JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
January 10th, 2017 03:11 AM

Alabama’s bid to win a second straight national championship fell short thanks to a combination of injuries, a lack of depth on its defensive line that finally came to a head and the struggles of a true freshman quarterback who seemed to run out of gas a […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
If you can't beat 'em, cheat 'em. Clemson did that tonight on two obvious pick plays. I don't blame Clemson one bit, though. That's smart on their part. I blame the officials on those two plays. Still, Clemson is a worthy champion. We'll be back soon.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Great analysis. I'm still so upset that I can't sleep. Bo getting hurt was a major factor. Our d got tired being on the field so long since our offense couldn't sustain drives. But those two pick plays won the game. We should have at least gone into overtime if not for that. Just a heart breaker.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Great job, as usual. I would add that Clemson played this game to win offensively while Alabama was clearly playing not to lose. It was clear that Jalen was told once again that if he could play another clean game with no turnovers that Alabama would win. Didn't work out that way. If Jalen is to improve, he has to be allowed to make mistakes. If Alabama is to win a championship with him at QB, he has to believe in his ability to work the entire field. He won't trust himself until the coaches do.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Pick plays or not, Bama got beat. We couldn't complete the passes that we needed to sustain drives so our D ended up getting tired in the 4th qtr. We couldn't stop Watson from completing 1st down passes. Bama played hard and lost. Good game that didn't end to my liking but I'm proud of the undefeated regular season.
ROLL TIDE.

Bama 13-0

All-SEC
Oct 22, 1999
Clinton, MS
www.tidefans.com
I have a question about "pick plays". In basketball, a pick play is quite obvious, and legal. An offensive player stands still while the guy with the ball runs right past him, which usually results in the defender running smack into the player standing still. OK, that is a pick play in basketball.

In football it's different, but it still involves an offensive player and a defensive player running into each other does it not? If two receivers criss-cross down field in such a way that a defender of one receiver is forced to run into, or change his path to avoid running into, the other receiver then that is a pick play. I may be mistaken, but I don't believe it is a pick play if you get two defenders to run into each other. Isn't that just good offensive football? Get the defenders to take themselves out of the play. What am I missing here?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I have a question about "pick plays". In basketball, a pick play is quite obvious, and legal. An offensive player stands still while the guy with the ball runs right past him, which usually results in the defender running smack into the player standing still. OK, that is a pick play in basketball.

In football it's different, but it still involves an offensive player and a defensive player running into each other does it not? If two receivers criss-cross down field in such a way that a defender of one receiver is forced to run into, or change his path to avoid running into, the other receiver then that is a pick play. I may be mistaken, but I don't believe it is a pick play if you get two defenders to run into each other. Isn't that just good offensive football? Get the defenders to take themselves out of the play. What am I missing here?
The difference is the offensive player is actively trying to impede the defender, not just run his route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
The critical aspect of these is WHO initiated the contact? The bigger onus is on the offensive player to avoid the contact since he knows the route he is running. They are not black and white and I bet you don't get full agreement on both calls last night. IMO with the benefit of the doubt I have a foul on the first one and no call on the second one. The reason on the second one is it appears the defender initiated the contact.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The blue print was laid by LSU and from that point on our passing game and Jalen Hurts began to struggle mightily. He's an 18 year old true freshman and there's no way anyone should have expected this kid to go out there and read defenses on this level at his age. To be honest, we played on house money this year and have defied the odds over the last several years with winning as much as we have with a revolving door each year at the QB position. Well, the revolving door is over with for at least two more years. The unfortunate part is it cost us a NC on the front in, but I'm confident by doing so we may pick up another two before Hurts leaves.

Last edited:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
The critical aspect of these is WHO initiated the contact? The bigger onus is on the offensive player to avoid the contact since he knows the route he is running. They are not black and white and I bet you don't get full agreement on both calls last night. IMO with the benefit of the doubt I have a foul on the first one and no call on the second one. The reason on the second one is it appears the defender initiated the contact.
the ball was in the air and the WR put his helmet in our DBs midsection to block, after driving him in the endzone. Pass Interference.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Jess, thoughts on our running game last night? Averaged 6.5/carry. At least half of our RBs carries went for 4+.

In a game where Hurts averaged 4.2 yds per pass attempt and the RBs averaged 5.6 per carry, shouldn't the RBs have gotten more touches?

