A bit of love for Jalen Hurts for his efforts ...

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I know this a team sport but as a fan, I just wanted to thank Jalen Hurts for his efforts this year. For all of his efforts and the position he was in, he really handled everything like a champion. Preseason ... there were many of us fans (me included) that didn't think we would make it this far due to all of the obstacles the team faced. But the play of Hurts was one of the main reasons we were able to make it to this point undefeated. And with less than 2:30 left to go in the game ... he was one of the players that made it possible for us to have an opportunity to win the game. Hats off to you Jalen, keep working hard, stay focused and keep being a champion. I believe your hard work will pay off before you leave Bama. RTR

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
He did have a good season. I look forward to seeing if he can improve his passing game in the off season.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
The future is really bright with Jalen and Tua. For a kid who turned 18 in August to get us to the National Championship game--I really have no complaints. He will continue to improve and I think come September, he will be a polished passer and a force to be reckoned with! RTR Jalen!!

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
People forget that Hurts is a true Freshman. He'll get better. A LOT better and that is scary to think about.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
he put us up by a FG with 2 minutes left in the national championship game...if that doesn't show you his composure and poise under pressure...I don't know what can

he has the talent to be the greatest QB Tuscaloosa has ever seen...and I think he has the work ethic to get there...just needs more practice and work

he also has it "upstairs"...something you can't teach like mechanics and timing

we are in good hands and I expect us to break in the new Mercedes Benz Stadium with a W this fall

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's a financial burden, but I'd like to see Jalen work during the offseason with a QB guru, like Blake did. It did wonders with his passing and I'd bet it'd do the same for Jalen. There's no doubting his arm strength, just like there wasn't with Brodie's, and some of those deep balls definitely looked Brodie-like. Also, not doubting Cochran, but I thought QBs, all skill players, in fact, did more plyometrics than straight strength exercises. I thought benching was for linemen. Probably had no impact. It's just something I've wondered about...

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
It's a financial burden, but I'd like to see Jalen work during the offseason with a QB guru, like Blake did. It did wonders with his passing and I'd bet it'd do the same for Jalen. There's no doubting his arm strength, just like there wasn't with Brodie's, and some of those deep balls definitely looked Brodie-like. Also, not doubting Cochran, but I thought QBs, all skill players, in fact, did more plyometrics than straight strength exercises. I thought benching was for linemen. Probably had no impact. It's just something I've wondered about...
I had the same thought about the QB guru. I hope he's able to get some work in on that.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
One of the main reasons I cautioned against starting a true freshman was because of the impact that can have on development. There are several guys who played as true freshman, and had tons of talent, but still ended up as backups towards the end of their careers. It's easy to develop bad habits by playing early and it's harder to fine tune mechanics in live game action. I think he wants to focus on his passing, and his family wants him to as well though, so I hope and expect him to develop more as a passer.

Having said that, I think it's easy to overlook the fact that some penalties and dropped passes (also the OJ catch, where he should have been blocking) really undermined Hurts. If your QB is in over his head against a top 10 defense, you have to execute, and the penalties (which have been lopsided all year but that's another story) along with the the mistakes really hurt a few drives.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
What Jalen accomplished was remarkable. Was he a superstar passer? Nope. But he didn't have to be for most of the season. He is young, and I truly believe he is going to grow into a great QB for us. We could have used him being a better passer last night, no doubt. But he did put us into position to win that game with 2 minutes left. The loss is not on him. I don't know that it is on any of our players, in fact. Clemson just wanted it more than we did and got the job done. Hats off to them.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He had an amazing true freshman season, no doubt.

Agree with others though, now it's time to become a complete qb.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
For a true freshman, what more could you ask/expect. The fact that a TF QB has only won a NC once in the last 30 years should tell you something. He's too mature and has a mindset that I believe will make him better.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I bet you that's already in the plans my friend. He also has a high ceiling as far as talent and growth so I'm excited to see what else he will accomplish during his time at UA. I truly believe that he will win a NC before he leaves.

For a true freshman, what more could you ask/expect. The fact that a TF QB has only won a NC once in the last 30 years should tell you something. He's too mature and has a mindset that I believe will make him better.
The wild thing is, didn't he have similar production as the QB that one for OU? The qb for OU didn't make a lot of of pass plays but had the one bomb play like Jalen did with OJ. I'm just excited about what he's accomplished thus far and his upside. The fact is, JH beat out 3 other QBs that were already on the team and accomplished more as a true freshman than most QBs have not only in the history of BAMA but in the SEC as well. We really have a tremendous talent.

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
Is coach Sarkisian going to be the QB coach? I am just wondering who is going to be coaching Jalen next season. Him working with a QB guru during the offseason would be great. I told my brother last night that, to me, it is not that he does not have the ability to throw deep passes, it is that he overthrows the receiver and that is something that can be worked on.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
it is not that he does not have the ability to throw deep passes, it is that he overthrows the receiver and that is something that can be worked on.
Yup, he has the arm. If he improves and doesn't regress, I'm not sure some people realize how good he could be. I think the Hurts family wants him to develop as a passer and that should be the plan. He's a great runner, that won't change, now I think the goal should be for him to only run when necessary. Try to work designed runs out of the playbook and make him into a better passer. I spent time looking up true freshman QB numbers, and a lot of great QBs looked mediocre as true freshman. Hurts as a whole looked quite good, he put up good stats (actually the best ever for a true freshman QB). If he can become a better passer, he can become a dominating 3000/30 type guy. Honestly, there's no other college QB I'd take at this point. Two years of Hurts and Sark could bring great things.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Is coach Sarkisian going to be the QB coach? I am just wondering who is going to be coaching Jalen next season. Him working with a QB guru during the offseason would be great. I told my brother last night that, to me, it is not that he does not have the ability to throw deep passes, it is that he overthrows the receiver and that is something that can be worked on.
Unless something changes, he is the QB coach. I don't think an OC/QB coach can spend mega hours on mechanics, etc. That's when the offseason QB guru comes in. He has the time to concentrate on mechanics and the like. It's not just the deep passes. Several short passes which were dropped last night were launched with Freddy Kitchenesque velocity. You don't want to place your receivers in fear of broken fingers. He's shown touch before, so I'm assuming that it was big game nerves, even if it doesn't show in his demeanor...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.