A bit of love for Jalen Hurts for his efforts ...

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
By the way, I think the team and the coaches did a great job playing to our strengths and hiding our weaknesses this year. The D was stout and special teams were pretty good to great but, not trying to pick on anybody here, but our O line was not really great at either run blocking or pass blocking. We had to run a lot of smoke and mirror plays to hide the fact that we couldn't blow great teams off the ball or pick up blitzes consistently. The guys tried their guts out but we were only exceptional at tackle spot and those guys were young.

Still, you go to war with the army you have. We ran into a perfect storm with Clemson. They matched up well, knew us inside and out and played over their heads against us. I don't know what happened to the team who played Auburn, Troy, NC State and Pitt. We beat that team by 50 points. Guess they healed up or flipped a switch.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Guess they healed up or flipped a switch.
Clemson was mediocre at a lot of points during the season. But as the guy on the NFL playoff commercials says, it's about getting hot at the right time. The team that demolished Ohio State and the team that played Alabama was clearly an elite team.

This has happened to Alabama twice in the playoffs really. Ohio State was lousy for parts of their last championship run, but they got better and better as the season went on and Alabama played an entirely different team than the one that got spanked by Virginia Tech at home.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Clemson was mediocre at a lot of points during the season. But as the guy on the NFL playoff commercials says, it's about getting hot at the right time. The team that demolished Ohio State and the team that played Alabama was clearly an elite team.

This has happened to Alabama twice in the playoffs really. Ohio State was lousy for parts of their last championship run, but they got better and better as the season went on and Alabama played an entirely different team than the one that got spanked by Virginia Tech at home.
Too often we have peaked in October.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I earlier made the comment that Clemson appeared to know what play we were going to run before the center hiked the ball. I guess the answer to that is, With our freshman QB we did not throw a whole playbook at him to learn all year so when Clemson prepared for us it was easy to pick up on our tendencies and tell by the way we lined up what play we were going to run. I saw their defense waving for the LB's to all come over to the right side, they going to run this way and sure enough we ran right into them and took about a 5 yard loss. That is not the only reason we lost but it contributed.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Too often we have peaked in October.
You didn't peak in October this year. No other team could have hung with Clemson that night. It took everything that they had plus some help from the refs to win that game.

Sometimes the football bounces your way. Sometimes it doesn't. Time to prepare for the next run.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I earlier made the comment that Clemson appeared to know what play we were going to run before the center hiked the ball. I guess the answer to that is, With our freshman QB we did not throw a whole playbook at him to learn all year so when Clemson prepared for us it was easy to pick up on our tendencies and tell by the way we lined up what play we were going to run. I saw their defense waving for the LB's to all come over to the right side, they going to run this way and sure enough we ran right into them and took about a 5 yard loss.
Yep. That's called scouting. Kudos to Boulware on that. Maybe Jalen should have audibles out of that. Maybe, being Freshman he is not authorized to audible out of a bad play, but Boulware read that clear as day.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
There's no doubting his arm strength, just like there wasn't with Brodie's, and some of those deep balls definitely looked Brodie-like. Also, not doubting Cochran, but I thought QBs, all skill players, in fact, did more plyometrics than straight strength exercises. I thought benching was for linemen. Probably had no impact. It's just something I've wondered about...
I have wonder about the heavy lifting affecting his "touch" on the ball as well. In high school I played both football and basketball and I struggle to lift during basketball season as the weight lifting would affect my shot. So I skipped the heavy weight on my arms during BB season. But of course that was in the late 60's and 70's and things have changed a lot since then.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.