JessN: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    The blue print was laid by LSU and from that point on our passing game and Jalen Hurts began to struggle mightily. He's an 18 year old true freshman and there's no way anyone should have expected this kid to go out there and read defenses on this level at his age. To be honest, we played on house money this year and have defied the odds over the last several years with winning as much as we have with a revolving door each year at the QB position. Well, the revolving door is over with for at least two more years. The unfortunate part is it cost us a NC on the front in, but I'm confident by doing so we may very pick up another two before Hurts leaves.
    I'm not as sure as you are on this. With Tua coming in, the spring QB competition is going to be red hot I think. As athletic as JH is and as much as he accomplished, if he doesn't progress a bunch between now and next fall he might be watching instead of playing. Teams had him figured out the whole last part of the season.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar

As angry as I was about both non-OPI calls on those two TDs, Alabama still didn't capitalize much when they forced two TOs - I believe we only got a FG from both TOs. Also, Cam committed at least two, if not three or four pre-snap penalties that killed possible scoring drives. This game reminded me a lot of 2005 USC-Texas, with the media hyping up the potential history-adding achievements of USC, and the hot/upset QB and Texas. That is not me saying that Alabama will slide down like USC did after that game, just what the game felt like in retrospect to other previous NC games.
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

IMHO, the loss of Eddie Jackson should not be over looked as having a very detrimental effect on the defense and special teams during last night's game.

Even though this happened earlier in the season....I always felt this would come back and haunt Bama.

Without question, there were many other factors which impacted the game. But I really felt that Eddie's presence on the field always had a very huge impact on player performance.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Great job, as usual. I would add that Clemson played this game to win offensively while Alabama was clearly playing not to lose. It was clear that Jalen was told once again that if he could play another clean game with no turnovers that Alabama would win. Didn't work out that way. If Jalen is to improve, he has to be allowed to make mistakes. If Alabama is to win a championship with him at QB, he has to believe in his ability to work the entire field. He won't trust himself until the coaches do.

Absolutely. Which was my point prior to the season when I kept saying that there was no reason why Hurts shouldn't be the starter simply due to inexperience. Cooper Bateman was inexperienced also, and the little game experience he had showed absolutely nothing.

Bama had the defense to go out there and win games with a freshman quarterback making mistakes as he developed. They're going to have to let him make some in order to grow. He needs to speed his process up. By that, I mean he needs to set up faster to throw first of all. You have to set up quickly in order to see things quickly. Hurts is typically not even set up to throw 2 seconds into the play. The ball should already be out by then.

Secondly, where Clemson's passing offense is so advanced compared to Alabama's is the sight adjustments. Hunter Renfrow sight adjusts like an NFL slot receiver. Bama's receivers need to be able to read a DB's leverage and sight adjust the route, and the QB needs to be on the same page. This is the key to converting 3rd downs the way a team like Clemson does. This is deadly when your offensive line can't hold up and the quarterback is being pressured. It gets the ball out of his hands quickly and converts 3rd and medium situations. Furthermore, teach quarterbacks and receivers how to execute the back shoulder pass that is indefensible even when the receiver is covered.

Show the kid that you believe in him and let him know that you both understand it's a process and mistakes are part of it. You don't need to recruit 4 or 5 star kids just be a facilitator or game manager and keep them handcuffed. You can accomplish that with lesser recruits. Deshaun Watson has thrown 30 interceptions over the past 2 seasons.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

I'm not saying we lost because of the refs but this was pretty egregious OPI. The outside corner isn't able to switch to Renfrow because he's being blocked/tackled..

BamaNation All-SEC Bamafan P.T.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption22 View Post
    the ball was in the air and the WR put his helmet in our DBs midsection to block, after driving him in the endzone. Pass Interference.
    Dabo agrees... except its defensive

https://twitter.com/mcmurphyespn/sta...40805985161216

Is he serious ??

BamaNation All-American

Jess are you or can you do some more analysis sort of summimg up the season and the future? LOL, I need more closure and some way to put this season in perspective.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

News|BB|FB|Rec Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    I'm not saying we lost because of the refs but this was pretty egregious OPI. The outside corner isn't able to switch to Renfrow because he's being blocked/tackled..

the 2nd picture is definitely while the ball is in the air....

BamaNation Third Team

Too many dropped passes also a key factor no one is mentioning much. Bama had 3-4 drops that could have limited possessions for Clemson and maybe added points. Great year, already looking forward to a run next year.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    I'm not as sure as you are on this. With Tua coming in, the spring QB competition is going to be red hot I think. As athletic as JH is and as much as he accomplished, if he doesn't progress a bunch between now and next fall he might be watching instead of playing. Teams had him figured out the whole last part of the season.
    We'll see. I just have a hard time believing Hurts will not improve any. Most incoming freshman quarterbacks get an opportunity to sit for at least a year or more (most of time more), learn the academic/technical side of the game, get used to college life and the increased physical demands of D1/FBS football. I remember the few games AJ McCarron was able to play in the year before he became the starter. He didn't look too hot, then his first year of actually starting he had his struggles. And I believe he was a RS JR if I'm not mistaken. Granted, none of us have a crystal ball into the 2017 season. But just knowing how Hurts is wired and his pedigree (coach's son). I'd put my money on him making huge strides next season.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation First Team PA Tide Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    I've been thinking similar thoughts over the past few games. I've only seen a little bit of Tua throwing the ball but what I have seen he appears to be a better passer than Jalen. I think he's got a decent chance to win the starting job. I'm sure Tua feels that way also since he held firm with his commitment to Alabama after Jalen became the starter.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by PA Tide Fan View Post
    I've been thinking similar thoughts over the past few games. I've only seen a little bit of Tua throwing the ball but what I have seen he appears to be a better passer than Jalen. I think he's got a decent chance to win the starting job. I'm sure Tua feels that way also since he held firm with his commitment to Alabama after Jalen became the starter.
    I get what you're saying. But comparing someone throwing against HS competition compared to an 18 year old true freshman throwing against D1 elite talent and on many Saturdays against future NFL players, isn't the best way to compare two players. When I saw Cooper Bateman's HS recruiting videos I just knew he was going be a great QB for us. I thought the same thing about a few other QB's who we recruited that ultimately didn't pan out.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    Jess are you or can you do some more analysis sort of summimg up the season and the future? LOL, I need more closure and some way to put this season in perspective.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    He'll do a much better job than I would, but here's my two cent's worth. Back as far as the summer, I was concerned that the lack of QB experience would catch up to us at some point, no matter who the QB was. If you had told me then that we would have been 14-1 and SEC champions, I would have been pleased. Jalen will have a year's experience in games as well as another full offseason as the presumed #1 and he should develop further. I think a lot of his issues can be cured with experience. We will lose some stars, but we always do. I don't know who leaves early (Stewart, perhaps; I think Scarborough will need to stay), but we should be in good shape talent-wise.

The schedule in 2017 is not unreasonable. The opener with FSU in the new ATL stadium will be big; the rest of the non-conference schedule is Fresno State, Colorado St., and Mercer(!). We replace a home game with Kentucky with a road game at Vanderbilt and our other road trips are A&M, MSU and Auburn.