Depression Board - what hurts most about this loss

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
This is one of the only critiques to be made of our in-game coaching. We rotated well in the first half and should have continued in the second. We didn't and we now see the result. I do wonder if this amazing group of seniors refused to come off the field and perhaps their pride got in the way. Either way, the talent was there to spell them for a bit and it just wasn't utilized as much after halftime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We did rotate...several times I looked out and said to my wife that 93 was not in the game...we moved players in and out as we could...they did not substitute much on offense so that limited us.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Haven't read the previous 10 pages, because I don't want to get depressed. :wink:

What hurts the most: I'd say it's being so very close to another championship but knowing we shot ourselves in the foot with so many mistakes to claim it. Credit Clemson for taking advantage of them and winning.

Also, it hurt knowing that future championships are not guaranteed. We are the most spoiled fan base to have seen so many, even in the last few years. While we feel like we can probably make it back real soon, you just never know.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Disappointed that is seems we "wasted" one of the best D lines I've ever seen. Just need a little better Offense. We lost to a really good team so some solace in that. I don't feel as bad as when we lost to Ohio State in the semi's. Don't know why. Looking forward to next year!

Bamaphil1

Jan 10, 2017
Bo getting hurt and not being able to run the clock. Also every ahole at my school saying Clemson even though they don't watch college football or root for Clemson. Also the refs bias.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I was so pumped when Jalen scored, but then I looked at the clock, and in my mind I said OH NO!!!! there is too much time on that clock. I knew the defense was gassed. I was terrified and rightly so. I wish someone would have tripped him on the 2 yard line just so the clock could have ticked down. This was one time I wish the turf monster would have reached up and grabbed someone.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Because we abandoned what has worked for 4 titles and totally abandoned it with no explanation. It cost these guys a title that would've been more than earned. If we had run the ball and kept the clock running the defense gets rest, Watson gets no time, and IMHO Bama wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hate to break it to you but:

1) Hurts was not the passer that AJ or Coker was - he's not even to the McElroy level sometimes
2) He wasn't behind the 2012 O line
3) None of our backs are to the level of Henry, Lacy, Ingram, or Trent except Bo in some spurts - and he was out
4) We rushed for 221 yards - that's about 60 more than last year and there's no Derrick Henry on this team

The notion we went away from some success formula is absurd. We got 31 points - what our offensive averaged - against a team that gave up 17. We got those with a brand new OC.

The biggest play of the game was the tackle of Anderson on the fumble return. If he scores there it's 21-7, they're demoralized in the "this is what happens" mentality, and our play calling is different - a bit.

I also think the delay of game penalties against UW caused us to keep valuable seconds on the clock and snap the ball early.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I was so pumped when Jalen scored, but then I looked at the clock, and in my mind I said OH NO!!!! there is too much time on that clock. I knew the defense was gassed. I was terrified and rightly so. I wish someone would have tripped him on the 2 yard line just so the clock could have ticked down. This was one time I wish the turf monster would have reached up and grabbed someone.
I was hoping for something. Watson to misfire on a pass. Something, anything. But he and his WRs were magnificent on that final drive.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I wish, if nothing else, we would have at least called a timeout before the play with 6 seconds left. If for nothing else, let everyone catch their breath and go over what we were going to do. Heck in this day an age of commercials, we would have probably gotten 5 minutes.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I think being number one all season and then to lose the national title on the very last play of the game ( and with an illegal pick play) is hard to accept for me. Team deserved better than that.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
My depression is the fact that some people nationwide tend to hate what they don't understand. I was looking at this article today about people's hate for Saban/happy that Bama loss and it just makes me sad how some people on the outside looking in still don't get this program: Chicago Tribune – Why millions rejoiced at Nick Saban's loss

This program to me is akin to the Spurs and the Patriots, not flashy but a program dedicated to doing the sport the right way and building a successful program. Ironically, the coaches for these program receive a rap similar to Coach Saban of being unlikable. While, all at the same time, the programs build a winning tradition and teams. All I guess I can say is HATERS GONNA HATE lol

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I hate to break it to you but:

1) Hurts was not the passer that AJ or Coker was - he's not even to the McElroy level sometimes
2) He wasn't behind the 2012 O line
3) None of our backs are to the level of Henry, Lacy, Ingram, or Trent except Bo in some spurts - and he was out
4) We rushed for 221 yards - that's about 60 more than last year and there's no Derrick Henry on this team

The notion we went away from some success formula is absurd. We got 31 points - what our offensive averaged - against a team that gave up 17. We got those with a brand new OC.

The biggest play of the game was the tackle of Anderson on the fumble return. If he scores there it's 21-7, they're demoralized in the "this is what happens" mentality, and our play calling is different - a bit.

I also think the delay of game penalties against UW caused us to keep valuable seconds on the clock and snap the ball early.
Funny thing about the 31 points and complaints about the offense - we scored 38 offensive points in last year's game, and one of those TDs came after the onside kick (essentially stealing a possession from them).

