Depression Board - what hurts most about this loss

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Nobody said this, but I'll enter this into the category of "top ten straw men on the Internet."

What was said was - the 1992 defense played in a different time and completely different era and looking back as if they could have held Clemson to 10 points or less last night is preposterous on its face.
I'm making the scenario 'all things being equal'. Have the 1992 Alabama Defensive and 2016 Clemson offensive players grow up in the same era with the same facilities, nutrition, strength and conditioning and coaching and the 1992 squad would beat them. If anyone thinks different then they must think it's a pure Talent difference. The 1992 Defense was loaded with NFL picks. Those same guys being born 18-22 years ago and playing now would again be NFL picks in the next few months. Talent is Talent. It's just maximized more now.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm making the scenario 'all things being equal'. Have the 1992 Alabama Defensive and 2016 Clemson offensive players grow up in the same era with the same facilities, nutrition, strength and conditioning and coaching and the 1992 squad would beat them. If anyone thinks different then they must think it's a pure Talent difference. The 1992 Defense was loaded with NFL picks. Those same guys being born 18-22 years ago and playing now would again be NFL picks in the next few months. Talent is Talent. It's just maximized more now.
Um... the 2016 Alabama defense is loaded with NFL draft picks. Wait until April.

My earlier point was that the 1992 defense did not face an offense like Clemson's. My point had nothing to do with talent. Florida's offense in 1992 was as more of a pro-style offense as Alabama's was this year. Miami's offense back then was a classic single back offense with the QB under center a good majority of the time. Heck even Spurrier had his QBs under center back then. It was a totally different era. Selma's point about 1992 being closer to 1968 than 2016 is appropriate.

In 1992, we never faced a HUNH team. This would have rendered that defense into swiss cheese. Curry and Copeland were great but they weren't holding up under 99 plays against an offense with equal talent.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
That we ended the season 14-1 and the one came in the last game. It was a great season to watch, all up to the last Clemson drive that ended with another one (one second remaining on our season). Roll Tide, we will be back and ready to roll in the new Mercedes Benz stadium next season.

Tennis

Jan 20, 2010
It's been said before but Cam Robinson, a first round pick, false starting at crucial moments is most depressing to me because it was completely within his control.

AustinTider

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2006
Austin, Texas
Bo getting hurt again and Eddie Jackson not healed and able to play. Eddie is a ball hawk and would have made a difference on the last drive among others for Clempson.:mad2: on TideFans.com

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I thought we were going to win when we scored with two minutes to go. Clemson is to be commended for that last drive.....they made the plays when the chips were all on the line.
Still...it hurt...I know it hurts the players worse.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
. . . we have struggled at times on 3rd down all season, especially 3rd and long
We have struggle on 3rd down for 2 seasons now.

For me, it was the feeling that the offense was playing not to lose, rather than playing to win, once Bo went out of the game.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm still not over this. We were cheated out of a title. It was stolen from us, plain and simple.
Nope.They kicked our butt.You can like it, accept it,or whatever,but we did not get cheated out of the national title. They earned it. Grow up.
They did what we didn't do.
We tried as hard as we could, we were just one second short. But "Come On", we didn't get cheated out of anything.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
So you are okay with the 2 illegal pick plays? I am not that passive. Clemson made plays to win the game- i recognize that. But to score 2 TD's in the 4th quarter in this manner also will stick with me for awhile. And then to hear Dabo the Blabo say that it was clearly defensive pass interference on Bama during the last play - wow. Have a hard time accepting that.
Nope.They kicked our butt.You can like it, accept it,or whatever,but we did not get cheated out of the national title. They earned it. Grow up.
We tried as hard as we could, we were just one second short. But "Come On", we didn't get cheated out of anything.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Come on dude..."kicked our butt", seriously?

They used illegal plays all night and were allowed to do whatever they wanted to our DBs. We had a national championship stolen from us.

Callmeafan

Jan 10, 2017
Come on dude..."kicked our butt", seriously?

They used illegal plays all night and were allowed to do whatever they wanted to our DBs. We had a national championship stolen from us.
They were just better, face it. I've never been one to blame the refs for winning or losing. To do so is and childish. In the entirety of a game, there are missed calls all the time, on both sides of the ball. We were lucky Foster didn't get thrown out early in the game for his clothesline hit on Watson and/or the his targeting hit on Watson a short time later.

Listen, I'm as upset as anyone we didn't win, but grow up and face it, bad calls or no calls didn't beat us - they were the better team. Yeah, sometimes you just get beaten.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
They were just better, face it. I've never been one to blame the refs for winning or losing. To do so is and childish. In the entirety of a game, there are missed calls all the time, on both sides of the ball. We were lucky Foster didn't get thrown out early in the game for his clothesline hit on Watson and/or the his targeting hit on Watson a short time later.

Listen, I'm as upset as anyone we didn't win, but grow up and face it, bad calls or no calls didn't beat us - they were the better team. Yeah, sometimes you just get beaten.
Doesn't smell like a lion or a bear......oh my!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.