Depression Board - what hurts most about this loss

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Wish they had Hurts playing like he did on the last drive all night. He had a sense of urgency he didn't have earlier. We should have trusted him a little more. When we did it seemed to give him confidence. Losing Bo really hurt. No calls on the pick plays hurt the worst.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
We didn't deserve anything. Clemson out played us and deserved everything they got. We shouldn't have put ourselves in the position to lose if we were that much better than Clemson. We won with class, now lets show class in losing. We got beat regardless of the two picks for touchdowns. Quit whining.
Clemson used illegal plays to score, period.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
We didn't deserve anything. Clemson out played us and deserved everything they got. We shouldn't have put ourselves in the position to lose if we were that much better than Clemson. We won with class, now lets show class in losing. We got beat regardless of the two picks for touchdowns. Quit whining.
What are you talking about. No one said we were that much better than Clemson. You are 1000% wrong we don't lose if they call those two picks. No one is bashing Clemson they are a great team with a former Alabama native and player as the coach so in that sense we kinda still won. Not even been 24 hours and you think FANS should not point out what they saw. Not one person said the refs cheated, not one. It should go with out saying as FANS we notice when calls are missed against OUR TEAM.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
What are you talking about. No one said we were that much better than Clemson. You are 1000% wrong we don't lose if they call those two picks. No one is bashing Clemson they are a great team with a former Alabama native and player as the coach so in that sense we kinda still won. Not even been 24 hours and you think FANS should not point out what they saw. Not one person said the refs cheated, not one. It should go with out saying as FANS we notice when calls are missed against OUR TEAM.
We had controversial calls go our way during the season and we took them and not a word was said except from the opposition. Clemson was the better team last night. Quit whining and act like you have been there. The more you whine, the more our rivals love it. Clemson won the trophy, let them enjoy it. We will be back in a year or two. There's a whole lot worse things in life to lose than this championship game.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Good post. As to #1, we had a spring practice, a Fall practice, and an entire season to work with Jalen. Hard to believe that in all those snaps, our coaching staff with all their resources (with all the talent surrounding him) could not develop Jalen into at least a serviceable passer downfield. (I know, 18 yrs old, playing high school ball last yr at this time, a lot to learn, etc). I have no inside info here but it seems like somewhere our staff could have done a better job developing Jalen (some serious evaluating needs to be done here, or does Jalen have what it takes to be a good passer). Our passing game will have to improve a lot if we want to get back to the mountaintop. (By the way Watson is a dual threat QB and he's a pretty good passer).

2. I have been awakened many nights from a deep sleep fretting over false starts. Seems like everytime we get the ball 1st and 10 on the 5 yd line, almost like it was scripted, we get a false start.

I too am proud of our team. Roll Tide Roll
With the players we have at receiver, it is sickening that we are no better at throwing the ball than we are.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With the players we have a receiver, it is sickening that we are no better at throwing the ball than we are.
Yep. I would argue that Ridley and Stewart along with OJ comprise the best receiving corps in college football. If not the best, certainly top 3.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Clemson used illegal plays to score, period.
Did they use illegal plays to outgain us 511 to 376? To almost double us up on first downs 31 to 16? To have almost 10 more minutes time of possession?

When people blame the refs it's embarrassing, makes us look like sore losers. You can't scoff at the "but Colt was hurt" crowd and then blame the refs when you lose.\

My thoughts:

A) Jalen has been great this year but has struggled against the elite defenses we've faced (LSU, Washington, Clemson.) Still I thought he was clearly coached to be smart and conservative and throw it away. We were counting on the defense to carry us and for most of the game they did. We still scored 31 points and he took the lead with a great drive with 2 minutes to go. It's hard for me to lay the loss on his shoudlers.

B) Losing Bo was huge. Running game just wasn't the same without him.

C) Defense got tired from the offense going three and out, but they also let Watson get into a groove. Early on they had him rattled and he was totally off -- once he got into a grove he started making plays.

Bitterly disappointing end to a great season. But tip your cap to Clemson. Great team and Watson is a great player, should have won the Heisman.

Keep your chin up -- we'll be back next year and I doubt they will be.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
We had controversial calls go our way during the season and we took them and not a word was said except from the opposition. Clemson was the better team last night. Quit whining and act like you have been there. The more you whine, the more our rivals love it. Clemson won the trophy, let them enjoy it. We will be back in a year or two. There's a whole lot worse things in life to lose than this championship game.
We were the opposition this time. You get on thread called Depression Board and say stop whining? Even when we win we point out what was egregiously called against us or not called. Clemson was the better team because they won, it still does not discount or some how says we should not mention the no calls. There are a great deal of people who are fully invested, emotionally, in this team. FANS don't have to take the high road less than 24 hours after a loss. Thats why we are FAN. If you read Our post, FANS, and all you see is whining.............

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Did they use illegal plays to outgain us 511 to 376? To almost double us up on first downs 31 to 16? To have almost 10 more minutes time of possession?

When people blame the refs it's embarrassing, makes us look like sore losers. You can't scoff at the "but Colt was hurt" crowd and then blame the refs when you lose.\

My thoughts:

A) Jalen has been great this year but has struggled against the elite defenses we've faced (LSU, Washington, Clemson.) Still I thought he was clearly coached to be smart and conservative and throw it away. We were counting on the defense to carry us and for most of the game they did. We still scored 31 points and he took the lead with a great drive with 2 minutes to go. It's hard for me to lay the loss on his shoudlers.

B) Losing Bo was huge. Running game just wasn't the same without him.

C) Defense got tired from the offense going three and out, but they also let Watson get into a groove. Early on they had him rattled and he was totally off -- once he got into a grove he started making plays.

