Depression Board - what hurts most about this loss

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I know you're upset today. We all are, but you're wrong. Stats show this defense is still unbelievable.
I hear you. I'm just saying maybe....MAYBE those stats are skewed because of our competition all season. Allen for Ark and Kelly for OM torched us too. Unbelievable defenses bring home NC's. Again....they couldn't even force a FG attempt against Clemson. If Clemson got down there....and they did....it was TD city.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I suppose this is the thread to vent my frustration about the officiating.

I have always been bothered when "letting guys play" turns into a chance to break the established rules willy nilly. It's one thing to take a strategic penalty - it's something else altogether for the refs to swallow the whistle such that mugging becomes the norm for the game. That's true in football as well as basketball - see the foul on Trevor Releford at the end of the Creighton game a few years back.

With that said - what happened last night was a travesty. Someone - I believe it was rgw - posted some time back that the playoff didn't take into account the regional nature of CFB. I agreed heartily with this, and I think last night's officiating debacle is evidence of that. First off, this is the same crew that botched the Cal/Texas game, so I'm at a loss to understand how they were able to run a game of this magnitude. With that said, these refs brought their Big 12 culture with them - which means they were going to let receivers behave like MMA fighters all night long. Kudos to Clemson for picking up on this, but what on earth are we supposed to do here? The referees make it plain that they won't call an established rule and Saban can do nothing about it. This is insane - and every media jackleg who would tell Bama fans to not whine about it can go jump in the Black Warrior River. That goes double for local media who should be willing - on occasion - to carry water for the home team.

As to the criticism of the defense, or the notion that we got "torched." I can buy that, but up to a point. I know this gets into some weird, Malcolm Gladwell territory, but clearly sometimes a QB/WR tandem get into a zone that couldn't be broken by JJ Watt, Ed Reed and Darelle Revis. I don't know what you do about it, but when OPI isn't going to be called all the live long night, all you can do is throw your hands up. Even Michael Wilbon was tweeting about the picks last night, and I'll be curious to see if anyone the national media who isn't committed to carrying water for Clemson will come out and say something about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Probably the fact that the last two Clemson TD's looked suspiciously like picks but were not called. Don't want to sound like sour grapes, but I thought picks were illegal in football.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Probably the fact that the last two Clemson TD's looked suspiciously like picks but were not called. Don't want to sound like sour grapes, but I thought picks were illegal in football.
They are, and it's likely, though not certain, that those plays would have been called back in both the SEC and ACC.

It's sort of a "don't hate the player, hate the game" situation but I don't totally fault Clemson for doing it. I do fault the CFP for this ridiculous officiating system that allows calls to work one way in conference X and then another way in conference Y. It kills my enthusiasm for the game.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
zero contact in our lsu play. #16 took out two players with blocking on the first pick td
That's the difference. Our receivers did not just come out and plow over the DB's like Clemson did. No contact was made. Clemson receivers looked they were blocking for a running play.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
The five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance are a part of the framework that makes up our learning to live with the one we lost.I am on to acceptance now. Glad to have had this pain so the next one we win will be that much sweeter. Roll Tide!!!!! Who's ready for some Basketball?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Even Michael Wilbon was tweeting about the picks last night, and I'll be curious to see if anyone the national media who isn't committed to carrying water for Clemson will come out and say something about it.
I doubt it. There was a lot of joy last night from the "Dang, I'm tired of Bama" crowd.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
I am not depressed...disappointed for the players. But then I think about these facts in my life, I have seen with my own eyes 1965, 1966 (should have been), 1973 UPI, 1978, 1979, 1992, and all the ones under Coach Saban. I witnessed the magic of Coach Bryant and witnessed many great Bama football players and accomplishments. There is NOTHING to be depressed over because no other school can touch those accomplishments in my lifetime. There is not another fan base who would not love to be in our shoes. So I choose to act like I have been here before because I have on both sides of victory and defeat. Thank you to all the players who have made this TRADITION. Maybe I will see another one before the Lord calls me home. ROLL TIDE!

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Two things. Clemson's offense is really good. And, when your offense goes 3 and out as much as Alabama's does, while running tempo themselves and not burning the least bit of clock, it is going to cause pain for your defense no matter how good it is.
This^

Our tOSU confrere talks about the D goating it by getting exposed - yeah, exposed to 100 plays of offense that every 'Bama throwaway incompletion abetted by extending the d*mned game almost to the 2017 season. Sark should've stuck Hurts under center and gone pro set after Scarborough got hurt - maybe even brought in an extra O lineman into the formation to go unbalanced right from time to time with Jacobs and Harris.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Having to sit on a plane from Tampa to Newark and surrounded by a bunch of orange.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I wore all black today and everyone noticed and even knew why. I also work with 3 barners and had to have an hour long discussion about last nights game.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
No- it was not. Ball was in the air. It is an illegal pick.
If you are talking about Bama vs LSU, you are flat out wrong. Period. End of discussion. If talking about Clemson you are correct: there were two illegal picks where the intent to impede was obvious to the point of ridiculous. Against LSU there was no obvious intent as the receiver ran a route and sat down on it while the Clemson receivers tackled the Alabama defenders. You are simply wrong and it's not even close.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.