We had a 24-14 lead going into the fourth (albeit it was quickly 24-21), and only ran the ball 4 times. Really hard to sustain drives and eat clock when you only run it on 4 of your 16 offensive plays in the final quarter.

We only had 3 first downs in the second half and all were from runs by RBs. Yet, we only gave them 8 carries the entire second half.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Great job, as usual. I would add that Clemson played this game to win offensively while Alabama was clearly playing not to lose. It was clear that Jalen was told once again that if he could play another clean game with no turnovers that Alabama would win. Didn't work out that way. If Jalen is to improve, he has to be allowed to make mistakes. If Alabama is to win a championship with him at QB, he has to believe in his ability to work the entire field. He won't trust himself until the coaches do.
Agreed. He did make one strong throw over the middle on 3rd down, which Dieter dropped. I disagree on the picks taking the shine off Clemsons win, no one will remember them except some Bama fans. Clemson is the better team, congrats to them.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
The blue print was laid by LSU and from that point on our passing game and Jalen Hurts began to struggle mightily. He's an 18 year old true freshman and there's no way anyone should have expected this kid to go out there and read defenses on this level at his age. To be honest, we played on house money this year and have defied the odds over the last several years with winning as much as we have with a revolving door each year at the QB position. Well, the revolving door is over with for at least two more years. The unfortunate part is it cost us a NC on the front in, but I'm confident by doing so we may very pick up another two before Hurts leaves.
I'm not as sure as you are on this. With Tua coming in, the spring QB competition is going to be red hot I think. As athletic as JH is and as much as he accomplished, if he doesn't progress a bunch between now and next fall he might be watching instead of playing. Teams had him figured out the whole last part of the season.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
As angry as I was about both non-OPI calls on those two TDs, Alabama still didn't capitalize much when they forced two TOs - I believe we only got a FG from both TOs. Also, Cam committed at least two, if not three or four pre-snap penalties that killed possible scoring drives. This game reminded me a lot of 2005 USC-Texas, with the media hyping up the potential history-adding achievements of USC, and the hot/upset QB and Texas. That is not me saying that Alabama will slide down like USC did after that game, just what the game felt like in retrospect to other previous NC games.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
IMHO, the loss of Eddie Jackson should not be over looked as having a very detrimental effect on the defense and special teams during last night's game.

Even though this happened earlier in the season....I always felt this would come back and haunt Bama.

Without question, there were many other factors which impacted the game. But I really felt that Eddie's presence on the field always had a very huge impact on player performance.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012

Absolutely. Which was my point prior to the season when I kept saying that there was no reason why Hurts shouldn't be the starter simply due to inexperience. Cooper Bateman was inexperienced also, and the little game experience he had showed absolutely nothing.

Bama had the defense to go out there and win games with a freshman quarterback making mistakes as he developed. They're going to have to let him make some in order to grow. He needs to speed his process up. By that, I mean he needs to set up faster to throw first of all. You have to set up quickly in order to see things quickly. Hurts is typically not even set up to throw 2 seconds into the play. The ball should already be out by then.

Secondly, where Clemson's passing offense is so advanced compared to Alabama's is the sight adjustments. Hunter Renfrow sight adjusts like an NFL slot receiver. Bama's receivers need to be able to read a DB's leverage and sight adjust the route, and the QB needs to be on the same page. This is the key to converting 3rd downs the way a team like Clemson does. This is deadly when your offensive line can't hold up and the quarterback is being pressured. It gets the ball out of his hands quickly and converts 3rd and medium situations. Furthermore, teach quarterbacks and receivers how to execute the back shoulder pass that is indefensible even when the receiver is covered.

Show the kid that you believe in him and let him know that you both understand it's a process and mistakes are part of it. You don't need to recruit 4 or 5 star kids just be a facilitator or game manager and keep them handcuffed. You can accomplish that with lesser recruits. Deshaun Watson has thrown 30 interceptions over the past 2 seasons.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm not saying we lost because of the refs but this was pretty egregious OPI. The outside corner isn't able to switch to Renfrow because he's being blocked/tackled..

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Jess are you or can you do some more analysis sort of summimg up the season and the future? LOL, I need more closure and some way to put this season in perspective.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.