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Biggest thing to me....Bo getting hurt. We had the lead, and with his tough running style, he would have been invaluable in taking the air out of the ball at the end of the game. I mean, they had a hard time getting him down when he was out there.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I personally thought that Jalen should have hit the deck around the two-yard line and let the clock run - but it's easy for me to say that, too. The irony is this: if he had done this and it had WORKED and we had won....he would be praised coast to coast this morning for having the 'mentality nd awareness of a fifth-year senior.' But you can't assume - especially without Bo - that we would have scored. If nothing else, it would have forced Clemson to use at least one timeout (and possibly both) and given them less time.

But hindsight is always 20/20 - and if Hurts had done that and then we fumbled the exchange and failed to score, the entire loss would be put on him.

But 81's pre-game assessment was in fact correct - we beat them last year with Coker throwing bombs. We were missing a critical weapon in the arsenal for a game like this. I don't 'blame' anybody for the loss. There's plenty to go around, but at some point you also have to salute their best players for exceeding outcomes of our best players.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My depression is the fact that some people nationwide tend to hate what they don't understand. I was looking at this article today about people's hate for Saban/happy that Bama loss and it just makes me sad how some people on the outside looking in still don't get this program: Chicago Tribune – Why millions rejoiced at Nick Saban's loss

This program to me is akin to the Spurs and the Patriots, not flashy but a program dedicated to doing the sport the right way and building a successful program. Ironically, the coaches for these program receive a rap similar to Coach Saban of being unlikable. While, all at the same time, the programs build a winning tradition and teams. All I guess I can say is HATERS GONNA HATE lol
The only folks who do this are people whose teams stink and can only get their jollies by someone else's presumed misery.

The sun arose and Alabama is STILL (despite the loss) the most envied name in college football. Nobody woke up this morning outside of the state of South Carolina and said "we wanna be Clemson."

They still WANT to be Alabama. This is what drives Auburn fans in particular nuts. As I've said a hundred times about some of their fans - they woke up the morning after Cam Newton led them to a championship and thought the whole world was going to be different....and then they realized before lunch time the next day that they were STILL number two in the state and always will be.

Granted - not ALL of their fans think that and some are really cool. BUT......the people who actually went out at freaking midnight to throw toilet paper on Toomer's Corner because Alabama lost.....these are folks too stupid to realize that they just stood up as an advertisement of everything negative Tide fans say about them.

Their program is so mediocre that they take more pleasure in our fall than in their rise. (This is also what gave birth for years to their idea that national championships don't REALLY exist).

But it isn't just about Auburn, and I actually undercut the argument if i focus on them. But there ARE millions like them - folks whose teams have been decimated after facing the Tide. Texas may as well have been Atlanta the day after Sherman came through with all their problems since January 8, 2010. Florida is on their third coach of the Saban era and have won a national title and FOUR division titles but are saddled with three SECCG losses. LSU and UGA fired coaches who had regular 10-win seasons.

Notre Dame has never recovered from the steamrolling they got four years ago, either. They're 31-20 since then. Tennessee?? Every time we hear they're up from their fifteen years of woe, they implode again and are revealed as an impostor.

In all sincerity, Auburn has recovered quite well from their post-title implosion - compared to almost everyone else.

This leads to a nationwide hope and prayer that Alabama loses. We're like USC in the Texas game or even like Nebraska when that dynasty finally ended.

To show you how things go full circle - the other night we were Miami 1993 Sugar Bowl and they were Alabama as far as the nation's rooting interest was concerned.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Biggest thing to me....Bo getting hurt. We had the lead, and with his tough running style, he would have been invaluable in taking the air out of the ball at the end of the game. I mean, they had a hard time getting him down when he was out there.
The biggest of all was the loss of Eddie Jackson. Not to play "but Colt" but...if he's there, there's not a doubt in my mind we win that game because his coverage was completely different. Cain and Williams don't eat us up near as much as they did. The loss of BOTH Jackson and Hamilton - too much.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Notre Dame has never recovered from the steamrolling they got four years ago, either. They're 31-20 since then.

It was pretty obvious to almost everybody with half a brain that ND was a "paper tiger" that year. We exposed them early and often and Oh, how I loved every moment of it!!!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The biggest of all was the loss of Eddie Jackson. Not to play "but Colt" but...if he's there, there's not a doubt in my mind we win that game because his coverage was completely different. Cain and Williams don't eat us up near as much as they did. The loss of BOTH Jackson and Hamilton - too much.
Not just Eddie's coverage skills, but the overall chain reaction of it. Him on the field doesn't put Minkah at Safety, which helps with Renfrow out of the slot.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not just Eddie's coverage skills, but the overall chain reaction of it. Him on the field doesn't put Minkah at Safety, which helps with Renfrow out of the slot.
Yep. Jackson and SDH being out really impacted the game. Their replacements, or who ended up on the field, Evans and Brown, are better athletes but they're not always in the correct position. See the long screen pass. Tony Brown was completely out of position and whiffed the tackle..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.