Bitterly disappointing end to a great season. But tip your cap to Clemson. Great team and Watson is a great player, should have won the Heisman.

I agree, Lamar Jackson was not the best player in college football. I don't know if DeShawn Watson was but LJ wasn't. They should wait until after the NCG to award the Heisman.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I would have liked to have seen more ball control from our offense and less tempo.

How many times, even in the second half when they were clearly gassed, did our defense give the ball back to our offense only to see them go three and out will burning only 20 seconds of clock? It was maddening. Where were the basic plays that ought to work? The screens, slants, etc? Seems like we did try a couple of screens and Clemson blew them up.

Ill say this. I'm very impressed with Clemson's offensive efficiency. Yes, much of it is Watson. But they had so many well timed plays. A slant here, a screen there. I mean we virtually shut down their running game yet they still had 500+ yards with a boat load of third down conversions.

CrimsonTider-n-SC

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 3, 2004
Don't post very much...do read the board daily. What hurts the most is watching my 12 year old son wake up crying this morning. We live in the upstate of South Carolina and he was devastated by the loss. He was asking did he have to go to school this morning because he knows he's going to hear about how great Clemson is all day long. For those not around Clemson much they truly are the Barn with a lake.

With that said I hurt for the players. Go read some of their quotes after the game. Those guys gave their all for their brothers. They've worked their rear-ends off and really deserve our support regardless of whether we think some of them have limitations. And even a couple of the players voiced their view of the officials as "against us". That's not blaming the refs it's just stating a fact that it was something else we had to overcome.

Also, count me in the group that hopes Dabo never is the coach at the University of Alabama.

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Yes. They did. There were multiple offensive interference calls that should have been made which extended drives that would have stalled. There were 2 pick plays that scored. So yes. They did. I'm not typically one for blaming officials but they contributed greatly to the momentum swing due to not doing their job as the rules prescribe. Our DB's DID hold on some plays and I'm not discounting that but anyone who WATCHED the game cannot deny this was a less than stellar job by the officials.

NOW. Our offense was lacking simply due to not being able to stretch the field. I'm not happy about it but that's what we've had to endure this year. And JH has done a stellar job of getting us to the championship game.

Still, it's great to be a Tide Fan.

Roll Tide.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Don't post very much...do read the board daily. What hurts the most is watching my 12 year old son wake up crying this morning. We live in the upstate of South Carolina and he was devastated by the loss. He was asking did he have to go to school this morning because he knows he's going to hear about how great Clemson is all day long. For those not around Clemson much they truly are the Barn with a lake.

With that said I hurt for the players. Go read some of their quotes after the game. Those guys gave their all for their brothers. They've worked their rear-ends off and really deserve our support regardless of whether we think some of them have limitations. And even a couple of the players voiced their view of the officials as "against us". That's not blaming the refs it's just stating a fact that it was something else we had to overcome.

Also, count me in the group that hopes Dabo never is the coach at the University of Alabama.
I woke my grandson for school this morning and he basically told me the same as your son told you. I used it as a learning tool by explaining that you can't go through life and never lose. We all wanted to win but we didn't. We won last year and maybe we will win next year. He lost his Mom 3 months ago so really this can't hold a candle to what he's already lost. Football is a game, you learn to win and lose games with grace.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm not even depressed, Sure I'd love to have won. But I've seen seven national championships and this is the first loss.

It was still a great year.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The sun came up, the snow is melting -- and no one died. If our egos are dependent upon a bunch of 17-21 year olds who do not even know us, then something is vastly wrong.

Have a great day...retirement is UNDERRATED!!!

CrimsonTider-n-SC

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 3, 2004
I woke my grandson for school this morning and he basically told me the same as your son told you. I used it as a learning tool by explaining that you can't go through life and never lose. We all wanted to win but we didn't. We won last year and maybe we will win next year. He lost his Mom 3 months ago so really this can't hold a candle to what he's already lost. Football is a game, you learn to win and lose games with grace.
Agreed 1000%. It's a game and we told him to tell everyone "congratulations, enjoy the win and the Tide will Roll again. We've told him countless time enjoy the ride Bama is on because it won't always be this good.

Sorry for your grandson's loss. That loss has a real impact on his life compared to the game last night.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This can be tough for a kid at school, but it is a lesson well learned. Heck, I went though middle/high school with Mike DuBose as the Alabama coach.

However, I am very sorry for your grandson's loss. No, a game can't hold a candle to that.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Although I'm disappointed the defense didn't bow up on that last drive, they played 100 snaps. That's absolutely ridiculous against an offense as good as Clemson's, and that's squarely on the offense's inability to sustain drives or even get a first down.
This is right on the money. We just had the D on the field for too many plays. You just can't expect a team to play 99 plays and expect to win. NO one in college football has enough depth to play 99 plays on defense. The offense was not good and it wasn't play calling. It was execution. Dropped passes, running poor routes, and most disturbingly not blocking at the point of attack. Bama is not supposed to lose the line of scrimmage, but we lost it last night.

All this being said, Clemson outplayed us last night for the most part so they deserve to be champions.

What burns me is the pick plays that were ignored. It is either a rule or not. The refs were from the Big12 who probably see that play 100 times in that throw it around everywhere league of theirs and never call it so I am not surprised it wasn't called last night. There is a reason that it is a rule that you can't block the DB away from the play, but no one seems to care anymore. If it is not going to be called abolish it and let college football become the CFL. I for one am tired of seeing the game being perverted into something it is not meant to be. College football has been a great game for over a 100 years, but this HUNH crap and lineman downfield and the rub/pick play not being called almost ever, has gotten to the point where it is ruining the game. Like it or not, ESPN is now running college football and the PTB cowtow to them for the sake of a check.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.