freshman. He'll get better. A LOT better and that is scary to think about.
I don't think people forget that he was a true freshmen. This is a constant reminder every time someone points to the inability for this year's team to throw the ball downfield. It doesn't matter what his experience was when looking at the strengths and weaknesses of this Alabama team and whether it was championship caliber.

I'm hoping for the QB coaching to do some tweaks on his mechanics and then he needs to improve on working through his progressions when looking for receivers. A little improvement on quickening his decision making as well as his release can lead to a lot more confidence at hitting receivers that are open but not necessarily wide open.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
It's a financial burden, but I'd like to see Jalen work during the offseason with a QB guru, like Blake did. It did wonders with his passing and I'd bet it'd do the same for Jalen. There's no doubting his arm strength, just like there wasn't with Brodie's, and some of those deep balls definitely looked Brodie-like. Also, not doubting Cochran, but I thought QBs, all skill players, in fact, did more plyometrics than straight strength exercises. I thought benching was for linemen. Probably had no impact. It's just something I've wondered about...
Would it be possible to hire (even for part time) a quarterback guru on staff that would be available to all the qb's? We seem to have a huge budget for about everything. Seems like this could be doable.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Would it be possible to hire (even for part time) a quarterback guru on staff that would be available to all the qb's? We seem to have a huge budget for about everything. Seems like this could be doable.
Don't think the NCAA would allow it. If they would, we would have already done it.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
There is a limit on the number of coaches that can work with players and more importantly, there are limits on the amount of time and time periods that coaches can have working with players. A player can do pretty much anything on his own away from the University. (at least that's my understanding) The quarterbacks coach probably has as much ability as any QB-guru-for-hire so if he were allowed by the NCAA to work with the players all summer he would probably do it.

Last edited:

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Several passes looked much like a lot of Mike Vick's old throws - directly on a line for every pass. There's such a low margin for error in those throws. It also makes it hard to make the over the LB in front of the Safety type throws that really keep a defense off of the run game.

I have no reason to believe this isn't something he can get a lot better at, so hopefully we see the fruits of it next season.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Several passes looked much like a lot of Mike Vick's old throws - directly on a line for every pass. There's such a low margin for error in those throws. It also makes it hard to make the over the LB in front of the Safety type throws that really keep a defense off of the run game.

I have no reason to believe this isn't something he can get a lot better at, so hopefully we see the fruits of it next season.
I'm afraid one of the factors in the low passes is that he's still a half second to a second and a half at getting them off. That leads to a feeling of "Oh boy! Gotta get it in there." Whereas, a second or so earlier, he could add some loft to it and still get it there before the DB arrives...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm afraid one of the factors in the low passes is that he's still a half second to a second and a half at getting them off. That leads to a feeling of "Oh boy! Gotta get it in there." Whereas, a second or so earlier, he could add some loft to it and still get it there before the DB arrives...
I don't think Hurts needs to make any huge leaps forward, it's just improvement in a few key areas that could be huge. I mean, the way some people are talking (not you) you'd think he didn't throw for 2780 yards and 23 TDs. Statistically speaking, Jacob Eason as a passer was worse in pretty much every statistical category. Less yards, 16/8 TD to INT ratio compared to 23/9, 55.1 completion percentage compared to 62.8, 120 rating compared to 139. I don't think anyone is calling Jacob a bad passer either, oh yeah Hurts faced tougher defenses to.

So, I think once he reads defenses a little better, his overall vision improves, and he has a little more touch? Just pretty simple progression for a freshman quarterback, he could be scary good. I just hope he doesn't form ingrained bad habits or regress.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm super proud of Hurts for what he has accomplished this season and I know he will get better in the offseason. His dad is a coach, and he's good friends with Kevin Sumlin. Between the coaches and Saban's connection, He will definitely work with the best coaches available out there to improve his throwing. I think he'll probably will use the same one that Coker and AJ has. David Morris. I think that's the best coach out there that can help him develop velocity and deep ball.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
No complaints from me regarding Jalen. A true freshman rallied the team from four points down with four minutes to go in the fourth quarter of a national championship game, what's not to like about that. Four and a half months ago, most of us knew absolutely nothing about this kid. He and his family visited the State Capitol this summer and one of our Troopers had a chance encounter with them. Jalen, even then, introduced himself as the quarterback for Bama for the 2016 season. We said, "sure", ha. Kudos to Jalen for believing in himself and making believers out of us. So looking forward to next year, already.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Remember -- he was the SEC Offensive POY...the problem for us is that we compare him to 5th year seniors. Yes, he does need to work with a QB coach on accuracy -- and with SS on reading defenses. The quicker he can do that the quicker will be his development.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Remember -- he was the SEC Offensive POY...the problem for us is that we compare him to 5th year seniors. Yes, he does need to work with a QB coach on accuracy -- and with SS on reading defenses. The quicker he can do that the quicker will be his development.
I'm shocked that it took 33 posts for someone to bring up that he was SEC Player of the Year. He will be fine. Just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think Hurts needs to make any huge leaps forward, it's just improvement in a few key areas that could be huge. I mean, the way some people are talking (not you) you'd think he didn't throw for 2780 yards and 23 TDs. Statistically speaking, Jacob Eason as a passer was worse in pretty much every statistical category. Less yards, 16/8 TD to INT ratio compared to 23/9, 55.1 completion percentage compared to 62.8, 120 rating compared to 139. I don't think anyone is calling Jacob a bad passer either, oh yeah Hurts faced tougher defenses to.

So, I think once he reads defenses a little better, his overall vision improves, and he has a little more touch? Just pretty simple progression for a freshman quarterback, he could be scary good. I just hope he doesn't form ingrained bad habits or regress.
I've made it clear I think he has tremendous upside. However, those stats really need a closer look. You did realize that those jet sweeps, followed by a long run, count as passes?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Jalen Hurts has a lot of room to improve as a passer. The thought on him in recruiting was that he'd be a project player because he was a very raw passer (well behind many of his other peers in that high school recruiting class). The fact that his weakness as a passer really didn't come to a head until the very best competition we faced is a testament to his growth from the moment he got on campus.

But lets remember, Deshaun Watson looked a lot like this in 2014...couldn't really throw it efficiently and made plays mostly with his feet. Hopefully Hurts will have a similar progression...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Jalen did an awesome job last night like he has done all season long..He did his job & put us in position to win the game..Can't ask more than that from your Starting QB..Thank You Jalen & job well done son..RTR!!!!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.